What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    edited March 2021
    zwf8xvs5fx4q.png
    this looks really good

This would put me off my breakfast for sure.

My dislikes in general tend to be texture based. I like many kinds of potatoes, but not mashed. I can just about tolerate them if they are smashed, with the skins on. Same with the runny eggs.

However, grapefruit. My parents got us a monthly citrus box subscription for Christmas, which is great - DH eats citrus like I used to eat ice cream. Last month was grapefruit <shudder> I tried one section ewwww. I tried another section the next day, peeling off all of the stuff that holds it together and just slurping the pulp. NO NO NO. Even when Mom used to do the grapefruit diet, piling sugar on did not make it appealing to me.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Runny eggs are gross. The only liquid part of my eggs should be the melted butter and hot sauce.

I had a traumatizing experience with an unhatched egg when I was small, and to this day cannot stand runny eggs. (Teacher thought it was a playground teaching moment to open an unhatched egg found near the playground. There was a little wing and beak in the yolk, and 5 year old me realized for the first time what the yolk in a soft boiled egg was. I was horrified lol) I can't NOT think of it as undercooked liquid bird :blush:

I'm so sorry this happened to you! That would be horrifying!

On a few occasions I have cracked an egg to discover it's fertilized (this almost never happens with commercial chicken eggs because even if there is a rooster around somewhere, they are kept separately from the hens except for breeding). On those occasions the chick stops developing and appears as a very small red dot on the surface of the yolk. A yolk itself is not a baby bird, but the food source for the bird before it hatches (birds are birds and mammals are mammals, but its role is somewhat analogous to the placenta in mammals, if that helps.)

Most of the eggs people consume are unfertilized by design, so no need to worry that you're eating a baby bird. :)

Oh yeah, I know. It's just a childhood level understanding seared in my brain :lol: I didn't really complete that thought in my post, but logic and improved understanding be damned, I like my eggs cooked thru!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

Oh yeah, I know. It's just a childhood level understanding seared in my brain :lol: I didn't really complete that thought in my post, but logic and improved understanding be damned, I like my eggs cooked thru!

That makes sense! Sorry to assume.

The only time I ever ate a Cadbury creme egg, when I was ten or so, I got violently ill afterwards. It was a 24 hour bug and my whole family came down with it. But my stomach still churns if I see or smell one!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    foodieizzy wrote: »
    Dark chocolate is the best chocolate.

I do agree with you under most circumstances, but on occasion milk chocolate is good!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    I DISPISE grapefruit flavored things (but like grapefruit on occasion)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I think disagrees are desireable in this thread; it means you've hit upon something truly unpopular!

Good point! :D
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Often, but not always. I like most foods (and can't think of any veg I don't like, and so far as that goes I also like organ meats in many contexts and love trying new cuisines and am lucky enough to live in a city with many such options), but there are definitely some things I cannot stand. A weird one is grapefruit, which most seem to love. I wanted to love it as a kid and hated it, and periodically try it and dislike it still. Another is caraway seeds. Still another is canned tuna, especially but not only with mayo (but I love grilled tuna and tuna sashimi and almost all fish -- I think I dislike catfish, but that could be one I haven't had prepared in a way I'd like it).

I would differentiate between having some foods one does not like (which is common enough) and being ridiculously picky (which for some people is because of sensory issues but for others is just being unwilling to try stuff or stuck on what they liked and didn't as a kid or having only had things prepared poorly, sure). I can't deal well with pickiness so tend to stay out of threads where that is the issue.

I also think that this thread lends itself to more extreme pronouncements as it's part of the fun.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I think sensory issues in my family probably play a huge role with how I look at pickiness generally. I don't think I've seen many threads on it; I should probably avoid those for my own good. When I left home it was like a whole new world opened up. I discovered a lot of things and it was great! Which is part of how I gained weight to begin with, but also how I'm losing it!

I do have some things I don't like, but I just figure it's me. If millions of people like it and have eaten it for centuries (or decades, though I'll admit to being suspicious of some new things), it's probably not objectively bad in terms of flavor. Just unfamiliar.

