Low carb breakfast

Options
My schedule demands that I not spend a lot of time creating a good nutritional breakfast, except on weekends. I love the breakfast bowls, heat and eat. Or hot pockets, or Kolaches, cheese egg and sausage sandwiches etc. I also love pre-cooked bacon. My dilemma is almost all the kinds of things that I like to eat because they taste good, contain potatoes, or bread of some kind etc. I would like to reduce my carb intake quite a bit. Can anyone suggest a low carb, fairly easy to prepare breakfast that does not taste like rubber or plactic? :smiley: I know I am asking the impossible because I have tried so many things. ???

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Egg bites, also called egg muffin cups or similar. There are tons of different versions on the net, here's one: https://showmetheyummy.com/healthy-egg-muffin-cups/

Typically you can make them ahead.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I do egg bakes with cheese and vegetables. I usually bake one casserole dish and then cut servings out of it.

https://www.crazyforcrust.com/cheesy-sausage-egg-casserole/

This is actually the recipe I started with, which is NOT low calorie or low fat, but I have made adaptations to it to make it work for my calories - using lowfat cottage cheese, swapping veggies in for sausage, reducing butter and/or using olive oil instead. I do use the flour to help it bind but you could probably find a lower carb substitute, though I'm not super familiar with using those in baking.
  • Lhenderson923
    Lhenderson923 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yogurt with berries and nuts. Egg cups. Frittata/quiche-make it on the weekend and eat a slice each morning. You can customize most breakfast items to be lower carb.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I'll second yoghurt with berries and nuts - but I add seeds as well. I've also made mini egg muffins, adding mushrooms, red pepper, courgette etc, although I tend to take them to work as something 'solid' to have alongside my lunchtime soup, rather than having as a breakfast item.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have open faced egg sandwiches a few times per week...I'm not particularly concerned with carbs and I use a good whole grain and seed bread...but other than the bread which I toast, it takes me about 5 minutes to fry up the eggs and Canadian bacon I put on my toast along with some good manchengo cheese . I could easily make my usual breakfast low carb by just frying up the eggs and doing the Canadian bacon and skipping the toast
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are also an option. Make a dozen and you don't have to think about it again for several days.
  • simplysonya4996
    simplysonya4996 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds pudding or overnight oats w/ fruit and nuts are good. Chaffles, either savory or sweet are good. Also, frittatas w/ low carb veggies are good. Pinterest has thousands of good ideas for meals.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I make this low cal spread almost every other week. It stores well in the fridge. In a food processor finely chop 6 jalapeño peppers, 2 garlic cloves, chives or onions or from the freezer, caramelized onions. Then add one whole package of Neufchâtel cheese. (35cals per 14 grams)

Add it to 2 beaten eggs for a super rich-tasting omelet with little extra zing. If you don't mind the added calories and really want to make it decadent, crumble in some pre-cooked sausage to add in the morning.
  • preferablybeer
    preferablybeer Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I like to beef up my eggs with various peppers, onions, cheese, veggies etc...and if i want a carb I’ll use low carb ones.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    My standard breakfast:
    1 tbsp each of chia, flax and hemp
    Enough milk to allow the chia to bloom
    — let those sit while I get ready
    30 grams of Dorset cereal
    170 grams Greek yogurt
    Half cup of blueberries

It is almost a perfect one third split across fat, carb and protein.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    For a couple of years, every week, I made a crustless quiche. Good in the refrigerator for the 6 days it takes to eat it, one slice heated in the microwave each morning.