Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

1122123125127128200

Replies

  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,236 Member Member Posts: 7,236 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    From watching other people's behavior, and talking to them, I think this might be an unpopular opinion, or at least an uncommon applied one:

    It's fun to buy, cook & eat foods I've never had before, that I need to research to figure out how to cook and eat.

    Agreed. When I first started getting my produce box from a farm, in the spring and fall I'd get things I hadn't worked with much, if at all, or just need more variety because it was mostly all greens or mostly all root veg and winter squash, and so I'd look for ideas and new ways to use them. Greene on Greens was one of my go-tos for that.

    This was much simpler when I could walk up to anyone at an ethnic shop and ask that person how they would use new to me ingredient. Always willing to help. Now thats out the window for a while.

    True, although I've always preferred looking things up to be honest.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,236 Member Member Posts: 7,236 Member
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Oooh, I just thought of one that'll be very unpopular.

    Peanut butter is one of those things that you either grow up with or you don't. I know maybe two people who grew to like it as adults, and I'm not one of them.

    I grew to like it as an adult. I think it's largely just because I like the just peanuts and salt type more than more common commercial peanut butters. Also because I'm picky about bread so hated peanut butter sandwiches (with or without jelly), which was the main way people consumed it when I was a kid.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,236 Member Member Posts: 7,236 Member
    I don't like strawberries.

    I only like local, in-season strawberries (from the farmer's market, since rabbits seem to really like the strawberries I try to grow in my garden). I also like frozen ones a lot. Out of season or traveled far strawberries have no taste.

    Some of the farmers at my farmer's market have lots of different varieties of strawberries and it is fun and interesting to compare the different varietals.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,236 Member Member Posts: 7,236 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Doughnuts are hugely overrated unless it's a chocolate with red chille and bacon from Rebel.

    Donuts are not the best. Really.

    The only donuts I care about are apple cider donuts.
  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Member Posts: 9,442 Member Member Posts: 9,442 Member
    ...and I've never liked a jam/jelly pb sandwich. Just like the pb on toast/bread, etc.,
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,236 Member Member Posts: 7,236 Member
    That NuttZo looks interesting. But I mostly use nut butter as an addition to smoothies and it's easy to just choose my own mix of nuts/seeds vs. actual nut butter.
    edited July 2020
  • ejbronteejbronte Member Posts: 865 Member Member Posts: 865 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    ejbronte wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Soup is one of my favorite things.

    I like soup now more than I used to: it started when I had to take over the kitchen for my parents after they got sick. With some hubris and ambition, I decided to make chicken soup from scratch. First time around, it was a whole-day affair, but it was kind of exciting. Each time, things got a little better; it taught me a lot, including about the integrity and skill involved in making a good soup.

    This time of the year, I enjoy tossing vegetables in my Vitamix and mixing up a week's worth of gazpacho. Similar is a salmorejo, and I think I'd like to try that this year too (https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/salmorejo), probably minus the jamon serrano. Winter time is for onion soup, which I have yet to really master, but it's a lot of fun trying!

    I love gazpacho and haven't had it yet this year. I will fix that this week, thanks for the reminder!

    My pleasure! I hope you enjoy it!
  • silverpl2525silverpl2525 Member Posts: 138 Member Member Posts: 138 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Bananas are a creation of Satan.
    I use to love them! Then, one fine day....I ate one and got hives and my throat itched. I guess my body went on an allergic strike. Nevermore can I have a banana, so you might be onto something.

  • Noreenmarie1234Noreenmarie1234 Member Posts: 6,548 Member Member Posts: 6,548 Member
    I really hate the apple & peanut butter combo.
  • sardelsasardelsa Member Posts: 9,834 Member Member Posts: 9,834 Member
    I don't really like peanut butter in dessert. I love it on toast or pancakes. Cookies are ok. But in a cake or pie, or even in ice cream. Nope I'll pass.
  • RelCanonicalRelCanonical Member Posts: 3,884 Member Member Posts: 3,884 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I don't really like peanut butter in dessert. I love it on toast or pancakes. Cookies are ok. But in a cake or pie, or even in ice cream. Nope I'll pass.

