WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2021

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    Several of us have mentioned that we're not that keen on yellow, except maybe in small quantities.

The Color Psychology of Yellow
    https://www.verywellmind.com/the-color-psychology-of-yellow-2795823

Some of the key characteristics that are often associated with the color yellow include:

Attention-grabbing: Since yellow is the most visible color, it is also the most attention-getting color. Yellow can be used in a small amount to draw notice, such as on traffic signs or advertisements.

Difficult to read: Yellow is also the most fatiguing to the eye due to the high amount of light that is reflected. Using yellow as a background on paper or computer monitors can lead to eyestrain or vision loss in extreme cases.

Energetic: Yellow can also increase metabolism.

Frustration: Yellow can also create feelings of frustration and anger. While it is considered a cheerful color, people are more likely to lose their tempers in yellow rooms and babies tend to cry more in yellow rooms.

Warm: Yellow is a bright color that is often described as cheery and warm.

(the article explains further)

I've read elsewhere that yellow is a bad choice for a room because of that frustration factor and because it's very hard to relax in a yellow room.

We've got yellow walls in our place, but they are a very light yellow, so it's not bad. I would not want them any brighter/darker than that. And there is a lot of blue to off-set it: full-length blue curtains on four large windows in the main living area.

233b7455tsm9.png
    https://www.color-hex.com/color/ffffe0
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Morning ladies
    Well I was awake from about 2 -4:15 this morning and didnt go to sleep until 10 last night.. then slept from 4:15 until about 7 ,would love to have a whole night with sleep all the way through.
    Going to a new Drs office this morning my appointment is at 10 but will be there for 9:45 ,did all the paperwork yesterday and made a list of meds..
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited April 2021
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Rori:

(((Dr. Katie))): I am sorry that your DH is unwilling to go to services with you, although I can understand his reluctance to go. :flowerforyou:

Thanks. It's not so much that he's unwilling, but that he doesn't think he can comfortably sit in a pew for an hour. His stitches from his surgery are all right at the bend of his waist. He needs to slightly recline or stand to be comfortable. We watched the sunrise service together in the sunroom, and he watched the 11:00 service online while I attended in person.

Here's hoping that this week will bring success for him in healing and success for me in getting back on track with my weight loss/eating/exercising/working my finger goals.

Barbie, what is your opinion of the guest hosts so far on Jeopardy? I liked the first two and enjoyed seeing Katie Couric's outfits each day, but Dr. Oz was not a favorite.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    drkatiebug wrote: »

Barbie, what is your opinion of the guest hosts so far on Jeopardy? I liked the first two and enjoyed seeing Katie Couric's outfits each day, but Dr. Oz was not a favorite.

:) I love Ken Jennings (I listen to his podcast, " Omnibus"), I liked Mike Richards, the producer, I agree with you about Katie Couric's outfits, but I was glad to see the end of Dr. Oz.

<3 Barbie

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,434 Member
    Lllll
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Lisa- Happiest of Birthdays my friend. Glad you got all sorts of things that you love.... im here at the new Dr and will call in a few minutes to tell them im here.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    LISA

Happy, Happy 61st! :)

Carol in GA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    Happy birthday Lisa!
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited April 2021
    💙❤️💛

Happy birthday Lisa!
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 929 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    7ehmmi3nngir.png

The TV didn't come on until about 7 pm. :)

Machka in Oz

I love not having the TV on. It hasn't been on since last Tuesday evening. I need to work on less computer and phone screen time.

Tina in CA

That's one of the things I like about cycling. It's too hilly to go right from home, so we drive to better locations and then ride ... a weekend ride can take me away from my computer for 3 or 4 hours! :)

M in Oz

I'm envious you can take your bikes elsewhere. Mine won't fit in my car and there isn't a hitch and ball rack for it yet. I don't want one that hangs off the back. My bike is heavy and those are not as sturdy. Our roads around here are atrocious and dangerous for biking. I'd love to take them where there are better surfaces.

