My 600lb Life

Options
So My 600lb life came up recently in a thread and I see a few folks on these message boards watch the show. I watch the show. One thing I have wondered is why does Dr. Now start them on such an extreme deprivation? I assume it's because they are in such bad shape that they need to just sustain their life functions and otherwise lose as much weight as possible so they won't die. But it's so extreme - is it contributing to the many failures? Would love to hear what people think!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery is a tool. Dr Now wants them to be able to do the work of losing weight before their surgery to show them it’s not a simple fix. Most of the episodes I’ve watched, the people are very high risk for surgery. Losing weight helps lessen the surgical risks.

Sometimes I wonder if they have ever watched the show. They almost always fail to initially lose the amount of weight Dr Now sets for them. It’s a huge adjustment from eating incessantly all day, to 1200 calories. I would hope that they would realize what they would have to do before ever contacting Dr Now. It’s really heartbreaking to watch sometimes.

The AA model doesn't work for me personally, but I know it works for a lot of people. I suspect they make Dr. Now their "higher power" and this is why it finally works for them.

Could be the pressure of being on a reality show as well. "The Observer Effect" messes up studies.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I watch frequently and this season has been very frustrating. I want them all to succeed but so far only one patient has gotten surgery before the end of their 2-hr episode. My heart breaks when I hear their traumatic stories about how they got to be in such bad shape, he should start therapy on day 1 song with the diet. Waiting so long doesn’t do anyone any good and can cause more failure. Oh, and their enablers/family need therapy too, many of these individuals are all but bed bound, so they can’t eat food if it isn’t brought to them...

But yes, since they are closely monitored, the 1200 calories isn’t too low for them. It does 2 main things when done properly, 1) slowed them to lose significant weight quickly (a lot of water weight for sure) to make it a little safer for them to have surgery and 2) forces them to realize that after their surgery they physically won’t be able to eat the quantity of food they are accustomed to and that the surgery isn’t a “magic pill”and they still have to put in some work.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Huh, I wonder what's going on with this season. Is it current - during the pandemic?
  • CheerMom715
    CheerMom715 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree with one of the original posters....

Have these people ever watched the show? Don't they realize they are going to be asked to lose at least 100 pounds before having the surgery?

This season has been truly awful. One thing I never fail to be shocked at is how difficult it is for people to make the trip to Houston....I mean down right painful and nearly impossible. Getting them into the vehicle is heartbreaking.

Just knowing I'd have to return in 2 months in that shape would make me afraid to NOT lose weight in that time frame.

Tough season....
  • pfeiferlindsey
    pfeiferlindsey Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    ALZ14 wrote: »
    I watch frequently and this season has been very frustrating. I want them all to succeed but so far only one patient has gotten surgery before the end of their 2-hr episode. My heart breaks when I hear their traumatic stories about how they got to be in such bad shape, he should start therapy on day 1 song with the diet. Waiting so long doesn’t do anyone any good and can cause more failure. Oh, and their enablers/family need therapy too, many of these individuals are all but bed bound, so they can’t eat food if it isn’t brought to them...

But yes, since they are closely monitored, the 1200 calories isn’t too low for them. It does 2 main things when done properly, 1) slowed them to lose significant weight quickly (a lot of water weight for sure) to make it a little safer for them to have surgery and 2) forces them to realize that after their surgery they physically won’t be able to eat the quantity of food they are accustomed to and that the surgery isn’t a “magic pill”and they still have to put in some work.

I think it's for show. Getting them in therapy and having them talk through their issues and develop strategies to cope is less entertaining than watching them struggle to make the changes needed.

Don't forget, the network covers the surgery and all care for the year of filming. I'm cynical, but their goal is ratings. https://www.thelist.com/197393/heres-how-much-the-surgeries-on-my-600-lb-life-cost

I did some research and many insurance companies do actually require some level of counseling before being cleared for surgery.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    So My 600lb life came up recently in a thread and I see a few folks on these message boards watch the show. I watch the show. One thing I have wondered is why does Dr. Now start them on such an extreme deprivation? I assume it's because they are in such bad shape that they need to just sustain their life functions and otherwise lose as much weight as possible so they won't die. But it's so extreme - is it contributing to the many failures? Would love to hear what people think!