    Interesting, this has made me think about my own peanut butter tastes. I'm not a big fan of peanut butter by itself in desserts (e.g. just sweet peanut butter flavor), but I love it with chocolate (I'm the same with mint), or with strawberry (because nostalgia).
  • 33gail3333gail33 Member Posts: 664 Member Member Posts: 664 Member
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    Oooh, I just thought of one that'll be very unpopular.

    Peanut butter is one of those things that you either grow up with or you don't. I know maybe two people who grew to like it as adults, and I'm not one of them.

    I never had peanut butter as a kid (because my mom didn't like it) and love it. I grew up being told it was gross and didn't eat it until well into adulthood. I will literally eat it straight out of the jar now. Has to be crunchy.
  • VegjoyPVegjoyP Member Posts: 1,574 Member Member Posts: 1,574 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    This sounds absolutely yummmmm...except the price avail. in my country.....$17-20🙄
    l3flcpghdbop.png

    this is my current favorite nut butter.

    It is awesome, I love the Nutzo nut butters!
  • VegjoyPVegjoyP Member Posts: 1,574 Member Member Posts: 1,574 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I don't like strawberries.

    I only like local, in-season strawberries (from the farmer's market, since rabbits seem to really like the strawberries I try to grow in my garden). I also like frozen ones a lot. Out of season or traveled far strawberries have no taste.

    Some of the farmers at my farmer's market have lots of different varieties of strawberries and it is fun and interesting to compare the different varietals.

    I also am not a fan of strawberries. I live strawberry preserves and jam. Sweetened strawberry type things in summer. To me even the most ripe are a bit sour
  • thatsmejbthatsmejb Member Posts: 72 Member Member Posts: 72 Member
    Ketchup is disgusting!!!
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,236 Member Member Posts: 7,236 Member
    I really hate the apple & peanut butter combo.

    Me too, although I like peanut butter fine and love apples plain.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,236 Member Member Posts: 7,236 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I don't like strawberries.

    I only like local, in-season strawberries (from the farmer's market, since rabbits seem to really like the strawberries I try to grow in my garden). I also like frozen ones a lot. Out of season or traveled far strawberries have no taste.

    Some of the farmers at my farmer's market have lots of different varieties of strawberries and it is fun and interesting to compare the different varietals.

    I also am not a fan of strawberries. I live strawberry preserves and jam. Sweetened strawberry type things in summer. To me even the most ripe are a bit sour

    I generally don't like fruit sweetened, although I do like desserts featuring fruit. But just the fruit on its own (or with something like yogurt or oats), I don't want any additional sweetener.
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 6,048 Member Member Posts: 6,048 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I really hate the apple & peanut butter combo.

    Me too, although I like peanut butter fine and love apples plain.

    I don't like apples in general... only in apple crisp or apple pie.
  • SuzySunshine99SuzySunshine99 Member Posts: 2,209 Member Member Posts: 2,209 Member
    I only buy honeycrisp apples.
    I will tolerate a granny smith if handed one.
    All other apples are mealy and terrible.
    Why do red delicious apples exist and who can I sue for false advertising?
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 7,236 Member Member Posts: 7,236 Member
    There are a number of good apples, but part of it depends on where you buy them. I do prefer Honeycrisp for just plain eating, but I also quite like Jonagold, Pink Lady, Fuji, Braeburn, Granny Smith, among others. There are some more niche varietals that I don't think I've had, but have heard good things about, and I can't remember the names of all I've had and liked.

    Apples aren't even close to my favorite fruit (although I prefer them a lot to bananas, which are okay but incredibly overrated), but they can be delicious if one is in the mood for them and they are crisp and cold. And saying they aren't my favorite isn't a slam on apples, but a positive for berries, cherries, peaches and plums and pears, clementines, kiwi, pineapple, mango, etc. (Regular oranges I like about the same as apples, and grapes and melon I like less, although I still like them fine, except for watermelon with seeds, which is more trouble than it's worth. The only fresh fruit I can think of that I actually dislike is grapefruit.)
Sign In or Register to comment.