Ketosis>500 Calorie Diet! Only Supporters!

Options

Replies

• lilsunshinecc
    lilsunshinecc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @dutchess48, you keep taking the words right outta my mouth!
  • CrimsonHellkite
    Options
    lol, i love how the thread says give me your opinion, but only if its the same opinion as mine!

but good luck.

i kinda did this but i was on my own and eating about 1100 cals a days and exercising 4-5 days a week i lost 40lbs in like 3 months and have kept it off for 2 years now, so i hope it works for you and hopefuly u dont just have a whack doctor like there are so many out there.
  • lilsunshinecc
    Options
    All the very best to you and your family :flowerforyou:

I've just been on an ordinary 900'ish calorie diet and it's worked for me...no starvation mode or any other such thing..

Truly...well done you!!

wow thats great! what typical meals do u eat? any supplements? all the best to you as well! ;)
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    For anyone in healthy weight, that plan would be very unhealthy, but in your special case (obesity and all), I'm sure it's very good for your health! Great that you're under medical supervision through the whole thing and that your doctor is taking care that you get all the necessary nutrients.

The weight should come off pretty fast, but the pace is bound to slow down as you get closer and closer to the healthy weight. Remember to resist the temptation to cheat to any direction at any time and just follow the doc's instructions exactly!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • lilsunshinecc
    Options
    Thanks for your experience! I rather your experience than peoples opinion that know nothing of this....
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I just want to send you a little note to wish you luck. Many people will probably read this and want to spout their negative opinions, however it sounds like you know what you are doing and are taking the steps to do what is best for you. For the majority of people this is not a healthy long term diet, however as you have stated for many people a physician will recommend just this type of diet on a short term basis depending on other health circumstances.

I am currently completing my practicum placement at a surgical weight loss center at a local hospital. I am not certain if you are pre-bariatric surgery (you had mentioned a bariatric dietitian), however for many of the patients who start the program here, they do go on a short-term calorie restrictive diet so that they can lose a portion of their weight pre-surgery. This reduces the chances of complications during and after surgery, and improves the overall outcomes after surgery.

If what you are doing is supported by and under the direction of a physician, then simply ignore any negative comments from the "expert wannabes" that you will find on this site :)

So, you're a junior who works for an organisation that pushes these unhealthy procedures for profit? Cool! Yes, you're right, that qualifies you far more than the 'wannabes'. ...
  • dutchess48
    Options
    lol, i love how the thread says give me your opinion, but only if its the same opinion as mine!

but good luck.

i kinda did this but i was on my own and eating about 1100 cals a days and exercising 4-5 days a week i lost 40lbs in like 3 months and have kept it off for 2 years now, so i hope it works for you and hopefuly u dont just have a whack doctor like there are so many out there.

There are plenty of threads with negative opinions and bashers! This is to keep those of us on the diet motivated and supported.
  • lilsunshinecc
    Options
    Yes! Motivated and Supported!
  • dutchess48
    Options
    I just want to send you a little note to wish you luck. Many people will probably read this and want to spout their negative opinions, however it sounds like you know what you are doing and are taking the steps to do what is best for you. For the majority of people this is not a healthy long term diet, however as you have stated for many people a physician will recommend just this type of diet on a short term basis depending on other health circumstances.

I am currently completing my practicum placement at a surgical weight loss center at a local hospital. I am not certain if you are pre-bariatric surgery (you had mentioned a bariatric dietitian), however for many of the patients who start the program here, they do go on a short-term calorie restrictive diet so that they can lose a portion of their weight pre-surgery. This reduces the chances of complications during and after surgery, and improves the overall outcomes after surgery.

If what you are doing is supported by and under the direction of a physician, then simply ignore any negative comments from the "expert wannabes" that you will find on this site :)

So, you're a junior who works for an organisation that pushes these unhealthy procedures for profit? Cool! Yes, you're right, that qualifies you far more than the 'wannabes'. ...

Wow people! Lets try not to be so negative and attack each other! If you don't like the topic of the thread then please repeat the title of the thread until you realize you should just find another! This site is about support and we all have different way's of reaching our goals. My doctor approved this diet and I'm sure her years of experience and schooling are far more valuable then the opinions of all the "Doctors (people who assume their right because they don't agree with you)" on this site. i won't knock what your doing and I'll be supportive, please do the same for us! Thanks
  • KellysDiet78
    Options
    Hiya. I am on a low calories diet, 1000 calories a day max.. and i struggle to eat 3 meals a day and stick under that - so often skip meals to keep under my limit... .
    I would be interested to know some of the meals you eat that are low calories..
    x
  • meerkat70
    Options
    No you're right. Let's not attack. Let's let people promote disordered eating patterns. It's much, much nicer.
    Toddle over to the other thread the same poster started on the same topic, and read the account of the person whose life and health was wrecked by these dangerous practices. And then let's chat about what's nice and what's not.
  • dutchess48
    Options
    No you're right. Let's not attack. Let's let people promote disordered eating patterns. It's much, much nicer.
    Toddle over to the other thread the same poster started on the same topic, and read the account of the person whose life and health was wrecked by these dangerous practices. And then let's chat about what's nice and what's not.

I'm sure your right DR........... Oh wait, right! I'm sure people have a lot of concerns as they do for ANY diet . It's like taking a new pill for an illness, some people will have great results and be just fine no side effects. Others will have issues. Hell when people have weight loss surgery they eat far less and do just fine, and guess what, their doctors approved that to! I doubt all of the people you speak of were under a doctors care. Regardless since you seem to be stuck on being negative, feel free to comment on that thread because as she said in the title it's for supporters. I just don't get why people want to bash it so much. Obviously we are determined and have our minds set on what were doing so be supportive or just leave it alone. Good luck in your journey.
  • Janetlabori
    Options
    You go girl. I am on a similar diet. The only difference is that I was on Ketosis only for three weeks. Then I went to 600 calories a day, multivitamin, b12 and b6 weekly inyections, HCG inyection once a day (this is only on phase four). I love it. While others think it's to drastic, I have gained a lifetime knowledge about food like what to eat, and not be hungry. Good luck and keep it up. You can add me if you want to.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Edited because I really can't spend the day doing this.
  • Stormy65
    Stormy65 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I did the hcg diet and lost 40 lbs in 21 days. I felt great. I was under a doctor's supervision also. Hcg tricks your body and makes your body "think" it's pregnant and takes the stored fat you have on your body and takes from your body. When you are pregnant and do not eat enough the body automatically takes from the stored fat from the mothers body to feed the baby. So its that concept. You may only be eating 500 calories, but in acutality you are getting more than that. It burns the fat. You don't lose muscle. You are NOT hungry. It works and I have been off of it for 6 months and I gained 5 lbs is all. I am trying this because my cousin is on here and I really do like it. But the Hcg is not for everyone. It is not an "easy" fix. It takes a lot of dedication and a lot of willpower. It is a tough diet and a lot of preparation. You can only eat chicken and fish and certain veggies. NO SUGAR. NO OILS. Certain fruits. You drink green teas, detox teas, water. It does work and I stand by it. Im just not sure I have the discipline right now to go back on it lol. It is a tough diet, but I loved it when I was on it. You have to work your way back up eating "normal" again. You go on a 6 week maintenance. You find out what your body can and cannot process properly.

I wish you all the best!!!!

If it works for you go for it and your doing it right under a doctors supervision.
  • risefromruin
    risefromruin Posts: 483 Member
    Options

If you actually read his profile information and background, you probably wouldn't have said this.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It burns the fat. You don't lose muscle. You are NOT hungry. It takes a lot of dedication and a lot of willpower

You can do the same thing by doing cardio, lifting weights and actually eating normal amounts and normal food.. hate to tell you. If your so dedicated then you wouldn't be doing a fad diet, looking for the easy way out.

To OP:
    Good luck on your ventures. I know I could never do this diet, but if it works for you then more power to you.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on doing your research! Make sure you check in with your doctor constantly! There are a couple downsides to ketogenic diets however!

- Weight regain is a certainty! You hold less water, and when you eventually re-introduce carbs, the water will come back! It's not fat, so as long as you don't panic, its fine!
    - Ketosis as a long-term life plan is UNTESTED. Clinical trials have never gone beyond a few months. Thus, long-term side effects of permanent ketosis are unknown. Keep that in mind!

And guys, Ketogenic diets aren't a fad! I'm on a CKD myself! It's been used for years and years by athletes, bodybuilders, fitness models, and is even used as a control method for children with epilepsy! Please learn more about it before you knock it!
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options

I didn't take this as promoting per se.. It does offer another perspective though.

I agree about the dangerous practices but some times things must be taken at a case by case principle. And this means that a medical nutritional professional must be the one calling the shots! Not any layman!

The truly concerning thing is that normal weight or only slightly overweight people often do this sort of thing on their own with no medical grounds or supervision, just because "they are so special and know better what is right for them", despite the fact that they rarely have any scientific grounds for their... extreme ideas. By no means is a 500 Kcal a day diet recommended to anyone, except as a truly extreme measure, ordered by a medical professional, when other health issues far outweight the problems of such caloric deficit. It can, thus, be the lesser one of two evils, but even then I would argue that the ketosis period should be made as short as possible and the OP needs to switch to a more healthy caloric limit once the critical phase is through.

Still, she is really going to have to find out the root reason for her obesity and fix. Otherwise she'll just find herself again in the same situation later. I believe this will include building a healthy relationship to food too, which will take time learning for example portion control and how much food she really needs to consume daily to support a healthy weight. That generally applies to all of us here..
  • evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your weight loss journey. I hope you can stick with it.

If this diet is being done under proper medical supervision then I think its great.

I do think though that once you approach your healthy weight need to up the calories - and your diet would be very dangerous for someone who was already a healthy weight but wanted to lose more.
This discussion has been closed.