Losing more muscle than fat!

2»

Replies

• sbalzer
    sbalzer Posts: 18 Member
    @sijomial I haven’t read through the list of programs but will do that now, plan on starting a new program tomorrrow!!!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    In the list have a look at the AllPro programme. It is a 3x8-12 programme that may be a good transition from the 5x5.

Cheers, h.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    sbalzer wrote: »
    @sijomial I haven’t read through the list of programs but will do that now, plan on starting a new program tomorrrow!!!

PHUL and PHAT are some good programs. And if you want a bit more detailed ones, Jeff Nippard has a hypertrophy program.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited May 2021
    I tried for over a YEAR to "recomp" by lifting HEAVY 3x's a week and eating a very HIGH PROTEIN diet (up to 200g/#/day (from regular food and supplements) and by measuring my BF/muscle mass every quarter w/DEXA.

The results were VERY disappointing and I gave it up.

Long story short, I gained most of the muscle mass that I currently (and still) have from bulking and cutting. When I bulked to 200 and back to 160 (which is my current max wt) while doing the same things (lifting heavy and eating a high protein diet). It did it TWICE and each time I gained a significant amount of muscle mass and "musculature" which became more defined w/some dieting and regular (but not extraordinary) exercise, which in my case, is rowing.

There's a history to this method which many competitive body builders still use and the reason they still continue to do it is because it "works."

Recomp is good in theory but near impossible to achieve in practice.

That's my experience and you have no basis to "disagree" with it (as many have to my prior posts on this issue) unless you've actually tried to do it yourself and have properly measured your results w/DEXA or hydro. Absent such data, any "objection" is pure BS.

Just my 20 cents on the topic. LOL! ;)

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    In contrast to the experience above I've never struggled to recomp, even before I knew what I regard as normal had a name!
    Even now in my 60's with my gym closing/opening/closing/opening during the pandemic I've achieved easily visible and measurable increases in muscle mass and reduction in body fat when I can resume training.

Different people have different responses to training stimulus so "impossible" needs to be seen as personal rather than universal. For the entirety of four decades of training I've always expected and achieved quicker results than my peer group when I can train consistently. I've also seemingly tolerated a greater training volume than most of my peers which is no doubt a factor. Apart from the guesswork of good genetics I do have unusually high natural T levels.

Never tried the cut and bulk method, never felt the need TBH. My results have always been training driven and diet frankly wasn't / isn't a big factor at all. I neither feel a detriment from a small deficit or a boost from a surplus unlike others seem to.

With the caveat I've never been into bodybuilding or very low levels of bodyfat, just not my thing. Strength gains and sporting performance have been my drivers.