Does anyone use tokens (like real, physical tokens)?

Options
emilysusana
emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
edited March 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
This is not my first rodeo. I’ve successfully lost a lot of weight on here a couple of times; I’ve lost a few pounds on here many, many times.

My issue seems to be incorporating drinks. I’m most successful without them. But I also give up my plan altogether sometimes because I’m tired of zero drinks.

I’ve tried just fitting them into my calorie allotment and that works for awhile but then I find myself fitting them in each day, even when there is no room... like by eating less food that I should. Obviously, that doesn’t last

I’m trying something this time where each week I can have just 5 drinks. I am using actual tokens which I “turn in” (move from one jar to another) when I use them. I can still only use them when I have the calories for them. I am also letting myself earn an extra token or so for the next week (not the same week I’m in) by doing a a few miles of extra walking (which I write down but don’t record in MFP). When I cash in those tokens, they don’t have to be within my calorie goal, because I haven’t eaten back those calories yet. I can use them for a bonus glass of wine (this was my plan for how I’d handle special occasions where I might want to have a refill on my one drink).

Has anyone tried anything similar to this? It seems kind of silly, but I think it might we a way to better incorporate moderate alcohol consumption in my weight management plan.

Replies

• sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I think it is a great idea if that works for you!
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    This is not my first rodeo. I’ve successfully lost a lot of weight on here a couple of times; I’ve lost a few pounds on here many, many times.

My issue seems to be incorporating drinks. I’m most successful without them. But I also give up my plan altogether sometimes because I’m tired of zero drinks.

I’ve tried just fitting them into my calorie allotment and that works for awhile but then I find myself fitting them in each day, even when there is no room... like by eating less food that I should. Obviously, that doesn’t last

I’m trying something this time where each week I can have just 5 drinks. I am using actual tokens which I “turn in” (move from one jar to another) when I use them. I can still only use them when I have the calories for them. I am also letting myself earn an extra token or so for the next week (not the same week I’m in) by doing a a few miles of extra walking (which I write down but don’t record in MFP). When I cash in those tokens, they don’t have to be within my calorie goal, because I haven’t eaten back those calories yet. I can use them for a bonus glass of wine (this was my plan for how I’d handle special occasions where I might want to have a refill on my one drink).

Has anyone tried anything similar to this? It seems kind of silly, but I think it might we a way to better incorporate moderate alcohol consumption in my weight management plan.

Here are my 2 "tricks".
    1. I love water. I've learned to taste the satiety my body feels not the actual taste. (this is more if you are talking about Cola)
    2. Calorie Cycling. This has been a game changer. Want to drink some this weekend? I shave 100 - 200 calories off my daily goal and then I have 500 - 1000 calories on the weekend to drink.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,476 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Good luck with that.

I think if you are having to make deals with yourself and count drinks...

I just quit altogether. Makes weight management and all of life so much easier.

And, yeah. I used matchsticks. It didn't work.

Would you also suggest eliminating ice cream or cookies, etc from the OP's diet if they enjoyed these items or moderate them in some way as she is proposing to do with alcohol?

If somebody had a problem with them, where they've realized they're unable to moderate.

In the case of the OP she is proposing "moderating" herself at 5 drinks a week. @cmriverside doesn't think moderating will help, if you have to moderate or "budget" should just quit entirely.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    also, why doesn't the bold text feature work correctly?

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,476 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Good luck with that.

Would you also suggest eliminating ice cream or cookies, etc from the OP's diet if they enjoyed these items or moderate them in some way as she is proposing to do with alcohol?

If somebody had a problem with them, where they've realized they're unable to moderate.

In the case of the OP she is proposing "moderating" herself at 5 drinks a week. @cmriverside doesn't think moderating will help, if you have to moderate or "budget" should just quit entirely.

If someone has to think about this that much and self negotiate, that is a red flag. People who naturally moderate or who can take it or leave it do not have to put this much effort into where to put the alcohol in the context of their day to day. Alcohol is a legal drug...it isn't ice cream or cookies.

I didn't get she was moderating alchol for any reason other than calories. If that's the case saying one will have 5 drinks a week is no different than saying one will have a half cup of ice cream after dinner daily.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that.

If someone has to think about this that much and self negotiate, that is a red flag. People who naturally moderate or who can take it or leave it do not have to put this much effort into where to put the alcohol in the context of their day to day. Alcohol is a legal drug...it isn't ice cream or cookies.

I think the difference is the OP seems to be moderating for calories only - not because they have a drinking problem. In that case I don't really see it as anything different than moderating certain foods.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Good luck with that.

I think the difference is the OP seems to be moderating for calories only - not because they have a drinking problem. In that case I don't really see it as anything different than moderating certain foods.

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but some people might be keying on this specific statement: "I’ve tried just fitting them into my calorie allotment and that works for awhile but then I find myself fitting them in each day, even when there is no room... like by eating less food that I should."

While it's true that some people do this with ice cream and it's possible that OP likes alcohol the same way that someone like a tasty dessert, but it's also possible that this could be a sign that more is going on.

Yes...because that was me for the last 8-9 years...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is one of those topics that is impossible to answer with a blanket "yes" or "no" answer because the answer comes down to the nature of your relationship with alcohol, something that is an unknown to us right now.

It can be totally true that using physical tokens to limit one's self could be a sign of a problematic relationship with alcohol that should be addressed. It could also be true that this could be an easy and fuss-free way to stay within your intended goal for drinks. For most people who have an issue with alcohol, I feel like this would be a very short-term solution that would probably break down quickly. If you're using physical tokens to whiteknuckle your way to a limit, I can't see that being successful.

This. Personally, I'd say that if OP wants to try it and see how it works for her, I think that's a good idea. If there is an issue other than calorie management, that will become apparent, and if there's not, it may well work. I don't think that making personal rules about how to fit in something is necessarily the sign of a problem, but with alcohol I think sometimes it is (if it works and isn't stressful, then it's likely not).
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Outside of the idea of whether or not alcohol use may be an issue if one has to moderate oneself with tokens or rewards, I personally steer away from using external motivators or rewards. I mean, we all have external motivators to do things--a lot of us go to work for the paycheck and wouldn't work for free, right? However, I feel that (at least for me), if I want a behavior to stick, I've gotta find some kind of internal motivation or drive. It may work short-term and maybe by doing this you can build up the internal motivation and not have to use the tokens.

I also have a different perspective on using tokens, coming from a background of working with children with special needs and having kids of my own. It is quite common to use tokens or rewards to encourage behavior, although most newer research will say that even for kids using tokens can backfire--ESPECIALLY if there isn't a plan to decrease the use of them over time.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that.

None of us knows the OP, so most people are talking about themselves and hoping maybe some of it sounds familiar. I don't know if what she's describing will work for her or not. I was answering the question about what I would recommend to people.