working out at home

What are your tips for working out in your home?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Do it! YouTube videos.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I am a real fan of the Switch Ring Fit Adventure. Good thing, as it was my justification for buying a Switch for my birthday last Fall. I am getting soooo much better at squats with this motivation for so very much practice. I am on one of the swing levels, but I am supposed to jump over the monsters, and I keep messing up the timing, so I have done it until I can't squat anymore and need to take a day off :)

I also like Fitness Blender videos, which they have for all kinds of exercises, from body weight to kettle balls to cardio to stretching, and all fitness levels.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    I do Sydney Cummings workouts and I live in a schoolie so it is VERY possible! She has grsat mods to if you are just starting out! If she is to hard hasfit tribe and fit by amy are good ones! All of them are on youtube for free!
    LORD JESUS bless
  • I bought some kettlebells which are arriving tomorrow. I've written a home work out plan that I'm going to do 4xperweek
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Here is what I did.

First, I'm in muscle building mode right now since I cut last year. I have 4 compound exercises I do.

1. Pull ups using a pullup bar that goes into your doorway. I have exercise bands to provide assistance. I do 4 sets, first with no assistance, then use the bands for the other 3.

2. Military/Overhead press. You need a bar for this, but I have an olympic bar. Started with just the bar, now am adding weights.

3. Push ups. Use the same pull up bar to do push ups.

4. Squats. This is the hard one. I haven't found a good way to do this at home and yesterday gave in and bought a squat rack. It will arrive in a few weeks.

I'm in my 50s and have put on about 4 pounds of muscle in a little over a month. It's been amazing results. I'm now getting worried I may get "chicken legs" if I don't start hitting my legs more. I wasn't expecting this amount of gains in 1 month. Although, it may be slowing down now.

Protein is 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.

If your cutting, then just cut calories, use MFP to track everything, and walk, bike, etc.., to add to the calorie cut. Cutting is about patience. Slow and steady is the best way I think.
  • Gymladmatt
    Gymladmatt Posts: 391 Member
    jtechmart wrote: »
    Here is what I did.

First, I'm in muscle building mode right now since I cut last year. I have 4 compound exercises I do.

1. Pull ups using a pullup bar that goes into your doorway. I have exercise bands to provide assistance. I do 4 sets, first with no assistance, then use the bands for the other 3.

2. Military/Overhead press. You need a bar for this, but I have an olympic bar. Started with just the bar, now am adding weights.

4. Squats. This is the hard one. I haven't found a good way to do this at home and yesterday gave in and bought a squat rack. It will arrive in a few weeks.

I'm in my 50s and have put on about 4 pounds of muscle in a little over a month. It's been amazing results. I'm now getting worried I may get "chicken legs" if I don't start hitting my legs more. I wasn't expecting this amount of gains in 1 month. Although, it may be slowing down now.

If your cutting, then just cut calories, use MFP to track everything, and walk, bike, etc.., to add to the calorie cut. Cutting is about patience. Slow and steady is the best way I think.

How many times per week are you training? Well done on the muscle building 👍
  • PrincezzPri
    PrincezzPri Posts: 10 Member
    Everything starts from within. Discipline and determination!
    Create a space that takes as little daily seting up as possible, create a time, get your fuel together, prepping is very helpful, set an alarm and be your own motivational coach! Find videos on youtube, set a workout schedule for the week, set a timer and never give up on yourself!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited March 2021
    What are your tips for working out in your home?

What kind of workout? That's pretty broad and could mean a lot of different things. The only workout I do in my home is my cycling workouts on Zwift. They're twice per week...I prefer to do my "free rides" outdoors and my training workouts indoors on Zwift, but sometimes I just do my free rides on Zwift as well if the weather is bad...like today, 40+ MPH gusts with blowing sand.

I've tried doing my resistance training at home, but I just don't get it done. I prefer the gym and the plethora of equipment and overall atmosphere of the gym for lifting...that's also 2x per week.

