Shoes or bare feet?

2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,888 Member
    I was barefoot a lot more before developing knee issues. Now I like the support. Still barefoot for yoga.

I have indoor-only shoes.

When I lived in Okinawa my landlord was adamant about no shoes in the house, and I liked that policy, and wish I could convince family members to do the same, or at least have indoor-only shoes.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    After 2 broken toes, ripping ligaments in both ankles, and wearing out my plant plate on one foot, it's shoes. Always. Even in the shower.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Socks for dancing, bare feet for everything else.
  • siobhanaoife
    siobhanaoife Posts: 150 Member
    Shoes for elliptical because the treads hurt my feet otherwise.

Shoes for weight bearing exercise in general because I need the support to prevent knee injuries and accommodate some foot problems.
  • Arralethe
    Arralethe Posts: 222 Member
    Yoga is barefoot, on my mat. Lifting or aerobics is in trainers, for foot and ankle support.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    I have socks that have rubber on the soles, I use those when I'm at my apartment... if I'm visiting my parents I have a pair of shoes I only use inside the house
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    edited March 2021
    Shoes, I have flat feet and doing any home gym equipment barefooted would risk injury. Plus, having proper arch support helps proper form and efficiency.
  • Whatsthemotive
    Whatsthemotive Posts: 145 Member
    I wear some sort of supportive shoe all the time. I even have slippers from an orthopedic shoe store. I have unusual foot and ankle issues though.
  • cyfehr76
    cyfehr76 Posts: 45 Member
    Non-weight workouts especially kickboxing...barefoot. It helps with balance. Anything else...shoes.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I use a pair of crocs for my elliptical trainer but barefoot for weight training, stretching and yoga.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Bare foot or barefoot style very minimalist shoes. Every workout is in this style. Heavy lift days, runs, long hikes, aerobics, etc. I transitioned to barefoot after 2 separate bouts of stress fractures about 15-16 years ago and have not looked back. My lower legs gained so much strength and I have not dealt with shin splints or the horrible stress fractures since.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited March 2021
    Shoes. Feel like I have more balance. I have a couple pairs of indoor only shoes (only put them on when exercising).
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,165 Member
    Shoes. I've a pair dedicated to indoor use. I need the support. I roll my ankles frequently, going on week 3 of tenderness from the last one, and after I had plantar fasciitis I realized I need the support.
  • Grace_spaceship
    Grace_spaceship Posts: 80 Member
    Barefoot indoors where socially acceptable. Barefoot shoes (I love vivobarefoot) pretty much everywhere else!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Of course we all wear shoes when we're doing stuff like spin bike or treadmill (not that I have one, sadly). The question is what to wear when you're doing a "rug workout" of some kind. I do a combo of ab-crunches, push-ups, bar curls, and bands. Except for abs, I don't like doing it barefoot, so it do it in my indoor Ugs. I've also had a pair of indoor-only Crocks that were great for the purpose.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    I wear shoes most of the times. When I'm indoor cycling I'm using my cycling shoes with cleats. When I'm lifting I use shoes with elevated heels and a big flat sole. Not using shoes when I'm doing body weight exercises, stretching etc.
  • ZNnerissa
    ZNnerissa Posts: 26 Member
    If I am jumping rope or doing any sort of cardio then shoes. For strength training I prefer barefoot.
  • Bandiiit31
    Bandiiit31 Posts: 20 Member
    I'll go barefoot when I'm at home. I don't like wearing shoes on my carpet and socks make me feel like I'm going to slide all over the place.
  • barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    No shoes if it's carpet or there's a mat involved. But...most of my workouts are on a spin bike or in my basement (concrete floor), In which case I wear an old pair of Reebok HIIT trainers
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Leg day where squats and dead's would have a negative effect from unequal leg length issue, I wear flats with insert on required side.
    Upper day barefoot.
    Barefoot as much as possible to keep feet strong.

That's it for in the house.
    If trail running and no snow I do minimalist shoes (Merrell or 5FG until they fall apart).
    Road or path is 0 drop semi-minimalist for attempted most natural foot movement.