Food Quirks?

MsCzar
MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
I imagine that most everyone here is perhaps more than a wee bit food obsessed.

On that note: Do you have any food-related habits unique to you? Completely unwrapping and dividing a candy/nutrition bar before eating? Eating plated food in a certain order? A must-have fave mug without which tea or coffee just doesn't taste as good?

For me, I refuse to do any kitchen clean-up immediately after a meal. I may rinse a dish in the sink, but it's almost always a 30 minute kitchen walk-away – usually with hot cup of either tea or coffee. Also, it's very important to me to fully enjoy my food, so I avoid eating whilst driving, walking or standing. Oh, and I prefer to eat hot meals from a thoroughly warmed thick stoneware plate.

What are your unique food-related quirks?

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited March 2021
    M&Ms.

We get the big party packs from a vendor and sometimes I take the plain ones home. I then divide the colors into 3 bags...red and black, orange and yellow, and green. The blue ones get thrown out. I go through the bags in that order but there has to be an even number eaten and it has to be one of each color.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    edited March 2021
    glassyo wrote: »
    M&Me.

We get the big party packs from a vendor and sometimes I take the plain ones home. I then divide the colors into 3 bags...red and black, orange and yellow, and green. The blue ones get thrown out. I go through the bags in that order but there has to be an even number eaten and it has to be one of each color.

OMG- I'm so having flashbacks to my first office job in a secretarial pool that involved a lot of time on the phone. The woman whose desk faced mine started every morning by dumping an entire 1/2 lb bag of plain M&Ms on her disk, then sorting and laying them out in a grid pattern along one side of her desk so that no two of the same color were next to each other. She would proceed to spend the remainder of the day licking her red-taloned index and middle finger, using the moisture to adhere an M&M to each finger, and eating the entire bag two at a time--her head cocked to one side cradling the phone to her ear (in the days before headsets.) No surprise, she weighed 300+.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I like a specific spoon, fork and knife. I keep my special utensils away from the others because they are just for me. Same with a few bowls and plates.
  • glassyo
    glassyo wrote: »
    M&Me.

OMG- I'm so having flashbacks to my first office job in a secretarial pool that involved a lot of time on the phone. The woman whose desk faced mine started every morning by dumping an entire 1/2 lb bag of plain M&Ms on her disk, then sorting and laying them out in a grid pattern along one side of her desk so that no two of the same color were next to each other. She would proceed to spend the remainder of the day licking her red-taloned index and middle finger, using the moisture to adhere an M&M to each finger, and eating the entire bag two at a time--her head cocked to one side cradling the phone to her ear (in the days before headsets.) No surprise, she weighed 300+.

That's...excessive. 😀

But I used to wrap those fruit leather things around my finger and scrape/suck it off AND SHUT UP ANY BOYS READING THAT!

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    Lol! I think my entire food life is one big quirk! 😋😂
    Let's start with 2 speci mugs- one for plant protein- which I drink hot like cocoa- one for coffee. Then one for night tea and one for work.

I have tofu, cinnamon and stevia about every day and have since around 2008.

I don't eat carbs with protein, fat with carbs and eat fruit alone. I have vegetables first. There are exceptions. (A plain rice cake with peanut butter, seeds or nut butter and oats )

I do not trust restaurants at all.
    I LOVE counting calories.!
    Do NOT try to take coffee away. Ever
    I read labels front to back. Sometimes two or more times.
    I drink coffee black with nutpod on the side. I take a drink coffee then sip of nutpod. I read scripture and the Bible with coffee every morning 🌄

I am vegan.
    Iam sure there's more but for now.... 😊😁

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    I caused controversy with this one before...

If I'm having a salad as a part of a meal, I prefer it at the END of the meal, rather than before or with the main course. I just find it a refreshing palate-cleanser!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    edited March 2021
    I always eat the best thing last. I also eat each part of my meal in order until it is gone. Always have the least good thing first.

I had mixing things and like to eat all of one thing before moving on. (Like I will eat my salad first, then all my vegetables, then my chicken).

I see people unwrap and eat in the wrapper but I have to take them fully out of the wrapper before eating them.
  • glassyo
    I caused controversy with this one before...

If I'm having a salad as a part of a meal, I prefer it at the END of the meal, rather than before or with the main course. I just find it a refreshing palate-cleanser!

I feel the same way about chocolate! :)

@Noreenmarie1234
    I always eat the best thing last. I also eat each part of my meal in order until it is gone. Always have the least good thing first.

I had mixing things and like to eat all of one thing before moving on. (Like I will eat my salad first, then all my vegetables, then my chicken).

I do that too. Hence the green m&ms thing.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited March 2021
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Also, it's very important to me to fully enjoy my food, so I avoid eating whilst driving, walking or standing.

I don't think I have many quirks, but above is definitely one of mine, if it counts as a quirk.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I eat mini Triscuits or Triscuit thin crisps (plain flavor) almost every day. I look for certain ones when I eat them (like certain colors) and eat those first. Not sure why, but maybe a way for me to make eating more mindful so I don't just scarf them down.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    I have to eat spinach every day, often multiple times a day, and I will put spinach in almost anything. Soup, stew, eggs, salads, rice, sauteed ... my husband thinks I'm nuts. I must always have spinach in my fridge, I can never run out of it. A bit weird I know.
  • lx1x
    lx1x Posts: 38,308 Member
    Although I luv rice... Can't eat em plain...I add soy sauce most of the time..
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    shetland wrote: »
    I won't eat standing up.
    I also won't eat any "food replacements" like fake meat, fake eggs, dairy-free "dairy" products, fat free cheese, any type of sugar replacement, even "natural" ones.

This is me, except for the sugar one - I'm the opposite on that, and have gradually reduced my sugar and replaced with maple syrup or honey. I have an end goal of only eating food raised or grown within 300 miles or so of my house. (This is a long-term ongoing project. I might be researching how to grow coffee and lemons as houseplants. :p )
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I very very very rarely eat fried food of any kind, but will occasionally get a craving for french fries--which is the only time I will go through a drive-thru.

But they better be HOT and CRISP. Give me a limp, soggy fry, and I'll circle the building and be back in line again expecting replacements.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    I have to have my warm food warm. I will reheat or prepare part of my meal at a time to make sure it is optimal temperature.

I will wait to toast my sandwich until I am done with or already eating my veggies/salad. I can't stand when my hot chicken is sitting getting cold while eating other things.
  • glassyo
    When I used to eat in fast food restaurants and got a grilled chicken salad, the chicken had to be in a separate container. I didn't like the warm chicken on the cold salad.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    I have to have my warm food warm. I will reheat or prepare part of my meal at a time to make sure it is optimal temperature.

I will wait to toast my sandwich until I am done with or already eating my veggies/salad. I can't stand when my hot chicken is sitting getting cold while eating other things.

This. I'd rather burn my mouth eating than eat cold or lukewarm food.
    Gets on my nerves every time we get together with family for thanksgiving, and after having the food on the table (often no lids on) they go "let's pray." I'm just sitting there thinking that the food is getting cold.

I eat my least favourite thing on the plate first.

I do not eat the ends of the bananas.

Don't have this quirk anymore, but went through a phase as a kid that I didn't want different foods touching at all. This would often require 3 plates per meal for me.