How much weight did you start lifting?

Options
Strictly speaking deadlifts. I started at 85kg 2 days ago and added another 18ish kg worth of plates to my bar so it's somewhere around 100-103kg and I can do 5x6 before I can't push, I do that twice a day so 60 reps a day, not sure if that's too many or not!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    Any strength training requires recuperation. I wouldn't recommend twice a day. Personally I wouldn't even recommend daily but more knowledgeable people might have better answers for you.
    Are you doing other strength training exercises as well? At what frequency?

As for the weight you're using, just be sure you're using proper technique so you don't injure yourself. The risk goes up as the weight goes up, better to focus on proper technique before increasing the weight used
  • callumrayb
    callumrayb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Any strength training requires recuperation. I wouldn't recommend twice a day. Personally I wouldn't even recommend daily but more knowledgeable people might have better answers for you.

As for the weight you're using, just be sure you're using proper technique so you don't injure yourself. The risk goes up as the weight goes up, better to focus on proper technique before increasing the weight used

Hi! Yes I use a belt for my stomach to give me better posture/form and I have had a 1to1 trainer basically go through deadlifts and squat form with me. So I know the basics! Cheers
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that deadlifts are pretty taxing on the central nervous system. Doing them until you can do no more twice a day sounds excessive to me. That said, if you are overdoing it your body should tell you soon enough. I'm also not convinced you should be wearing a belt the whole time - but I'm sure there are those with much more knowledge than me who can comment on that. I'd highly recommend videoing your lifts so you can analyse the form afterwards.

To answer your question, I started at about 40% of bodyweight to dial in decent form and am working my way up slowly. Been doing it consistently (twice a week, once conventional and once sumo) since October and am nowhere near lifting my bodyweight yet. To be fair my 1RM might not be all that far off now, but I'm not fussed about testing it.

It sounds like you're enjoying it, so good for you. Just beware overdoing it because that might set you back, which would be really annoying.
  • nataliepate25
    nataliepate25 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started with 55 kgs but I use a belt to keep my back in perfect shape. Because when I didn't use the belt then my back kept hurting.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You’re deadlifting multiple sets twice a day seven days a week?
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    callumrayb wrote: »
    Lietchi wrote: »

Hi! Yes I use a belt for my stomach to give me better posture/form and I have had a 1to1 trainer basically go through deadlifts and squat form with me. So I know the basics! Cheers

your trainer told you do deadlift twice a day every day? :huh:
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Ouch, I am hurting reading this! If your trainer told you to deadlift this often, I'd fire that one and find one who knows what they are talking about.

Not a professional by any means, but I just started a phase where I'm deadlifting 3 times per week at the top of my workout to focus on increasing strength in that (and one other) lift...and that's the max my 44-year old body could take. I've also been strength training using progressive overload for quite awhile.

Take it from someone who has overuse injuries, you do NOT want to overdo it when you're young because you think you can, because it will catch up to you eventually.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Dude get on one of the programmes linked above. You’re gonna overtrain otherwise.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Echoing the other posters - too much, too heavy, too soon will lead to a bad outcome. At least look into a basic progressive lifting program as a start to build your foundation.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Strictly speaking deadlifts. I started at 85kg 2 days ago and added another 18ish kg worth of plates to my bar so it's somewhere around 100-103kg and I can do 5x6 before I can't push, I do that twice a day so 60 reps a day, not sure if that's too many or not!

If you are novel to lifting then doing one or two sets of five per week will give you enough stimulus to allow for a an strength adaptation. There is no absolutes but, you should be able to keep the lower volume for a couple months before needing more stimulus. Doing more doesn't not equate more strength in this case. Twice a day is absolute over kill and poor load management and I would surely question any trainer that insists it is needed. I would highly recommend to cease the idea that this is a good idea for long term or short term for that matter.

So literally 5-10 reps in two sets is sufficient to drive a adaptation response.

One has to use the valsalva maneuver regardless of belt or not. A belt is not magic. It only gives us the possiblity of lifting heavier weights through the ability to produce more adominal pressuer where once again we should be performing the valsalva maneuver.

Also form has no universal definition that represents everyone therefore it is something we hopefully learn over a long time on a individual basis...not weeks where the intensity doesn't dictate better technique necessarily.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    My first deadlift was with the bar and 2 10lbs plates. I was very skinny and weak coming out of high school. It progressively got better where I got up to 315lbs for 6 good reps. Now with age, I don't do over 245lbs for 5 reps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • callumrayb
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm really enjoying this community and the constructive criticism, I am taking it on board. I think I'll lower it to 5x6 of 80kg 3-4 times a week until I "feel" it's too light I guess? My personal trainer literally just did posture and form as he didn't have much time, he only had about 20 minutes with me and it was quite a while ago (about a year) and my memory is terrible. I think I will also Incorporate some other forms of exercise into my regiment. Any further advice? Thanks!
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of functional training for your legs. They get tons of use from just moving around, so I like motions that help me stay mobile. I am a fan of goblet squats, split legs squats, lunges, hip thrusters, mountain climbers etc. I use very little weight anymore, and my goal is to get as much from my core as anywhere else. My squat and deadlift maxes were always about the same at 495lbs. I think that is about 2.5 kilometers in the metric system.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    ... Any further advice? Thanks!

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/how-to-deadlift/

This article will probably tell you pretty much all you ever need to know about deadlifting.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm really enjoying this community and the constructive criticism, I am taking it on board. I think I'll lower it to 5x6 of 80kg 3-4 times a week until I "feel" it's too light I guess? My personal trainer literally just did posture and form as he didn't have much time, he only had about 20 minutes with me and it was quite a while ago (about a year) and my memory is terrible. I think I will also Incorporate some other forms of exercise into my regiment. Any further advice? Thanks!

I would also advise a structured lifting program to ensure you're actually hitting all of your muscle groups. Winging it often results in spinning your wheels for one...but even worse, muscular imbalances because people tend to skip the things they aren't particularly into.

Optimally you would want to hit every muscle group 2x per week...deadlifts twice per day, everyday is way overkill. The magic that happens with lifting happens in rest and recovery...not doing more and more and more and more.
  • BahstenB10
    BahstenB10 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    It isn't about how much weight you lift but how you lift it ;)
  • callumrayb
    edited March 2021
    Options
    BahstenB10 wrote: »

I now have my belt, lifting technique is okay it seems (my step dad also used to deadlift) I do find getting towards the end of my set my form gets a bit janky though.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    BahstenB10 wrote: »

I now have my belt, lifting technique is okay it seems (my step dad also used to deadlift) I do find getting towards the end of my set my form gets a bit janky though.

Didn't happen unless you video it!!!

No really - video a set from the side, another from the front, and share the links.

You'll have some great response on here if you are remembering the form correctly, or if this jump to max weight so frequent has instilled some problems.