Tina in CA
  • sh0tzz99
    Congrats, Kelly! What fun news!
  • sh0tzz99
    Several of us have mentioned that we're not that keen on yellow, except maybe in small quantities.

The Color Psychology of Yellow
    https://www.verywellmind.com/the-color-psychology-of-yellow-2795823

Some of the key characteristics that are often associated with the color yellow include:

Attention-grabbing: Since yellow is the most visible color, it is also the most attention-getting color. Yellow can be used in a small amount to draw notice, such as on traffic signs or advertisements.

Difficult to read: Yellow is also the most fatiguing to the eye due to the high amount of light that is reflected. Using yellow as a background on paper or computer monitors can lead to eyestrain or vision loss in extreme cases.

Energetic: Yellow can also increase metabolism.

Frustration: Yellow can also create feelings of frustration and anger. While it is considered a cheerful color, people are more likely to lose their tempers in yellow rooms and babies tend to cry more in yellow rooms.

Warm: Yellow is a bright color that is often described as cheery and warm.

(the article explains further)

I've read elsewhere that yellow is a bad choice for a room because of that frustration factor and because it's very hard to relax in a yellow room.

We've got yellow walls in our place, but they are a very light yellow, so it's not bad. I would not want them any brighter/darker than that. And there is a lot of blue to off-set it: full-length blue curtains on four large windows in the main living area.

233b7455tsm9.png
    https://www.color-hex.com/color/ffffe0

I love wearing yellow, if it's muted a bit or mixed with a pattern of some type. One of my favorite shirts is yellow with big white flowers. Unfortunately, it also has skin colors mixed where the moths got to it.

Tina in CA
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Catching up here.
    Has anybody been watching the Stanley Tucci series Searching for Italy? What a beautiful examination of the relationship between culture, environment, economics, art, and food. It is so nice to see such respect for the different cuisines.

Debbie I am so sorry that your cat has died. Our furbabies are so special to us and are family in every possible way.

Lisa A very happy birthday. I remember reading your first mystery. Have you published more? DM me.

CheriAre you still crocheting beautiful blankets. I am in awe of your skill. They are all so beautiful and you seem to finish them in no time at all.

Kim It is so hard to take care of family members without work being affected. Maybe your brother will wake up.

Heather What fun for Easter. I understand what you mean about noise! Antiques Roadshow and Midsomer Mysteries are 2 of my favorites. Are they still being produced in the UK? Both are here only on reruns. The US version is posting the current values of the pieces selected. It is fun to try to guess whether the value has increased or decreased. It appears that no one wants dark furniture.

Rebecca Athena looks just like a tiny you. I love the name. On each side of the family, we had Minerva. One was always called Minerva and the other Min. Elegant ladies, both.

Kelly A new grandchild on the way. I will hope along with you until further along.

Matchka Keep those biking pictures coming. It is great to see Australia. I worked there years ago and I know that everything has changed. About the only thing I recognize from pictures of Sydney is the opera house and the bridge and nothing from Brisbane, Melbourne, or towns on the Queensland south of Cairns and north of Rockhampton. I still remember how excited I was to see a kangaroo for the first time in the outback on the way to work.

Karen The Leukemia and Lymphoma Foundation is having its annual big fundraiser and many people are having virtual silent auctions. You never know what people will bid on for a good cause.

Pip Your decorating is so inspiring. Do you conduct virtual consultations? I never know what to do for window treatments. I love the light curtain.

Pat Needle phobia is so common. I think it is the reason that some people are reluctant to get the 2-shot COVID vaccines and are waiting for the J&J.

Barbara "Earth tones look soiled to me. Oranges and yellow need not apply." My exact thought about these tones for clothing for me. Although I do have an apricot dining room and yellow trim in my kitchen with cabinets and wall two shades of green - mint and avocado. It is a craftsman style house with the original painted cabinets and so I continued the paint rather than try to strip them. I am redoing the kitchen and putting on addtion this year (if I can ever get contractors to return calls or give estimates). This will necessitate all new cabinets. I am going against the white trend and putting in wood cabinetry. I also will match (I hope) the original wood floors throughout the rest of the house.

