C25K with plantar fasciitis?

Hi
Has anyone done C25K despite having plantar problems? I'd really like to do it, but my plantar which is currently feeling fine, seems to flare up if I even do a few jumping jacks. I miss that cardio buzz and energy.

Currently doing 3-4 bootcamps a week but all modified with no jumping or running. Also walk 3-4 times a week, 3-6 miles, so average fitness level.

Would love to hear from anyone who managed their plantar fasciitis while doing C25K.

Thank you.

Replies

• natgurl95
    natgurl95 Posts: 17 Member
    I haven't done the C25K, but I do a ton of walking at work and hike on the weekends. Do you wear plantar fasciitis insoles in your running shoes? That may help. They take a little while to get used to if you don't wear any, but I keep them in all of my shoes now, greatly improves the way my feet feel at the end of the day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Honestly one of the top reasons I became a cycling enthusiast...that and I just enjoy it more. But yeah...running was brutal on my plantar fasciitis. Figured it just wasn't worth it if going for a run one day resulted in having to sit on my *kitten* for a week to recover. I can cycle every single day without issue.

Inserts and stretching helped some...but I was usually laid up at least 4 or 5 days after a run which was completely unproductive.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Honestly one of the top reasons I became a cycling enthusiast...that and I just enjoy it more. But yeah...running was brutal on my plantar fasciitis. Figured it just wasn't worth it if going for a run one day resulted in having to sit on my *kitten* for a week to recover. I can cycle every single day without issue.

Inserts and stretching helped some...but I was usually laid up at least 4 or 5 days after a run which was completely unproductive.

^___ This. If you replace cycling with swimming, that's my story too. I had it badly in 2000, so when it came back in 2016, I knew exactly what it was. The #1 recommended treatment is total rest. That's also totally impossible if you have any kind of life. Running (or any impact) could significantly delay your recovery from this. You just can't out-do it if you're doing weight bearing stuff. I'm a teacher, and just the daily walking around my classroom was excruciating, so trying to add intentional exercise with walking or running beyond that was unthinkable. I was also training to summit Mt. St. Helens in WA state that summer, so I really needed a solution. Search for threads in the fitness/exercise forum. There are many. I have responded to several myself because I always discourage people from trying to work through this. It might work for people who have sort of "arrested" it before it got too bad, but for me, swimming was the only thing I could tolerate. (Oh, and I didn't know how to swim, so that was an adventure...) It might depend on what triggered it for you as well. I overpronate significantly, so for me, inserts in my shoes are a must. There are lots of DO THIS and DON'T DO THIS. When you see them repeated by many people, take the advice.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this as your starting a running program. There is nothing more demotivating than an injury when your motivation and enthusiasm to take on a challenge is high. I would say that it's worth it to take the time you need to get it under control. (and that could be months...) Continuing to work out through pain is just delaying the inevitable.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I did, and it was fine, but I was also losing a bunch of weight at the time which helped. For me, my plantar fasciitis (and also shin splints) was greatly improved by rocker squats when warming up to run. Squat, rock onto your heels with toes lifted, then onto your toes with heels lifted.

You can always try it and quit if it turns out to be a problem. Good luck to you.
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    I think it's different for everyone and depends on how severe your case is. When I get a bad flare up I can't do much besides light walking. And I do seem to get flare ups when I start over doing it on the running and jumping. Compression socks help a lot, as do insoles. And I've learned I can't walk around barefoot ever- if it's more than 10 steps I need to be wearing sneakers. Also, keep up with your foot stretches even when you aren't dealing with a current flare up.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    cherys wrote: »
    Hi
    Has anyone done C25K despite having plantar problems? I'd really like to do it, but my plantar which is currently feeling fine, seems to flare up if I even do a few jumping jacks. I miss that cardio buzz and energy.

Currently doing 3-4 bootcamps a week but all modified with no jumping or running. Also walk 3-4 times a week, 3-6 miles, so average fitness level.

Would love to hear from anyone who managed their plantar fasciitis while doing C25K.

Thank you.

I am!!

I made my 2021 goal to run a 5k this year and this was shocking to many around me because of how bad my feet are (I have a negative arch :-1: ). Instead of doing the program to a T, I am stretching it out and am doubling every week so it's actually going to take me 18 weeks instead of the scheduled 9. This gives my body time to get used to the intervals without overtaxing my body. Honestly having GREAT shoes, arch inserts, & and stretching has really helped me. I never jog without stretching my calves and hamstrings as I find that my PF really flares if it don't stretch. Ohh and hydration, I have no idea what the technical link is but my arches KILL me when i'm dehydrated.

