Accountability and Keto

sarahg1119
sarahg1119 Posts: 10 Member
I'm in my 40's and overweight. I'd like to find some accountability buddies to work with to stay on track and lose this weight. I've started keto because I feel better when I eat this way. Are there people out there willing to assist?

Replies

• Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited March 2021
    Good Morning,

Both myself and my fiancé are doing a fairly strict Keto... I'm on week 10, and log every day. I'd love to be part of your team. And FYI, I found the holy grail of "REAL low carb bread" that tastes better then normal bread and is for all intensive purposes real bread that rises with Yeast and well It's incredible. (And only 1.7 net carbs per slice and 95 calories). (sorry I had to pimp the recipe)... You can find it in the recipe section "Best Low Carb Bread - No flours used".

Anyway, I'm 48 and my fiance is *peeks over shoulder* 50 something... *shhhhh*

Fiancé is earthangel1967 if your interested.

:smile:

• spruitt417
    spruitt417 Posts: 100 Member
    I'm also doing keto and I'm pretty strict with my macros
  • Poobah1972
    spruitt417 wrote: »
    I'm also doing keto and I'm pretty strict with my macros

She's stricter then me, that's for darn sure. (although I do test my blood daily and am always in ketosis so there is that! :P :wink:
  • crazygonegibby1
    crazygonegibby1 Posts: 83 Member
    Keto woe here. Happy to add more that are like minded. :-)
  • JLBanialis
    JLBanialis Posts: 2 Member
    I'm just starting keto and I'm having trouble trying to figure out my meals. How do I get enough fiber?
  • Poobah1972
    edited March 2021
    JLBanialis wrote: »
    I'm just starting keto and I'm having trouble trying to figure out my meals. How do I get enough fiber?

Well I can only speak for myself and my fiancé (Sort of)...

WE both take a semi heaping Teaspoon of Metamucil with our breakfast. As constipation can definitely be an issue following low carb if your aren't getting enough Fiber elsewhere. Furthermore my fiancé has had IBS for a good part of 20 years following a gallbladder removal. I recently convinced her to start taking it when we both started Low Carbing in 2018. Which almost immediately put an end to her IBS issues.

Other then that, we do eat quite a few products (some store bought, some made ourselves) that contain significant amounts of fiber. Such as...

Joseph's mini Pita's and Lavash bread. (we use these for hamburgers, Pizza's, wraps you name it).
    Quest cookies once a week contain 9 fiber. as do most processed "Low Carb" snacks or foods like Atkins bar or even Lily's Chocolate bars (with only 3 net carbs per serving and it's the real deal).

But it's not just store bought snacks that help... We even bake a loaf every week of our own amazing Bread (it's real bread that uses no flour)... It contains about 5 fiber and only 1.7 net carbs and 95 calories. We have a slice of that with almost every breakfast.

And of course, there is Salad, and vegetables... Were big on broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, Brussel sprouts... And we recently started making fries with Jicama which has only about 3.5 carbs per 4 ounces (5+ grams of fiber). To get some I contacted our local Smiths Market (farm boy etc.), and they were immediately able to bring some in for us on request.

Almost forgot Berries, I generally eat 3/4 cups of a combination of Raspberries, Blackberries and Strawberries at least 5 days a week. I also enjoy macadamia nuts... All of which have a great amount of fiber.

There is a lot of options out there... But I do generally recommend to anyone starting out, to go ahead and start taking 1 serving of Metamucil per day, as it really does work wonders for more then just KETO. Then once you find your feet and get comfortable with a shopping list that does get you to your Fiber goals, by all means drop the Metamucil and go for it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask or message me! :)

Edit: You inspired me to start adding my Metamucil to my Diary entries... Just so I know where I actually stand on fiber. Looking back, not including fiber I'm quite often above 30 as high as 40 grams... But some days I'm down around 9. Over all though I would say I'm hitting that target, and the Metamucil only helps (so I'm adding it going forward). *Thank you*
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,915 Member
    I am a keto'er .....You are welcome to add me .......Wishing you much success :)
  • anahita2107
    anahita2107 Posts: 5 Member
    I'm also doing keto. I am 4 weeks in now but it would be great to have some people who are doing the same. Feel free to add me.
  • katierthanmost
    katierthanmost Posts: 25 Member
    Poobah1972 wrote: »
    Good Morning,

Both myself and my fiancé are doing a fairly strict Keto... I'm on week 10, and log every day. I'd love to be part of your team. And FYI, I found the holy grail of "REAL low carb bread" that tastes better then normal bread and is for all intensive purposes real bread that rises with Yeast and well It's incredible. (And only 1.7 net carbs per slice and 95 calories). (sorry I had to pimp the recipe)... You can find it in the recipe section "Best Low Carb Bread - No flours used".

Anyway, I'm 48 and my fiance is *peeks over shoulder* 50 something... *shhhhh*

Fiancé is earthangel1967 if your interested.

:smile:

Probably don't need to try too hard to keep the secret given fiance's username 😉
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    JLBanialis wrote: »

Non starchy veg and avocados. Nuts/seeds are decent sources too, especially some seeds.

I'm a low carber and have tried keto in the past, and am a huge proponent of a low carb or keto diet that revolves around protein and veg, and takes advantage of the diet's use of fat to bulk up cals to be able to have plenty of delicious full fat foods or accents (it adds up fast), but IMO ideally one would be eating sufficient non starchy veg that fiber should not be an issue. (I've never used any fiber supplements and rather than low carb bread/wrap type products I tend to just not eat those foods, but I get they might be helpful for some in transitioning. One reason I was drawn to lower carb, though, is I don't really miss bread/real rice, etc.) Black soybeans might be worth trying -- they are pretty similar to black beans but very high fiber and lower carb.
  • N0M0Y0Y0
    N0M0Y0Y0 Posts: 30 Member
    Still learning this app. Looking for supportive community/friends to keep me inspired. Have lost about 55lbs. Still got about 180lbs to go. Been doing keto and I.F. feel free to add me. Still haven't figured out how to friend request
  • CaydensMommy
    CaydensMommy Posts: 315 Member
    I'm going to try this keto. Monday coming being the first day. I would also love some accountability buddies and inspiration! Going to add you all! :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,915 Member
    rick60rt wrote: »
    Still learning this app. Looking for supportive community/friends to keep me inspired. Have lost about 55lbs. Still got about 180lbs to go. Been doing keto and I.F. feel free to add me. Still haven't figured out how to friend request

To add friends ...left click the person's avatar/picture and it will take you to their profile ...left click again and you will see a green button where you can add