Lower calories?

Options
I am 240 lbs and eating 1750 calories. I do eat some of my exercise calories, but not all, usually 100-200 after burning 300. I am not losing at all and I’ve been doing this since November. YES I MEASURE. If I’m not totally sure I will overestimate. Should I lower to 1500? I really don’t want to be hungry all the time.

Replies

• katiemcm1125
    katiemcm1125 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I do eat some of my calories and do my heart monitor for exercise specifically. I know it can be off but there’s no way it’s off by the 100s. I think I will talk to my doctor. Thank you.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Make your diary public so we can see.

How long have you been doing this? how are you estimating exercise calories and what kind of exercise are you doing? How do you measure your food? On a food scale or in cups? How do you decide which database entry to use?

At your size, the answer is probably in the chart above and its probably a logging error.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Well, I lost almost all my weight at 1500-1700 (PLUS ALL my exercise calories.)

However, we all are in different places.

If you're using accurate food entries from the database and you're using a FOOD SCALE (not measuring cups or spoons or just labels) and you're not losing for one month on the calories you are using - then, yeah. Lower calories to 1500 (plus exercise cals.)

Thing is - again - we're all slightly different. Our logging varies, our exercise intensity and time varies, our daily routine varies. Height, weight, gender, what we eat.

So - run the experiment. Use that flow chart like it's your bible.
  • foodieizzy
    foodieizzy Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Never knew there was that much of a difference! I knew there was a slight difference in food labels and actual calories, but this is a lot! :open_mouth:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,905 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • katiemcm1125
    katiemcm1125 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Most of the exercise I do is spinning, high intensity, and stretching or yoga on other days. I spin at least 4-5 days per week and use my Apple Watch to count calories.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Most of the exercise I do is spinning, high intensity, and stretching or yoga on other days. I spin at least 4-5 days per week and use my Apple Watch to count calories.

Do you have the Apple watch synched to MFP? I see you mentioned that you use it for exercise calories, and only eat back part, but I'm wondering if the exercise adjustment is from you logging the exercise by hand, vs. having the watch synched. (If you answered that, and I missed it when I skimmed back through to look, I apologize.)

Some people have reported that the synchronization between Apple & MFP doesn't work well, and that it works better to synch the watch to the Pacer app, and that app to MFP.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

No watch can actually count calories, they can only measure other things and make assumptions and give estimates.
    Spinning with its varied intensity is a hard exercise for heartrate to be a great measure, remember heartbeats are not calories and there isn't a universal relationship between the two things.
    I don't suppose your spinning bikes tell you your average power?
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Glad to see that you are going to start weighing your food. Make sure you log everything you eat. I stopped logging a few years ago and recently decided that I was ready to make some real changes and lose weight again. It was very eye opening when I started logging again! I'm still struggling to lose anything but at least I know I'm starting the right steps.