60 yrs and up

Replies

• trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Welcome newcomers! Fellow Floridian here Juan as of February.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    trekkie123 wrote: »

How are you liking Florida, Mindi? Are you missing Jersey yet? 😁
  • trekkie123
    Missing people in Jersey, not missing the weather! Going back to visit in a few weeks.
  • juanwilly1
    juanwilly1 Posts: 26 Member
    trekkie123 wrote: »

I knew that you were uber cool!🤙
  • juanwilly1
    juanwilly1 Posts: 26 Member
    nlu275gp62kl.jpg
  • southkonahi
    southkonahi Posts: 137 Member
    seilidhe wrote: »
    At the top of the thread, to the right of the title, you'll hopefully see a little star. Click on that star. Then, when you are looking for your thread, when you come to the Community Page, at the upper right, you'll see a little bell and a star. The bell may have a number by it and that will tell you if there have been new posts in the starred conversations. Or you can just click on the star and see the names of the threads you are tracking.
    Does that make sense?
    Yes, thanks! I'll limit my threads until I get it figured out. :)
  • trekkie123
    Welcome fnq. I’m sure a bunch of us here can relate!!
    Seildh- thank you for the tip!!!
  • glojlilly
    glojlilly Posts: 313 Member
    @muggs7 I'm turning 63 this month. Oh my goodness. It's starting to stick. I'm an older person who needs to steer clear of health issues. Diabetes run in my family also. I do feel women's weight clings more than men.
    I hope to get out hiking while it's not too hot in Texas to capture some beautiful sunsets like I see.
    @trekkie123 I can't imagine starting over in a new city let alone a new state. It's hard making new friends esp now with the pandemic fears. But hopefully later.
    My weight seems to have hit a plateau on 1200 calories with 20-30 minutes of exercise 3-4 a week. I must find a new mindset. I am stuck at 168-169. My goal is 158 for now. Any sugg. Is 4 weeks too short?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    glojlilly wrote: »
    @muggs7 I'm turning 63 this month. Oh my goodness. It's starting to stick. I'm an older person who needs to steer clear of health issues. Diabetes run in my family also. I do feel women's weight clings more than men.
    I hope to get out hiking while it's not too hot in Texas to capture some beautiful sunsets like I see.
    @trekkie123 I can't imagine starting over in a new city let alone a new state. It's hard making new friends esp now with the pandemic fears. But hopefully later.
    My weight seems to have hit a plateau on 1200 calories with 20-30 minutes of exercise 3-4 a week. I must find a new mindset. I am stuck at 168-169. My goal is 158 for now. Any sugg. Is 4 weeks too short?

If you're down to the last pounds before goal, 4 weeks is kind of a short time, I think. I've been losing very slowly (purposely slow) for months, to drop 10-15 vanity pounds. There have been times of several weeks to a month where even my weight trending app thought I wasn't losing, maybe even thought I was gaining, when slow fat loss was actually happening, just hidden by water weight fluctuations. Eventually, the loss showed up on the scale.

Are there any changes you can comfortably make in non-exercise activity, too? It can help, in my experience. Lots of ideas in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    fnq2014 wrote: »
    Hi have used mfp before but only for logging food and have never tried connecting with other people for support. i have tried and failed a few times but back again for another go. i just turned 65 yesterday. i live in tropical north Queensland Australia so lots of rain and heat here but a beautiful place to live i hope to meet some new friends and get some insperation

Happy birthday a little late!
  • southkonahi
    southkonahi Posts: 137 Member
    Hi. I've nothing earth shaking to post, but I'm trying to get comfortable with what the forums have to offer and "how" to participate.

