serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    serapel wrote: »
    My lower spine always hurts after. Why is that?

Depends what you means by hurts.

A heavier sore is fairly normal is some sense.

If your load management and programming is well written for you as a individual then I wouldnt be concerned.

If you are winging it and/or adding sets, reps, intensity, frequency, variations, etc... with no reason other you feel you should increase "x, y, z" you might be dosing too much stimulus that more than likely is causing recovery issues not to mention not being useful for your goals. Another possibility is using a cookie cutter program that isn't appropriate for you.

I think I’m lifting too heavy too soon. I’m at 300 lb hip thrust and figured deadlift should be easy, but it’s not. I’m a *kitten* deadlifter

The intensity from one lift doesn't transfer to another the further we go from specificity in relation.

One thing to consider is hip thrusts have a very small ROM and incorporate less muscle motors compared to a deadlift. Factor in the skill or lack of performing deadlifts and it isn't surprising you find them difficult.

Also using a form of auto regulation with E1rm should be useful in dosing your intensity regardless of rep scheme or lift selection.

So the question I ask is how are yoy determining your dose of stimulus for your deadlift?

Not trying to be a smart Alec, but I have no idea what you just said lol

I’m trying to deadlift around 110-120 lbs. I weigh 129. I’m doing stiff leg. My PT got me doing them. I’ve actually had to stop past 2 weeks to reduce stubborn lumbar pain.

I’ve never liked deadlifts. The only variation I like are single leg RDLs. I’m 50 and have no desire to compete, etc. Maybe I should not go so hard and get the form first.

My trainer is great, but I don’t want to have to be a busy mom with nagging back pain.

The "form" is not causing pain. That is a myth. It almost always a combination of the dosing of the intensity(weight) by volume(rep × sets). Put the right weight on the bar and use useful cues that work for you and good things happen. "Form" is expected to break down as we are either closer to our 1rm or fatigue is high.

SLDL will hit your lower back more the standard deadlifts. So if your lower back is experiencing "pain" then you could be performing too much intensity and/or volume. In all respect your trainer should of dosed your stimulus better within your programming as a whole.

If you have no aspirations of competing, yes you do not need to perform any deadlift though I think under the right programming you might have a better experience with them and can certainly be very useful if programmed correctly.

Thanks so much. I’m going to start over again next week and pay attention to the intensity.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. I’m going to start over again next week and pay attention to the intensity.

You may also consider using a trap bar as opposed to a straight bar. It take a bit more pressure off the lower back. The range of motion is slightly different, but the lift is essentially the same. That coupled with lowering the intensity and volume should help.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    DoubleG2 wrote: »

You may also consider using a trap bar as opposed to a straight bar. It take a bit more pressure off the lower back. The range of motion is slightly different, but the lift is essentially the same. That coupled with lowering the intensity and volume should help.

Thanks again for this help. I have a trap bar also. I will try it.
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Peeing yourself while pulling sumo.
    This.
    I have also done a small poo while deadlifting. Far TMI.

bahahaha I am surprised I have never done that lol