60 yrs and up

Replies

• richum1960
    richum1960 Posts: 43 Member
    edited March 2021
    Hello everyone my name is Rick, been following this thread. It is cool reading the different posts from everyone in the over 60 crowd. I must confess I am a youngster. I just turned 60 last October. My focus is to stay healthy throughout retirement and achieve a good quality of life.
  • glojlilly
    glojlilly Posts: 313 Member
    edited March 2021
    Hello to the newcomers. I recently returned about a month ago. I am 62 but have a birthday coming on April 29. I gained during the early pandemic,.. snacking a lot out of boredom. I got to my highest wt. of 183#. I am now 173-175 and want to trim down to around 155 or so. I ❤ walking and riding my bikes, mostly stationary. I can give and receive encouragement. Newcomers I am accepting friend requests if you want a chat buddy! A little about me. I am a 3 year widow, a christian and a 35 yr RN. 😊
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    KeriA wrote: »
    Well I am now 68. We celebrated my birthday with take out French food and I managed to stay under my calorie goal by skipping lunch. I even lost a pound this weekend. Last week was a good week. I got my 2 strength training sessions in, 2 long walks and a short one. It was sunny so hopefully I got some vitamin D. I need to stay consistent next week. I just finished reading all your posts since I posted. Keep up the good work all.

Happy Birthday!
  • karlschaeffer
    Got my 2nd Covid jab. Now ready for the space laser activation. (That’s a joke...) My schedule for tomorrow? Sofa time... (no joke). Hope everyone had a nice weekend, and here’s to a great week ahead.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Happy birthday, @KeriA🎉🥳 . Well done on the loss in the midst of the celebration!

Good plan on the sofa time, @karlschaeffer. I'm planning for a day off, too, after my second jab in a couple of weeks.

Realized Saturday that is was the four year mark on my weight loss program. Started on March 6, 2017. Someone told me early on that the last 20 is the toughest. True dat. I haven't reached my goal yet, but I haven't given up. Thank you to all of you for your support.
  • karlschaeffer
    Happy birthday, @KeriA🎉🥳 . Well done on the loss in the midst of the celebration!

Good plan on the sofa time, @karlschaeffer. I'm planning for a day off, too, after my second jab in a couple of weeks.

Realized Saturday that is was the four year mark on my weight loss program. Started on March 6, 2017. Someone told me early on that the last 20 is the toughest. True dat. I haven't reached my goal yet, but I haven't given up. Thank you to all of you for your support.

Happy 4 years! You got this!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    My second didn’t bother me much..only sore arm.
  • alteredsteve175
    My second didn’t bother me much..only sore arm.

That's good to hear. I had no soreness from the first injection.

What vaccine? Pfizer or Moderna?
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited March 2021
    Moderna. Didn’t bother dh either. Both of us fully vaccinated, just waiting for the 2 week mark to feel more comfortable. Actually think first was more sore than second.
  • alteredsteve175
    Moderna. Didn’t bother dh either. Both of us fully vaccinated, just waiting for the 2 week mark to feel more comfortable. Actually think first was more sore than second.

Thank you. 👍 Pfizer vaccine here, but hoping for a similar outcome.
  • wandering44
    wandering44 Posts: 27 Member
    Sarah7591: I am going to have jaw surgery soon. My oral surgeon wants me to increase my protein intake to at least 60 to 100 grams per day. I have found that by either drinking protein powder shakes (30 grams of protein per serving) or adding whey powder to juice (25 grams of protein) that I can get to my goal. They don't add too many calories to my daily intake. My husband makes me a carrot/apple juice or fresh squeezed orange juice using our juicing machine. Good luck. Hope this helps.
  • alteredsteve175
    For those of you trying to eat more protein, there's a good database here on MFP. Lots of options for carnivores and vegetarians as well. A great way to find high-protein options that you can incorporate into your food plan.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 145 Member
    And I'm ba-a-ck :) ! Health has been issue (MG), but slowly beginning to feel like doing more. Was doing great with weight last year 'before' by watching 3 things-SUGAR (no added), WATER (8-12 glasses daily), PROTEIN (70g-100g). The only way I know to watch those sugar grams is to cook real food. Have been doing this again for 10 days and now watching my FIBER, too (26g+ daily). While my fat intake is above my recommended grams, it is from 'good' fats, like avocados. Anyone having any issues with having a 'good' fat intake that is too high? I am losing about 1lb per week, and that is ok, since I do not feel deprived. I have 25 pounds left to lose (already down five total). Looking to hear your stories with fats and affect on hunger and rate of weight loss/health impact...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    g2renew wrote: »
    And I'm ba-a-ck :) ! Health has been issue (MG), but slowly beginning to feel like doing more. Was doing great with weight last year 'before' by watching 3 things-SUGAR (no added), WATER (8-12 glasses daily), PROTEIN (70g-100g). The only way I know to watch those sugar grams is to cook real food. Have been doing this again for 10 days and now watching my FIBER, too (26g+ daily). While my fat intake is above my recommended grams, it is from 'good' fats, like avocados. Anyone having any issues with having a 'good' fat intake that is too high? I am losing about 1lb per week, and that is ok, since I do not feel deprived. I have 25 pounds left to lose (already down five total). Looking to hear your stories with fats and affect on hunger and rate of weight loss/health impact...

Being over on a macro goal but within calorie goal should have no impact on fat loss. A higher than normal carb intake can temporarily increase water retention and discombobulate the scale, but that's not fat, so I don't personally care.

Persistent under-nutrition (like if consistently over on fat, but way low on protein, for example) could lead to sub-optimal energy level, or to cravings, either of which can *indirectly* affect weight loss, via reduced calorie expenditure or calorie-goal compliance respectively. Directly, it's calories that count for weight management. Macros are for nutrition, energy level, satiation, health, body composition, and that sort of thing.

Personally, if I don't pay attention, I can lowball my fat totals. Since I usually get 40-60g fiber daily, too low fat can result in . . . reaching for a polite term here . . . slowed throughput? That can temporarily affect scale weight, but it's also not body fat, so I don't worry about it scale-wise. Health-wise, and happiness-wise, I make it a point to eat enough fats . . . preferring healthy ones, as you do: Nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil, etc.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,299 Member
    Hello, I haven't posted on here for a long time, but recently came back to catch up on reading your posts. I've been "okay" family changes have been going on but everyone's settled & ok now. 2 of our sons & families had covid(we have 3 sons & 1 dtr), our dtr & her 4 kids moved out of state to live with her oldest brother, 3 of my senior dogs died, one 2 days ago, well you get the picture. I haven't lost weight in a long time because mfp gives me 1200 call/day to lose so I've been maintaining but have started exercising again & have lost 2 lbs eating under 1500/cal/day. I lost 50lbs, kept it off over a year & gained 17lbs from quitting smoking & lack of exercise due to gym closing & my dog not feeling well enough to go for usual 4-5 mile walk but the scale is moving once again. I bought a small treadmill & I'm walking more now too. Just wanted to chime in g2renew, I feel better when I eat a little higher fat