I find that I am walking the thin line between "not enough calories" and "too many calories", because I have a goal dateline to keep. What is that, you might ask? I have travel plans and need to buy some comfortable clothes, and I would rather be my Weight Loss Destination Size when doing so. :) I've been home for a year (Covid shutdown) without buying anything other than a few online clothes items out of necessity, and don't want to travel with too tattered of clothes.
  • Louanneshe1954
    Louanneshe1954 Posts: 1 Member
    Good Morning! This is my first experience with MFP. Hoping to drop 50 lbs and keep it off. I am 66 and if I live as long as my grandmother who lived to 99, that means I am going to be here another 33 years and I want to be healthy and ACTIVE! I am going to get back on the golf course the end of the month and need this boost to get started. I am so inspired by all of your comments!
  • glojlilly
    @AnnPT77 Thank you so much for the non-exercise ideas link! Wow, I never even thought of that extra possibility to assist me. Well yeah, I could walk every hour since I sit mostly at a desk. I could, the big one, go to bed on time! I snack late and head to bed late since my two college grad sons stay up late. So I head to my room around 10 and turn off the light at 11ish and get up at 6:30. So I will change that. I'll be 63 this month. Can't be hanging out with them like I'm, lol, 40. I had them late, 35 and 37 actually. So yeah, that was very informative. Yes, 4 weeks is pretty quick but I know it can be done. A few years ago I was a camp nurse for 2 weeks at a Jewish camp for 250 kids plus 200 staff. They only served vegetarian food. The kitchen closed at 7 p.m. The other nurse and I took morning runs for 30-45 min. to take a break from the camp running/walking down the highway outside the camp entrance. I lost 13 lbs in 10 days. So I was trying to mimic that. I went from 172 to 159 in 10 days. That was I think the year of 2014. Sorry, to ramble, my age showing. Yes, I too have sort of a dateline to keep. A medical exam for life ins. I want to be within my BMI. So thanks for the tips! Keep em coming!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    glojlilly wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 Thank you so much for the non-exercise ideas link! Wow, I never even thought of that extra possibility to assist me. Well yeah, I could walk every hour since I sit mostly at a desk. I could, the big one, go to bed on time! I snack late and head to bed late since my two college grad sons stay up late. So I head to my room around 10 and turn off the light at 11ish and get up at 6:30. So I will change that. I'll be 63 this month. Can't be hanging out with them like I'm, lol, 40. I had them late, 35 and 37 actually. So yeah, that was very informative. Yes, 4 weeks is pretty quick but I know it can be done. A few years ago I was a camp nurse for 2 weeks at a Jewish camp for 250 kids plus 200 staff. They only served vegetarian food. The kitchen closed at 7 p.m. The other nurse and I took morning runs for 30-45 min. to take a break from the camp running/walking down the highway outside the camp entrance. I lost 13 lbs in 10 days. So I was trying to mimic that. I went from 172 to 159 in 10 days. That was I think the year of 2014. Sorry, to ramble, my age showing. Yes, I too have sort of a dateline to keep. A medical exam for life ins. I want to be within my BMI. So thanks for the tips! Keep em coming!

Losing 13 pounds in 10 days at 172 is probably not the greatest plan in terms of health risk (but I think you know that). If it's only *one* ten days, not a longer practice, it might not be ultra-terrible.

The only other suggestion I have for you to consider - very specific to your circumstances - is a very cynical one. I'm making it in context of my belief that insurance companies inappropriately using BMI in ways it isn't intended is on their part a cynical, manipulative practice; they should use (IMO) more nuanced, personalized practices to assess risk, when the stakes are so significant to people.

I assume you know when your insurance weigh-in will be. A couple of days before, you could start a brief period of low-residue (mostly low-fiber) eating, and lower carb than normal. Think about what usually causes water retention for you (carbs, salt are common ones, but there are others). Don't be extreme to the point of feeling ill or risking health, but cut back on carbs (real ones, not the fake idea people have that "carbs" are things like cookies or pizza that usually have more calories from fat than from carbs 😆), reduce salt/sodium to a healthy minimum. Get enough sleep, keep other stress moderated (also in the interest of avoiding water retention).

You know your own typical elimination cycle. If you can do so safely and comfortably, fast and stop any significant liquid intake in the few hours before the weigh-in, for long enough to not have a bunch of food or water in your digestive system, similar to what you might do before a surgery.

Fundamentally, you'd be trying to do what bodybuilders or lightweight boxers/other athletes do to be lighter for a single weigh-in. If you can, avoid driving in case of any transitory symptoms from the hydration/eating limitation, just in case. Of course, dress in lightweight clothing/shoes, if they will weigh you clothed as most do here.

I think you've said you're a nurse. I think with that background, you'll understand what I'm saying here, and understand how to moderate any actual risk (which should be small if you're otherwise healthy) to a reasonable and even trivial level. Think of it as similar to surgical prep, but with a carb/fiber deload.

None of the above - as you know - is about fat loss. It's about gaming one's scale weight, primarily via water weight, but also digestive contents. For me, that kind of approach could be good for a few pounds "weight loss".

Immediately after, hydrate and eat!

Yup, cynical.
  • glojlilly
    Thank you. That makes sense. Will do.
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    @MamawSM Accountability is the Key!! I love MFP for that...and this is my third time joining LOL...Congrats for re-determining...we have to do that everyday!! You will get there. "Tiny changes, Remarkable results" is my new motto!! But it takes Patience...I have lived a full active life, but not paying attention or being egoistic and not taking care of my bones earlier is why I am in Osteoporosis...NOW, I am taking the steps...thankfully still healthy to workout and eat healthy! Best Always in your Journey!!! We are here to Support!!!