It's basically to save their life. It is dangerous for them to eat that little, but it's more dangerous for them to lose the weight at what would be a safer rate, because they need the weight loss surgery sooner rather than later.

By the time a person gets to such an extreme weight, their relationship with food, their hunger and satiety signals, their ability to judge appropriate servings and volume, are all out of whack, and they are probably psychologically resistant to change and typical diet advice. I'd guess theres as much chance they'd fail a few times at a more reasonable deficit (as most of us do!) but there's no time for them to go thru the two lbs down one lb up swings a regular dieter would. They've basically backed themselves into a corner where the only answers are drastic :disappointed: and theyre racing against a ticking time bomb.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    ALZ14 wrote: »

This IMO would be the main reason. The brain doesn't catch up with the surgery. So it's not uncommon for some after to want to eat more than what's the see on the plate after surgery. Until they realize in a few bites that they can't eat large portions anymore like they used to.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kiwilimeade
    kiwilimeade Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have found my people! Love watching 1000 lb sisters, haven't been keeping up on the current season of 600lb but will return to it soon.

I wonder how closely monitored they really are. From what is shown, the first month or two of their journey the people on 600lb life are often living in a different state than Dr. Now and don't move to Texas until they are ready for the surgery. I suppose they might be set up with a more local doctor to help monitor them in the interim, but I wish they would show that in the episodes if that is the case.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I also watch 1000lbs sisters. Tammy is a train wreck and getting worse. I truly wonder if she's gonna make it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I watch 1,000lb Sisters too and it is hard to watch Tammy fall apart like that, especially with Amy doing well (I'm just a few episodes in to Season 2 but it seems to be the case.)
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    For the second bolded - I haven't watched in a while, but when I did, there weren't many failures at all. (I'm assuming you don't mean the INITIAL failure, which is common to all episodes I've seen, but failure by the end of the episode.)

What season has lots of failures?

In this most recent season, more and more the participants can't stick with it long enough to get approved for weight loss surgery, or it seems they need to pick people who live far away from Houston which makes getting to Houston (safely) for weigh-ins and such really hard, and it means they are less invested and not really losing much, so you don't have the same arc of the show where they meet with Dr. Now, they need to lose X amount of weight in the first month or two, then maybe they fall short, they try again, they make it, they get the surgery, and then they get used to post-surgery. They often don't even make it to the surgery portion anymore.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    As mentioned ,i think it's a few reasons.
    1)To lose as much weight as possible because it's dangerous for them to be at these weights.
    2)To prove that they're willing to do the work. Like he tells them, he gives them the tools to succeed but they have to do the work. Initially they all think it is not going to be hard, and once they realize how little they will now eat ,they can't do it.
    3)To make it to a safer weight for the surgery. The strain on their heart with all this weight is huge and they're at risk for cardiac arrest during surgery.
    4) To show them and make them realize that after surgery this is how their life will have to be from now on. Small meals, low calories,protein rich diet .Basically you can kiss the complex carbs goodbye after surgery. I think you need to take supplements for the rest of your life, so your regular meals would have to have nutritional value.

What surprises me most are their enablers. You can cuss and swear as much as you like from that bed, but i ain't bringing you any of that stuff .I know if you love someonetheir weight shouldn't matter ,but the truth is if you love them you should never have let them get to that weight.
    Yeah, I don't get the enablers. Like what are the 600lbs gonna do? Get up and kick your *kitten*? :D And it would very easy to call any fast food place and let them know NOT to accept any orders from the phone number or address for delivery.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    By dropping calories and getting some weight off helps shrink the liver. An oversized liver can interfere with the surgery.