My favorite color is blue. I look best in royal blue and wear navy blue most of the time instead of black. I also like fuchsia and frequently wear a fuchsia pashmina. I have one red pashmina that is blue toned. Other than that, I do not wear red. I do wear red matte lipstick with my navy and a dark matte fuchsia lipstick with other colors. In the 70s, for about 3 years, I really liked earth tones and yellow was my favorite color. Some pictures of me in these colors disabused me of the thought of wearing them and about that time, the earth tones/hippie trend seemed to disappear. I have always liked blush pink and sage green together for decorating with touches of a rich burgundy thrown in.

Everyone- stay well.
    CJ
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited April 2021
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline, livestreamed church
    Bonus: simple Easter meal with Joe
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call D re: sticky keyboard, Norton and windows updates, call S, gas, Tire swap, Library, Dollar store, go to Dr’s office re: Joe’s Interpath labs not approved by medicare. Was there some coding error between Dr.’s office and lab? If not, were tests medically necessary? county planning office neighbor’s plans, ongoing: fire district: bake cookies for firehall, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers), 2nd week in April: call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments, bank to turn in pennies,
    Active April:
    5: eat healthy and natural food today and drink lots of water: sounds like the cure for today’s over indulgence ;)

Hope this brings a smile: https://youtu.be/pRhjWdr-LAA

KJ Happy news :heart:
    Julie 3 + hrs invested in writing, yes!
    Karen, both corroded in places and worn off in others. Will try the salt in vinegar on the green first. Thanks!
    Belated best birthday to you both, Viv and Lisa!
    Kylia you sound happy, where I would be exhausted and irritable. Well done!
    Evelyn good to see you posting. Your province’s restrictions sound exactly like our county’s. Fingers X’d they’ll be eased in a few weeks.
    Pat C ((hugs)) blood draws and shots creep me out too.
    Machka, Joe painted his first kitchen [/b] bright yellow [/b] with a big red horizontal stripe. He said he liked it because it really woke him up in the morning. Thank goodness that was decades before he met me. :noway: :laugh:
    Tina “…mixed with skin colors where the moths got to it” :laugh:
    Rebecca are Athena’s shoe on the correct feet?

Sun is shining, wind has calmed, time to get outside despite the chill.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    April: leaner/stronger/kinder than March.
    daily: sit with Joe: 4, weigh/wii: 4/0/0; steps>5627=4400 vits=4, log=4, CI<CO=3, CI<250<CO=3, Tumble=6 Shadow=6 mfp=4 outside=5 up hill=5
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rx= dance= clean 30 mins=2.67 packwalk=, wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/4:140.3 :grin: 4/11: 4/18: 4/25:
    mnthly: board mtg=, grant=1, 21 plan= bonus: AF=2 play= sew= waist=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2021
    Kylia: It is good to see that you’re posting again! :star:

Machka: I like the light yellow very much, but I am not fond of bolder yellows in my clothing or wall color. It seems overwhelming. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: Happy 61! :heart:

Last night I called our daughter to chat and was surprised to discover that she was hosting a large party. We’ve been in lockdown so long that it is our new normal. She lives on an acreage in a small town in rural Illinois. I was surprised that she was hosting a party with many guests. I know that she has been vaccinated for some time. I hope that is true for her guests, too. There is plenty of room for social distancing if some guests have not been vaccinated.

Our niece will be getting married in a few months, and our daughter is planning to come. We are thrilled that she will be here. She may bring her daughter along & it will be a treat to see and spend time with them both. I miss them and will be delighted to see them.

Katla in sunny NW Oregon
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    Belated best birthday to you both, Viv and Lisa
    Hope you both had wonderful days.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    edited April 2021
    Basedment is now a light yellow. I love it because it brightens the space.

Lisa Happy birthday :flowerforyou: