Question on impact of Caloric Intake

Options
Not sure if this is the correct board, but her is my question. Do the calories that we eat in a given day get processed on that day or does it take a certain amount of time. Basically, If I eat to many calories today, when we I see the effect?
Thanks

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When you eat food, the weight of the food is transferred to your body immediately. The nutrients and calories are processed over the next few days. So you see different effects from the food over different periods of time, but no -- the calorie impact doesn't show up immediately.
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is the correct board, but her is my question. Do the calories that we eat in a given day get processed on that day or does it take a certain amount of time. Basically, If I eat to many calories today, when we I see the effect?
    Thanks

I like to look at it by both daily and weekly goals.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,459 Member
    Options
    It takes a certain amount of time, which can vary. I don't have a cite on hand, but saw a research study that suggested full digestive transit can take up to 50+ hours. Presumably large amounts of nutrients/calories are absorbed early in the process, but some potentially along most of the route.

I'm wondering why this is useful (or is it just curiosity)?

I've been tracking my weight daily for years, even before I seriously started trying to lose some (and now I've been maintaining a healthy weight for 5+ years, still tracking food & bodyweight). I think it can be informative to weigh daily (under as consistent conditions as feasible), and that it can help a person understand what their own individual body does under different circumstances. (People who are very stressed by scale fluctuations should probably *not* do this. To me, as a data geek by nature and professional background, it's just a fun science-fair thing, not emotional at all).

When I materially over-eat (substantially over maintenance calories), it's normal for the scale to go up for reasons having nothing to do with fat gain, and to start that immediately. (At first, purely the extra weight of food/liquid in digestive transit; later, what enters the picture is more about water retention that's a normal part of metabolizing carbs and balancing electrolytes from the additional food.) Usually, the scale will be up for a couple of days, for these essentially meaningless reasons. (Meaningless because not about fat gain/loss.)

So, I won't see any fat-based fluctuation on the scale for a few days (it's obscured by the meaningless stuff). By then, I will have had other days, maybe below/at/calorie goal, and they have their own effects. If you made me guess, I would guess that in a practical sense it takes fat gain at least a couple of days to show up.

However, a person needs to eat around 3500 calories above their maintenance calories to gain a single pound of fat. That means, for me, I'd have to eat something in the 5000-6000 calorie range to gain a pound of fat from one day's overeating. I can do that (even as a quite-small li'l ol' lady), and on the rare occasion do. Thing is, if I do such a thing, various after-effects happen.

For one, I think I will have overwhelmed my body's usual mechanisms for harvesting calories & nutrients at the levels I've trained it to expect. My suspicion is that when this is a *rare* event, it will absorb a *slightly* reduced fraction of the calories/nutrients in that food, and pass it through to waste. By observation, I (and others on whom actual lab tests have been done) will see my resting heart rate up the next day, be more likely to have hot flashes or generally feel warm, may have extra-energetic workouts or get more stuff done around home. Bodies aren't static. Sometimes, given them more input causes more output.

tl;dr: It's complicated, and really doesn't matter much, if you ask me. What matters is the cumulative effects of habits, over much longer time periods.

You might find this fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6cIbIvEGJM

You can easily find her video of the day where she did the over-eating, too, on YouTube.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Thanks

Everything is on a continuum. Time is a human construct. Calories are always in the process of being used and stored...also, the human body is dual fuel meaning that it's always cycling between fat and glucose or a combination of the two. It is all too easy to start thinking about the human body as a machine that is static in processing energy and nutrients, but the human body is actually quite dynamic and there really isn't a tit for tat relationship between energy consumption and it's effect later. Ultimately the human body strives for homeostasis which is why to lose weight one must consistently consume less energy than required and to gain weight one must consistently consume more energy than required. In the short run, consuming more or less energy than required isn't really going to have an effect...the timeline of a day or even a few days is just way too short and the human body can easily adapt to energy changes to maintain homeostasis over the short run...this is why you don't just lose a bunch of fat by fasting for a day...you may lose some water, but that's about it. When you overeat for a day you may gain some water and have more inherent waste in your system, but you're not putting on a bunch of fat.
  • GlennMcMillan
    GlennMcMillan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Thanks you very much for the information. It is extremely helpful. Like yourself I am obsessed with the data and had also noticed the retention that had come from the sodium intake. Your information on weight gain helps me know that all fluctuations north are not necessary negative. This gives me some more thoughts on tracking different Micronutrients to understand the impact in my journey
  • GlennMcMillan
    GlennMcMillan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13 Thanks for information. Fortunately I am not overeating and sticking to my plan, I just did not want the fluctuations creating unnecessary reactions. I feel eventually my progress will slow and I want to be prepared mentally when that point hits.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,751 Member
    Options
    Observe your general weight level change over (sufficient) time by using a weight trend app that "smooths" out temporary fluctuations
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,459 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Thanks you very much for the information. It is extremely helpful. Like yourself I am obsessed with the data and had also noticed the retention that had come from the sodium intake. Your information on weight gain helps me know that all fluctuations north are not necessary negative. This gives me some more thoughts on tracking different Micronutrients to understand the impact in my journey

I wouldn't say I was obsessed with data. I just think data is fun.

You might enjoy this article:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

Daily micronutrients/macronutrients don't have major effect on weight management (in the form of body fat levels), though of course they matter for nutrition and health, and could be important for satiation (so compliance with calorie goal).

PAV (above) is correct, it's longer term trends that matter, and a weight trending app can help one visualize that trend. It's still just a statistical projection, though - fancy rolling averages - not a magic crystal ball.

Libra for Android, Happy Scale for iOS, Trendweight with a free Fitbit account (don't need a device), Weightgrapher, others.
    @cwolfman13 Thanks for information. Fortunately I am not overeating and sticking to my plan, I just did not want the fluctuations creating unnecessary reactions. I feel eventually my progress will slow and I want to be prepared mentally when that point hits.

For me, the most straightforward way to avoid fluctuations causing unnecessary reactions is to manage my reactions. 😉 (Data helps with that, for me.)

If your progress *doesn't* slow as you get lighter, it would probably be a good idea to slow it on purpose (I did). A thin body with lower fat stores will have less ability to lose weight at the same rate as a fatter body, while keeping health risks in a manageable range.