I honestly haven't had any issues with my arches after the first 2 weeks (C25K week 1) of the program. It might not be doable for everyone but if you want to do it, I recommend trying it
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    I think it's different for everyone and depends on how severe your case is. When I get a bad flare up I can't do much besides light walking. And I do seem to get flare ups when I start over doing it on the running and jumping. Compression socks help a lot, as do insoles. And I've learned I can't walk around barefoot ever- if it's more than 10 steps I need to be wearing sneakers. Also, keep up with your foot stretches even when you aren't dealing with a current flare up.

Yes to no barefeet ever! I have sandals with arch supports that I wear in my house to get my steps in during the day as I work from home and will also add compression socks after my jogs when I feel my arches starting to flare.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 865 Member
    You can totally do a running program like C25K but you may want to adjust it for you and double each week or something. Along with incorporating stretches/strengthening exercises for PF (I have crazy high arches so I've never struggled with this).....and insoles if needed.

You might also want to think about investing in a good fitting pair of running shoes if you really want to make running a habit though. I'd start by walking longer distances if I were you to see how it feels after a lot of load.
  • eshults89
    eshults89 Posts: 45 Member
    I am avid runner and got PF maybe ten years ago. There was no way I was going to stop running despite what the doctor said! I tried all of the different running shoes and landed on Mizuno Wave Riders/Inspires. Ten years hasn't been a problem since. Highly recommend!!
  • mydogisthebestdogever
    mydogisthebestdogever Posts: 703 Member
    Aw I can totally relate to plantar fasciitis, I dont have advice other than to wear a night boot, and do daily massages with a spiky foot ball. I'm in the same boat, I find that ice packs help alot and I can walk normally without pain for a few hours after leaving my foot on ice for awhile.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Ditto for the rolling with a spiky foot ball. This worked wonders for me. I also found a method of strapping that worked for me...a combination of two methods shown by physios. And ditto for never having bare feet...I wear supportive shoes all the time. I strap my foot at night and this seems to really help.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    maiomaio71 wrote: »
    Ditto for the rolling with a spiky foot ball. This worked wonders for me. I also found a method of strapping that worked for me...a combination of two methods shown by physios. And ditto for never having bare feet...I wear supportive shoes all the time. I strap my foot at night and this seems to really help.

By "strapping" do you mean with physio tape? I forgot that I used KT tape wrapped for PF (there are YouTube videos that show this) and it helped a lot. I first tried it right before a 10K when my foot was 85% better. I ran that entire race pain free. I swore that there was unicorn tears in that tape. Amazing. I used miles of that stuff, even when I wasn't running.

Assuming that's what you mean by strapping... ;)
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,002 Member
    I don’t know if this helps but I’ll share it. I’ve had PF twice. The second time nothing helped. I had it for about 8-9 months. Orthotics. Massaging. Lots of ibuprofen. I watched this and did it and I started having immediate relief. I was considering procedures/surgery it was so bad. I personally don’t even believe in orthotics anymore. I’ve not had a problem since. Good luck. I share this with anyone when they mention PF.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GQhtavGoL6A
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    I don’t know if this helps but I’ll share it. I’ve had PF twice. The second time nothing helped. I had it for about 8-9 months. Orthotics. Massaging. Lots of ibuprofen. I watched this and did it and I started having immediate relief. I was considering procedures/surgery it was so bad. I personally don’t even believe in orthotics anymore. I’ve not had a problem since. Good luck. I share this with anyone when they mention PF.

Thank you for sharing- I'll have to remember this the next time I get a flare up!
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Thank you so much for sharing that video. Brilliant.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,002 Member
    Thank you so much for sharing that video. Brilliant.

Hope it helps! It helped me so much.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited September 2021
    Hi

Thank you.

I had a lot of trouble with mine for a long time when I started running (could barely tip toe out of bed in the morning). But pretty much never any issues now (been a few years). Possibly just that stuff got more flexible or stronger over time. Superfeet makes insoles with varying arch support. I used those for a bit, but wound up switching to minimalist shoes for my knee (separate issue) early on. The shoes I wear now, while not minimalist, still have fairly minimal arch support or padding.

If you wear heels regularly, you might want want to swap out to flats for daily use.. if your achilles is more stretched/loose when you go to run (which is less likely if you've just spent an extended time in heels), the plantar fascia will be less strained.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    MelG7777 wrote: »

Wow, when you said "immediate relief" you weren't kidding! 3 minutes and I did feel better!

My first physical therapist used Graston, so I was familiar with it, and almost fell out of my chair when he whipped out the wrench, lol.

Note to others: He makes an important note about technique at @ 5 minutes, so it would be good to watch it through that part before starting.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    I did the C25K and now am on the Zenlab 13.1 trainer and up to 10 miles for my long runs, I've had PF for years.
    One of the best things you can do it go get fitted for the right shoes at a running store, they can look at your feet, watch you run on the treadmill and recommend the right shoes for your build and stride.