Are you struggling to lose weight even though you track everything and eat low calories?

Options

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of us disputes that some people can lose weight successfully without precise measuring

nor does anyone claim you have to be absolutely perfect at it.

Heck, I am the biggest fan of 'lazy logging' and my logging is full of estimates and law of averages - and that's fine if it is working.

But if it isn't, trouble shooting diary errors and tightening your logging is best place to start.

Yes, this is why I started weighing to begin with. It turns out that I actually really wasn't that far off for many things, but it keeps me honest. And I don't do it for absolutely every last ingredient, but for calorie dense things. I still eyeball or volume measure vegetables. For some things that I make myself, like soup stock or pickles, I have no easy way of determining exact nutritive value, so I just pick a commercial version and then use that version consistently in my log.

I value flexibility too - I hate wasting or throwing things away, I adjust recipes all the time to make room for what I have on hand and need to use up. My plan is that once I hit my goal weight and have maintained for a while, I can back up on being so precise or changing the recipe in the builder every time I make it to make sure it's as close to accurate as possible. I should, I hope, have a good understanding by then of what a good amount looks like, how much I should be eating. And if I'm still logging fairly accurately by volume and maintaining my weight, then I should be fine. But if it starts to creep upward, I can get precise again.
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Not sure why you find the flow chart annoying then - one of the first things on it is How long have you been doing this?

I find it annoying because I know most people aren't going to read it because it is so long. Why is it so long ? Because it address all possible root causes. If you read what people post you can narrow it down to a much more succinct list specific to the OP.

• Mondowefte
    Mondowefte Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    A tablespoon is only 15 grams if you're weighing water. It's always 15ml but different items have different densities.

It's even worse than that. A tablespoon in Australia is 20mL (and a cup is 250mL). Another reason to use standard SI units.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,604 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    I consider myself a very good cook. I don't follow recipes because I think part of the enjoyment of cooking for me is the creativity. I HATE following recipes and so trying to weigh everything when I cook would completely take the enjoyment out of it for me. I'm a man, so I hate following directions :smile:
    s more important than being absolutely perfect with measurements.

I consider myself to be a barely cooking cook. That's because I almost never follow any directions. Heck I open up the fridge and the pantry without a plan and then start cooking depending on what grabs my eye. And halfway through change what I am making depending on the ingredients I've used and how they seem to be cooking together. Seriously. Literally totally change it. Has happened more than once.

Scale, pen, paper, tare, dishes.... jot jot jot. No issues keeping track!

Sometimes I get confused and forget what it was that I was jotting based on the weird kitten abbreviations I used... or forget to log total finished weight and have to make a guess as to how much I end up eating as a guessed broad percentage of what went in.... all that falls under my more recent "loose logging" at maintenance set up!

When I was starting out on MFP, and still in the obese range, I was a bit more "compulsive" with weighing my food and I had a self made rule of not eating any food until it was fully logged in my MFP diary. I also used to test log alternatives to get an idea of where I might end up for the day.... I am not doing any of this at maintenance, or even when trying to create deficits these days... it's more along the lines of keeping track of what was consumed and keeping myself aware.... relatively accurately :smiley: >
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP, I set my weekly weight loss to 2 lbs per week. The realty was that I lost 3 pounds a month despite weighing and logging all food. As I exercised each month and grew fitter, the amount of weight lost each month has increased. My experience runs counter to many on this site but I have read of others on here that lose small intervals at when they start instead of the large drops that others experience the first couple of months.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    cannmom wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    A tablespoon is only 15 grams if you're weighing water. It's always 15ml but different items have different densities.

A Tbsp serving of peanut butter is 15 grams...says so right on my label.

Your label is wrong. Or your peanut butter is water ;)

My peanut butter shows 32 grams for a 2 Tbs serving so 15g for 1 would be in the right ballpark.

Yeah, I have several jars of different brands of pb in my cabinet and every one of them say 32g for 2 tbsp as well. I doubt every peanut butter jar is mysteriously wrong.

But that assumes that a) the spoon is a standard size and b) you don't pile on the peanut butter but only go to the edge and not over.
  • FitAgainBy55
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    When I was starting out on MFP, and still in the obese range, I was a bit more "compulsive" with weighing my food and I had a self made rule of not eating any food until it was fully logged in my MFP diary. I also used to test log alternatives to get an idea of where I might end up for the day.... I am not doing any of this at maintenance, or even when trying to create deficits these days... it's more along the lines of keeping track of what was consumed and keeping myself aware.... relatively accurately :smiley: >

For me, the awareness and the consistent feedback on my body weight scale are the most important parts. I lost weight 10 years ago and maintained it for 5+ years (3 logging, 2 not logging) using this method. Unfortunately I stopped weighing myself and working out ... shocker ... the weight came back. I tried several times to just start eating better without logging and resuming workouts but it didn't work. What I've learned is that consistent logging (albeit estimates) allows me to see trends and mid course correct. Last night my wife and I had a really nice dinner out. We each had lobster bisque, an 8 ounce filet, loaded baked potato, wine and sautéed veggies. I have no way to log that dinner accurately but I logged it and now I'm over budget for the week. Last week I was also over budget for the week. For the next couple of weeks I'll try to get back on track by eating a little under and increasing my activity level.

Also, I'm about to go on spring break. I will log everything but when you are eating out for all meals over 4 days it's impossible to be precise. My strategy for vacations is to increase my activity level using all that free time. That's the advantage of being a runner, I can take my workout anywhere I go.

The awareness of these macro trends is far more important than knowing if my oatmeal was 150 calories as planned vs 178 calories.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options

😅🤣

I just had to laugh about the "dipwit" tablespoons, because you're so right on that. 😂😂😂

Yeah, it may be great for spices and some liquids, but just trying to measure out chunky peanut butter with those things is ridiculous. I'd put measuring cups in your dipwit category too. I can pack a ton of ice cream into a 1/2 cup if I'm dedicated enough.

Or "packed" vs "unpacked" brown sugar. Have I smushed it in the cup well enough to count as packed? (Actually, one of the first things I started doing when I was trying to reduce sugar was just always doing unpacked when baking. I don't notice a taste difference at all.)
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    From the title, I thought this was going to be a support post for people who lose very slowly, or have trouble losing because of health/metabolic/medication issues.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options

The label might might not be that wrong. I looked up the density of peanut butter. Depending on the recipe, it seems to be anything between 1.01 g/ml and 1.1 g/ml. 1 tbsp of the less dense would be 15.15g, of the heavier one would be 16.5g. That's assuming a smoothed tablespoon, of course. Heaped you could easily be at 27g or 30g.

• FitAgainBy55
    Options
    essentially the first point of the standard flowchart is to BE PATIENT.

Just because you find it annoying or insulting, does not mean that the answer is not in that chart 98% of the time.

@callsitlikeiseeit just because you find my opinion annoying, doesn't mean I'm not right 98% of the time :smile: