Are you struggling to lose weight even though you track everything and eat low calories?

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

😅🤣

I just had to laugh about the "dipwit" tablespoons, because you're so right on that. 😂😂😂

Yeah, it may be great for spices and some liquids, but just trying to measure out chunky peanut butter with those things is ridiculous. I'd put measuring cups in your dipwit category too. I can pack a ton of ice cream into a 1/2 cup if I'm dedicated enough.

Or "packed" vs "unpacked" brown sugar. Have I smushed it in the cup well enough to count as packed? (Actually, one of the first things I started doing when I was trying to reduce sugar was just always doing unpacked when baking. I don't notice a taste difference at all.)

When I measured produce in cups I was always stress about how tightly to pack them. Big relief when I switched to a food scale!

I don't buy brown sugar anymore - I use 1 C of white sugar plus 1 T (20 g) molasses. I buy molasses by the case so always have this around.

I have found that most American recipes for baked goods can have the sugar reduced by 1/3 with no harm to the recipe, and often an improvement.

And that was my next discovery! :D It's nice to cut those calories and to feel more economical. ;)

I rarely use white sugar so usually just choose to buy brown. I use molasses exactly once a year for one type of Christmas cookie. I'm curious what you use it for if you don't mind sharing!

Like kshama, I appreciate blackstrap molasses (carefully selected brand) for not only the iron, but also a useful amount of potassium and other micros, plus the great taste. I put about a tablespoon of it in my oatmeal every day, for the nutrition and that pleasant, rich slightly-sweet flavor. Some brands, as she says, are bitter, or have an unpleasant sort of acrid/burnt taste. That one she's getting from Walmart is a great price!

I kind of chortle at the "must avoid added sugar" threads, because I'm *adding* this sugar to *improve* my nutrition (some days, it's the only added sugar I eat).

Unlike kshama, I do keep both white sugar and dark brown sugar in the pantry. I rarely use the white sugar, but I swear, in a tight jar it will keep for centuries. Usually I prefer dark brown in a lot of baked goods, for the slightly richer flavor. I also cut sugar but 1/3 even up to 1/2 in recipes, where it's not a structural ingredient, and find I usually prefer the resulting product over the hyper-sweet version. (I'd swear recipes, on average, have gotten sweeter and sweeter over the years, but maybe it's just that my mom had a light hand with sweeteners, too. 😆)

Many of my baking recipes come from my grandmothers (and from one of my husband's grandmothers). They all had raging sweet tooths (sweet teeth?) and I have to dial it back. So it might just be the light touch! On the other hand, another relative went way too far and just...doesn't put *any* sweetener in at all, and the results are inedible.

I wonder if there's also the change in taste buds as we age. Children I guess have a much higher tolerance for sweet flavors, and I know I don't like sweet things as much as I used to when I was younger. If I make a layer cake, I'd rather choose one with less icing. But I've also been consciously working on my eating habits, so my tastes could also have changed as a result of that. There's a lot of things I can't believe I used to eat and like.
  • JustaNoob
    JustaNoob Posts: 147 Member
    I'm just getting the hang of weighing-- I have a scale at my desk and one at home.

My only aversion is that I hate trying to find things on MyFitnessPal that are measured by weight. I find myself doing a lot of scrolling just to find that one.

A lot of times, I just weigh out whatever the serving is. So if it says two tablespoons=30ml... I pour 30ml and log it as two tablespoons. Or if I only want 15ml, I weigh it out and log it as 1 Tbsp. So if anyone looks at my diary, it's full of "cups, tablespoons, servings" but I do weigh most everything.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    JustaNoob wrote: »
    I'm just getting the hang of weighing-- I have a scale at my desk and one at home.

My only aversion is that I hate trying to find things on MyFitnessPal that are measured by weight. I find myself doing a lot of scrolling just to find that one.

A lot of times, I just weigh out whatever the serving is. So if it says two tablespoons=30ml... I pour 30ml and log it as two tablespoons. Or if I only want 15ml, I weigh it out and log it as 1 Tbsp. So if anyone looks at my diary, it's full of "cups, tablespoons, servings" but I do weigh most everything.

When you’re looking for things which are measured, try a search criteria like “gala apple 100g” - as the database is populated by users there are multiple entries. So using 100g in your search terms often brings up more useable entries!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,583 Member
    I can't imagine being invited over for dinner, lol. Me: "What are we having?" You: "I'll let you know when we sit down." :lol:

Dad asks the day before... what are we having tomorrow and what time... 🤣😂😂🤣 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    I'm in the UK and have always been baffled by the cup measures referred to in U.S. recipes.
    How big a cup? A level cup? What does it mean?! I guess it's just what you're used to.

As a child when I was baking with my mother I was taught to use a food scale, because that's how you make a good cake.
    So I knew early on just how important it was to weigh one's food 😆

there are measuring cups in the UK also.
  • verdenlola
    verdenlola Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2021
    @paperpudding you got me there, I'm new and to be honest this is my first forum, it took me few days to understand how this works. I'm kind of shy by nature.
    In my experience low calorie doesn't necessarly mean sustainable weight loss. I kind of scheduled my diet (3 days a week green, 2 days white meat, 1 day fish and 1 day red meat). If you can try swimming maybe 2 times a week for half an hour it keeps your full body active and let's be honest it's much easier in the water.
    If you're feeling bloated try fennel tea with a little honey, works wonders!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    cucumber tea - what a thought :o:o
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,583 Member

You've heard of cucumber soup, on a warm summer night, right? <bats eyelids> :love:

<back story: ms pudding is not exactly a fan of cucumbers, and someone knows this!!!>🤣🤣🤣
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »

You've heard of cucumber soup, on a warm summer night, right? <bats eyelids> :love:

<back story: ms pudding is not exactly a fan of cucumbers, and someone knows this!!!>🤣🤣🤣

With apologies to OP for continuing this digression, it can get even weirder than that:
    dn20j9eo3kur.jpg

It was good, really good, I thought. More likely to *cause* bloating than cure it (somewhat carbonated, yes?), so I guess one would need the cucumber or fennel tea, too.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »

With apologies to OP for continuing this digression, it can get even weirder than that:
    dn20j9eo3kur.jpg

It was good, really good, I thought. More likely to *cause* bloating than cure it (somewhat carbonated, yes?), so I guess one would need the cucumber or fennel tea, too.

Wow this needs to be on the international food thread! What a weird drink.🤣