When I left home, I discovered that vegetables weren’t always mushy, watery lumps that tasted like cardboard. Some of them are yummy!

I also agree that often if you don’t like something, you just need to try again. But sometimes it’s because your body really doesn’t like it. I even had a Dr. tell me what I already suspected. If you’ve already given it several chances, and you like it less instead of more, it may be something that if you keep eating it, you’ll eventually develop an allergy to it. Then that happened to someone I know. He disliked broccoli and cauliflower, but ate a little occasionally if he thought it was the polite thing to do. Now he carries an epi pen, just in case.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Grapefruit is one of the things I just can’t eat. If I have one this morning, I’ll have 3-5 before the sun goes down, and more tomorrow, so I just never take the first bite.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

I honestly can't think of a single grapefruit-flavored thing...except maybe some drinks, like LaCroix water?
  • Arietty32
    Arietty32 Posts: 77 Member
    I hate the smell of butter
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

I honestly can't think of a single grapefruit-flavored thing...except maybe some drinks, like LaCroix water?

Fresca is supposed to be, but I like it, so it's probably not very authentic.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Salads don't need a "recipe". I always see people saying oh I need a salad recipe. I am always like just put all the veggies you like on it and dressing of choice! I can't imagine needing ideas for salads. So many possibilities come to mind.

I actually don't follow recipes for anything really besides baking. I always just throw together things the way I think would be good with the spices and ingredients I want.

There used to be newspaper columns pre-internet, where people would write in asking for recipes for particular things. (One example was someone looking for a "good recipe for Egg McMuffin" 😆). I remember seeing a request asking for a recipe for "pasta salad with something other than elbow macaroni". We laughed and laughed . . . !
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    edited March 2021
    Mushrooms of any type and prepared any way taste bad. They are, after all, a fungus. lol.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I also agree that often if you don’t like something, you just need to try again. But sometimes it’s because your body really doesn’t like it. I even had a Dr. tell me what I already suspected. If you’ve already given it several chances, and you like it less instead of more, it may be something that if you keep eating it, you’ll eventually develop an allergy to it. Then that happened to someone I know. He disliked broccoli and cauliflower, but ate a little occasionally if he thought it was the polite thing to do. Now he carries an epi pen, just in case.

Oh, I hadn't thought about that before! That's interesting.

I recently discovered I have a shellfish allergy. I've actually probably had it for several years, but didn't make the connection for a while because I ate it so rarely and there was usually some complicating factor I could blame it on. But I really liked it, so I'm very sad about no crab ever again. :(
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited March 2021
    raymax4 wrote: »
    I don't like oranges. Too much work to eat and I hate the fibrous white parts. You can never get all the white strings off.

Where are you getting your oranges?

Wegmans or Whole Foods haha

I'm with you, but I do like the taste. I've recently re-discovered navel oranges. They have a thick peel that comes off easily and a thick navel that is easily taken off. Just a little white stuff that you can easily scrape off with a sharp pairing knive.

wq97bhfzlqlp.png
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,242 Member
    Salads don't need a "recipe". I always see people saying oh I need a salad recipe. I am always like just put all the veggies you like on it and dressing of choice! I can't imagine needing ideas for salads. So many possibilities come to mind.

I have asked for salad ideas in the past. I get stuck in a rut and it's like all creativity goes out the window. So I ask others what their favorite salad items and combinations are. Same with looking for salad "recipes" online. It's how I found some of my favorite like roasted beets with goat cheese or a salad with coconut chicken and honey mustard dressing.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    My unpopular opinion is...

Soups and salads are not a meal. Salad is a side dish, at best, and I've yet to find a reason for soup to exist :wink:

I know both of these things are supposed to keep me full without spending too many calories, but I find the satiety short lived. I would rather have a sandwich (with some form of leafy goodness in there somewhere) than eat a soup or salad.

Salads definitely have their place, and I enjoy them with a wide variety of meals, but they are a side act to the main contender.