60 yrs and up

Replies

• trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 249 Member
    Welcome back!!!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Have an awesome weekend, all! Planning a desert hike for tomorrow. Stormaggedon is heading our way on Sunday, so I gotta' get it done Saturday.

What do you all have on your agenda?

A desert hike sounds amazing: Is it cactus bloom season (I hope)?

I'll bet you can tell that here in the frozen North, I love these Spring blooms so much: Early harbinger of goodness to come.

Happy weekend, all!

Ann, I live in southern Idaho. It's high desert. Mostly sagebrush, bitterbrush and rabbitbrush. And all the tumbleweeds the world needs. You find the occasional wildflower. There is some cactus, but it is all the ground hugging type - think prickly pear or hen and chickens type cacti. They do bloom, but it is short lived. It's a blessed day if you happen across one in bloom.

Regardless, we ventured out yesterday, but had to cut the hike short. We brought a new companion along and the climb was too much for him. He made it to the base of the second hill and needed a rest. We climbed the second one - stopped and took some photos and turned back. We'll climb to the cairn next time.

b6wip74jguk2.jpg
    cicri8jdtrwk.jpg
    r6yksahpe916.jpg
    q03yeax63cej.jpg
    2f13inrczena.jpg
    luc1fiptho7w.jpg
    3fwgpn9q91y4.jpg

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    @alteredsteve175, that looks like so much fun!

I spent one summer living in a high desert area (near Reno, NV), so I understand the concept, but it wasn't what first came to mind (I've visited Tucson AZ a number of times because my SIL lives there, so that's more my frame of reference). Your scenery looks amazing, terrain & vegetation!
  • alteredsteve175

I spent one summer living in a high desert area (near Reno, NV), so I understand the concept, but it wasn't what first came to mind (I've visited Tucson AZ a number of times because my SIL lives there, so that's more my frame of reference). Your scenery looks amazing, terrain & vegetation!

You got it, Ann. Southern Idaho and most of Nevada are part of the Great Basin desert. It's a great area for hiking, with options for bouldering and rock climbing in a lot of areas. Not the most scenic area at first glance, but it has its own unique charm. And solitude if you're willing to get off the beaten path.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,490 Member

You got it, Ann. Southern Idaho and most of Nevada are part of the Great Basin desert. It's a great area for hiking, with options for bouldering and rock climbing in a lot of areas. Not the most scenic area at first glance, but it has its own unique charm. And solitude if you're willing to get off the beaten path.

Tucson in the Sonoran desert. Kinda lush as deserts go.
  • alteredsteve175

Tucson in the Sonoran desert. Kinda lush as deserts go.

I grew up in Idaho, so I've always been a desert rat. I spent a couple of weeks in Kelso, California on a training session back in the 80's. I spent a lot of free time hiking in the Mojave. It was spectacular and a lot different than the desert I was familiar with in Idaho. I should go back there again. I need to check out the Sonoran desert sometime, too.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 249 Member
    Beautiful pics!
  • alteredsteve175
    Thank you, @seilidhe. Gorgeous scenery! A good reminder to take the time to enjoy our beautiful world. 🌄
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Thank you all. Sometimes I forget how pretty Tucson can be. Even the city has its moments. :)
  • southkonahi
    southkonahi Posts: 137 Member
    Hi. I'm attracted to this group for two reasons. (1) Age group, because different ages have different challenges when it comes to health and activity. (2) Lovely scenic photos. :)
  • alteredsteve175
    Hi. I'm attracted to this group for two reasons. (1) Age group, because different ages have different challenges when it comes to health and activity. (2) Lovely scenic photos. :)

Welcome. You'll like it here. Based on your username, I'm guessing that you live in Hawaii. Please post some photos of your backyard as well.

• seilidhe
    [ I'm still trying to figure out how to track the thread(s) I'm participating in... I'm sure there must be something to check or whatever.... for now I'm still confused on how to "get back to them" easily. But I'll get it figure out eventually.

At the top of the thread, to the right of the title, you'll hopefully see a little star. Click on that star. Then, when you are looking for your thread, when you come to the Community Page, at the upper right, you'll see a little bell and a star. The bell may have a number by it and that will tell you if there have been new posts in the starred conversations. Or you can just click on the star and see the names of the threads you are tracking.

Does that make sense?
  • seilidhe
    smddtx2nlk4o.jpg

What a stunning photo!
  • juanwilly1
    juanwilly1 Posts: 26 Member
    Back for round 2! Trying to lose the same 10lbs over and over. Found that logging food really helped my awareness of what I was putting into my mouth so will be actively doing that again Anybody else from Florida? Flagler/Palm Coast here! Love the ocean and the trails for activity. Just turned a young 72 years of age! Friend needed...so
  • juanwilly1
    juanwilly1 Posts: 26 Member
    edited April 2021
    My view.
  • mamareid03
    mamareid03 Posts: 7 Member
    167058206.png
    Hi. I gained the Covid 40!! I need to loose. So I am looking for friends to help me stay motivated. I am usually the cheerleader. Never putting myself first. The older I get the harder it seems. End of the April ('21) I am having 2 surgeries on my hand and I think I am pre-diabetic. Oh don't get old........
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    mamareid03 wrote: »
    167058206.png
    Hi. I gained the Covid 40!! I need to loose. So I am looking for friends to help me stay motivated. I am usually the cheerleader. Never putting myself first. The older I get the harder it seems. End of the April ('21) I am having 2 surgeries on my hand and I think I am pre-diabetic. Oh don't get old........

Too late, I'm already old. (65, specifically, in my case.)

Welcome! People are successful here at any and every age, if they find a path that works for them. You can do that, too!

As far as getting old . . . yeah, some annoying stuff does become more likely. I've got some, for sure. Still, as a survivor of advanced-stage breast cancer, and a cancer widow (since age 43) besides, I'm pretty enthusiastic these days about getting old, compared to the real alternatives, personally.

Finding the right eating and activity routine can be pretty magical, IMO. In a lot of ways, I'm younger and healthier now, I believe, than I was 20 years ago.

Glad to have you on MFP, and in the group: Wishing you much success!
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,490 Member
    smddtx2nlk4o.jpg
    OK, here's a sunset from my area. I'm still trying to figure out how to track the thread(s) I'm participating in... I'm sure there must be something to check or whatever.... for now I'm still confused on how to "get back to them" easily. But I'll get it figure out eventually.

Gorgeous!