Iron Pills

HereWeGoAgain1978
HereWeGoAgain1978 Posts: 4 Member
edited April 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
Recent blood work showed I'm anemic, so I've been taking Feosol Complete iron tablets. I've been taking them about a week, and I can honestly say I feel more tired since I started taking them. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Beth

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited April 2021
    I have taken Iron pills at the direction of a doctor and gave me more energy. Don't self prescribe Iron..
  • HereWeGoAgain1978
    HereWeGoAgain1978 Posts: 4 Member
    I’m not. These are what she recommended.
  • Theoldguy1
    I’m not. These are what she recommended.

I understood that from your post I was just making a general comment for anyone reading. As noted above, I had increased energy after taking them.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    I did self-prescribe since my doctors have consistently ignored the fact that my ferritin is low and it was affecting my running. I take 100 mg. daily. It helped my energy enough that I got my speed back though the numbers haven't gone up that much.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited April 2021
    Deleted!
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Did a doctor prescribe those? I have chronic iron deficiency anaemia and have to take ferrous fumarate to keep on top of it. Supplements like feosol and feroglobin did almost nothing for my iron levels. It does take *months* to feel better if my levels get too low though.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    If your ferritin is low then it might take up to 2 months to get into a normal range again, assuming you take 1-2 high dose pills the right way, with some kind of vitamin C for absorption. It's not a quick fix. Your body also needs to create new red blood cells, which takes time.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Did your doc recommend taking Vitamin C also? Mine has in the past, as taking iron with C allows the body to absorb more of the iron. (Or take the vitamins following a meal/snack containing vitamin C.)
  • Thoin
    Thoin Posts: 942 Member
    Recent blood work showed I'm anemic, so I've been taking Feosol Complete iron tablets. I've been taking them about a week, and I can honestly say I feel more tired since I started taking them. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Beth

There's actually no correlation that the iron is the root cause making you tired. That being said, give yourself some time for your body to adjust.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    It takes a few months to see a difference. I’m not sure what is in your pills but the standard dose prescribed is 325mg of ferrous sulfate twice or three times a day. Ideally, take it with vitamin C. Anemia will make you feel tired, not the iron pills.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

Thanks,

Beth

If you're anemic, it's going to take more than a week to correct. Also curious as to what the dosage is. I don't know much about iron supplements other than they shouldn't be taken without being instructed to do so by a doctor...but in my experience, a lot of supplements where toxicity is a potential issue come in very low doses...to the extent of not making much of a difference in someone who is deficient and trying to get those numbers up.

By and large though, I would say it's a matter of time. Nutrient deficiencies aren't typically quick fixes. When I was D deficient it took months to get my numbers up to where I could level off to a maintenance dose of my supplement. I was taking 5,000 IU daily for a few months (as directed by my Dr.) and now take 2,000 IU daily for maintenance.

Give it some time...keep your Dr. in the conversation.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 865 Member
    edited April 2021
    I would say you need to give it more than a week to get your levels up. You should also take it on a fairly empty stomach and with vitamin C.

And as someone else said --- for those reading this it is important to check with a doctor before taking iron supplements because it can be dangerous to take an iron supplement if you are not deficient (OP has made it clear they are doing this as directed by their doctor and had blood work done).
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Oh, yes, prepare for long run. Many months it's only beginning to say. When you rich the normal level of hemoglobine about 18-21, then you will have to take it for many months to make a resrve. Never take Fe along with Ca, Mg. Cr or K . They compite in the absorbtive sites for the places. Fe goes together with lemon juice, vitamin C or orange
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I take Feosol as well. It worked for me eventually. It’ll take time to make a difference. Your tiredness could be unrelated. Maybe you’re more anxious about the diagnosis and not sleeping as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    Oddly enough, I've been deemed anemic based on bloodwork. Had a colonscopy and endoscopy and no signs of bleeding. Also had a pill camera test and still found no bleed. Thing is I display none of the symptoms. I'm never fatigued, always high energy, sleep well and strong in the gym on every exercise. Again odd. I am taking an iron supplement and seem to be doing fine with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Theoldguy1
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Oddly enough, I've been deemed anemic based on bloodwork. Had a colonscopy and endoscopy and no signs of bleeding. Also had a pill camera test and still found no bleed. Thing is I display none of the symptoms. I'm never fatigued, always high energy, sleep well and strong in the gym on every exercise. Again odd. I am taking an iron supplement and seem to be doing fine with it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I had similar situation. I was told I couldn't donate blood when they checked iron level at the test site. The tech suggested seeing doctor. Had the same tests other than the pill camera.

I did seem to notice some more energy after I got on the supplement. I've been able to donate blood with no issues.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    queanmum wrote: »
    My ferritin (iron stores) was so low I had to have 2 iron infusions a month apart. Then they signed me up for a colonoscopy because the blood work indicated a GI bleed. They admitted up front that they probably wouldn't find the source, and they didn't. I have been taking 4 Feosol original tablets a day since then. It's been over a year and my blood work has remained normal. My doctor/doctors said it takes most people 6 months on the proper dose of iron to get within normal limits without iron infusions. It's the anemia, not the iron making you tired. Ask the doctor if you might need a dosage adjustment or repeat labs to see if the anemia is worse. I hope you're cutting back to only essentials at work/home. Pick the time of day when you seem to feel the best to get those things done. Ask for help if you need it. Anemia is very hard on your heart, so this isn't the time to "push it." Take care.

Sorry you went through this, my friend went through infusions as well because her body wouldn't properly absorb iron pills, she was highly anemic doctor told her she coulda had a heart attack, the anemia was because of a severe menstrual cycle 2 weeks at a time, I know this is the, good to share though.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I had similar situation. I was told I couldn't donate blood when they checked iron level at the test site. The tech suggested seeing doctor. Had the same tests other than the pill camera.

I did seem to notice some more energy after I got on the supplement. I've been able to donate blood with no issues.

Ironically, my electrolytes were also off. My doc said to add a little iodized salt to my food. I avoid sodium due to high blood pressure concerns and my doc’s advice based on family history (everyone has hbp), but she said I overdid it. 🤪