Hard to get started.

Options
I want to run a 5k but I’ve some weight to lose. I’ve 20 more pounds to lose before I’m close to were I’d like to be. Can I start running now. Is it safe?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into running programs, like couch to 5k? It helps to do some walk/jog intervals, with more walking to start with. Gradually lengthen the amount of time spent running. And run slower than you think you should.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Weight alone isn't a reason to avoid running, so have at it! :) I've done 5ks and 10ks while overweight. I learned using Couch to 5k. I am actually redoing that program now since I quit for a while and it's been great to get back into it. I still have about 55 lbs to lose, but with good shoes, and focusing on endurance rather than speed (with the short intervals at first it's tempting to sprint, but for me I know I have to hold back a bit), it's not a problem.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Being overweight puts more pressure on your joints, but that doesn't mean you can't run, you just have to build up your base slowly. C25k is a good way to start. Repeat days or weeks if you need to. If it seems too hard at the beginning, start by walking for 30-45 minutes until that is comfortable for you. Then begin the program.

Look up Mirna Valerio. She is definitely overweight but runs ultras. She has been running for many years and built up to that.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Being overweight puts more pressure on your joints, but that doesn't mean you can't run, you just have to build up your base slowly. C25k is a good way to start. Repeat days or weeks if you need to. If it seems too hard at the beginning, start by walking for 30-45 minutes until that is comfortable for you. Then begin the program.

Look up Mirna Valerio. She is definitely overweight but runs ultras. She has been running for many years and built up to that.

C25K is an excellent beginners program. I have recommended this numerous times over the years. Assuming you have no health issues (always helpful to be cleared by your Doc) you can start tomorrow if you'd like. I always recommend signing up for a 5K race about 3 months from beginning as a great goal. I like the structure of the plan as it focuses on time rather than distance and eases new runners into the program by alternating walk/jog sequences. You can see the plan here: https://www.lcps.org/cms/lib/VA01000195/Centricity/Domain/74/C25K Training Plan.pdf

A few things to consider...1. you should be fitted for proper running shoes. Those old pair of Chucks in the hall closet are not a good option. 2. Running is cardio, and a good way to augment your calorie burn to keep under your daily calorie goal. You may choose to eat back some calories if you wish. But just because you went for a :20 minute run doesn't give license to down a whole bag of Doritos. 3. Rest and recover. The plan begins at 3 days per week. Your body needs time to recover when you begin any new exercise regime. I can tell you from personal experience, too much, too soon, too fast always has a bad outcome. Good luck - you'll be amazed how you feel when you finish your first 5K!