For my bike, we have a "multi-purpose" room in the house that the kids use for their distance learning classroom and it's also their gaming/play room and we have a couple twin murphy beds that pull down for when we have guests. I just have my bike set up in there on my direct drive trainer with a 20" industrial fan in front of my set up to keep me cool.

I think the best bet for getting anything done at home is to either have minimal equipment and/or to have the space to keep that equipment more or less set and ready to use with minimal effort. It can be hard enough sometimes just to get going and get 'er done without the added process of having to spend 15 minutes getting everything out and set up to go and then having to put it all back again. There were other reasons I rarely used my previous indoor bike trainer, but not having a more or less permanent setup was a big one.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    like today, 40+ MPH gusts with blowing sand.

But you could be getting in your exfoliating with your ride!

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    tips as in...
    1. What equipment is the best bang for your buck?
    2. What workouts to do?
    3. What should the space look like and be set up like?
    4. Motivation to work out at home?

tough question to answer without those specifics
  • jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    jtechmart wrote: »
    Here is what I did.

How many times per week are you training? Well done on the muscle building 👍

I'm doing 3 days per week. So Mon-Wed-Fri, I workout at 5:30am. Its been working well so far and I'm just working with what I can for now. I'll probably get back to the gym after month 4. But, as I noted before, I'm not sure I'm still getting gains. My body seems to have adapted fairly well. I'm just going to keep going and not worry about it for now. See where things are after month 4 (June 1), then do another cut in the summer. Then decide where to go from there.
  • dmahlin67
    dmahlin67 Posts: 1 Member
    I'm 53 and Pre-Covid I had a solid year plus (after many years of on/off) of regular 5:30 am gym visits alternating with 3-5 mile runs. Quarantine did away with that and I had to figure out something new. Mid-summer 2020 I acquired a set of Bowflex adjustable dumbbells and they have changed my life - to the point that I may never join a gym again. Here's a few things that make it work for me:

1. I get up about 4:45 in the morning - 90-120 minutes before anyone else in the house so I lay may workout clothes out in the bathroom before bed so I can jump up and get dressed without disturbing my wife or fumbling around in the dark.

2. My dumbbells are in my family room behind a chair which I move out of the way while working out. A collapsible bench is just on the other side of my garage door which is accessible from the family room. Having whatever you need close at hand is key.

3. The Bowflex Selectech app has pre-loaded workouts that are the bomb. I have made more gains in the last year than ever before. Consistency combined with a great program.

4. I am training for a half-marathon using the Runkeeper app to keep me on track. Also just started using Plank workout app for core work.

5. I use a Google calendar to plan my morning routines 1-2 weeks out. I schedule my lifting in and around whatever my Runkeeper training app has in store for me. So I get up, check my calendar on my phone to see what I am doing that morning. I start about 5:30 and finish up between 6:45 and 7:00. Making and following a plan is critical for me. No plan means I half-*kitten* my way through and wuss out early.

6. At the risk of TMI: I take 2 teaspoons of metamucil every night after dinner. Then when I get up at 4:45, I dress, guzzle down about 24 oz of water with a coupel teaspoons of ACV, then a Bang energy drink, creatine capsules and Glucosamine Condoitin capsules. Within a few minutes of finishing that regimen, I had for the bathroom and the rest is history... literally! It goes fast and clean and that's it for the day. Get yourself regular and your whole workout will be more pleasant!
  • TommyTS88
    TommyTS88 Posts: 28 Member
    Beachbody has been amazing for me especially without equipment. I was able to purchase a few things for at home over time and now I have a decent little set up. It’s in my kitchen though lol I had make the wife give up some space!!! Good luck!!
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    I have 325 lbs of plates, dumbbells, bands, standard bar and a bench. Also TRX.

I’m 50 and in excellent shape.

I make time and stick to it. It’s part of my schedule like cleaning, working, making dinner, etc
  • serapel wrote: »
    I have 325 lbs of plates, dumbbells, bands, standard bar and a bench. Also TRX.

I’m 50 and in excellent shape.

I make time and stick to it. It’s part of my schedule like cleaning, working, making dinner, etc

So we're all popping round to your place for a lifting session and post workout meal then 😜