WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2021

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,031 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Playing catch-up again and losing 😂. You are posting quicker tha I can rad 😂

Weekly grocery shopping done and dusted (literally 😂). Winter is having a last gasp at the moment. Snow, hail and winds blowing down from the north.

The tulips and daffodils are being blasted. My magnolia and camellias had started bursting forth, but the cold has stalled them, but only temporarily.

We are planning a walk after lunch with DYD and her dogs if the weather allows.

Not sure why, but my weight has dropped a couple of lbs despite having had Easter goodies over the last week. This process is often a mystery. more slowly than we are posting.

Page 12

☘️ Terri

Camellias? At this time of year? You're going into spring, aren't you?

Camellias are a mid-winter flower. Ours have fat little buds on them, and we'll likely start seeing flowers when it gets colder around the end of May.

M in Oz

My camellias are spring flowering.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
    Iiiii
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Cheri— Watching news, worried about College Station. Be safe. ❤️
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,600 Member
    Rebecca I like your meals!

I had a long post including a rant about family and work and it just went poof....Anyway, thanks for listening even though you didn't get to read it! ;) I need to get some more work done before bed.
    <3
    Kylia pissed off at family in Ohio yet will get over it.....
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    💤😴🌜
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Cheri— Watching news, worried about College Station. Be safe. ❤️

The shooting was just north of my daughter's neighborhood in an industrial park area. So very sad and scary. Time will reveal what prompted the event. Too close for comfort. We are fine and will spend some time with Ros tomorrow settling her mental and emotional health down.
    Thanks for the concern! Much appreciated!

Cheri
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,326 Member
    Good evening all, just a quick catch up.

Pat C-good news on bloodwork. Glad you don’t have to start meds.

Tracey-thanks for sharing your experience. With my hip replacements and related experiences I know what I should do-but I often don’t listen to myself! Congrats on the pay bonus-well deserved. Sorry for loss of resident.

Barbara-I have been in touch with my trainer and we are in agreement nothing except normal movement around house for task and moving around at work until back more completely released. It seems to be helping.

Julie-had inflamed bursa in hip and then fell (two things at once). They believe the bursa came from reaction to second vaccine. However, much better than Covid!

Sue in Wa-I don’t blame you for your hesitancy to visit friend. Perhaps she could try calling you when she is sober or do a facetime/zoom.

Rebecca-personally, I believe a mother missing her son should be an emergency for all armed forces.

Viv Uk-glad dog is on the mend. I would have had no idea what to do.

Have been going into office every day this week. Feels good to have something back to some sort of normal, even if there aren't many staff present.

Back and leg showing steady improvement. Sleeping through night now (of course, I don't count the potty trip(s) as part of lack of sleep). I am hopeful this weekend I can do a short walk outside and start getting more movement.

Unusually warm here this week. Storms started to move through today and temps will be returning to normal.

Off to bed-have an early meeting in the office in the morning.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    Heather - still writing, but the subjects I was willing to tackle have slowed down. Picking and choosing more these days - if I have to do three hours of research, then another hour to write a 600-word article that pays $23, then it's not worth it. For a 1,000-word article that pays $67, it makes sense, but with the longer writing time, if the research is more than a couple hours, it's still getting past the point of being worth it. I try to keep my pay in the $20 an hour range if possible.

The biggest part is always the research time. For instance, the last four I wrote were about the mythology around the March birthstone, what a social work master's degree entails, the synergy between technology and social work (same client) and what's available in the area around Irving, Texas. All of these were reasonably easily researched pieces.

However, a quick sample of the ones that are available right now are requests for: How to deal with ransomware, whether businesses should use Exchange servers, the data centricity of artificial intelligence, and electronic healthcare records interoperability. I know that I could write any of those four, but I have zero interest in learning technology at those levels anymore.

There are moments, honestly, when I feel like a petulant child. I just don't WANT to do that! I've done a couple of the high-tech ones on special request from the company--but didn't like it. The best part of being retired is supposed to be doing what you want... And at the moment, there aren't many that I want to write. There's an ebb and flow, and more will come around again later.

Thanks for asking. :smiley:
    Lisa

Have you thought about doing freelance editing? My brother does that and seems to enjoy it. I think he has acquired work through Upwork, but I could be mistaken.

https://www.upwork.com/cat/writing-translation

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Playing catch-up again and losing 😂. You are posting quicker tha I can rad 😂

Weekly grocery shopping done and dusted (literally 😂). Winter is having a last gasp at the moment. Snow, hail and winds blowing down from the north.

The tulips and daffodils are being blasted. My magnolia and camellias had started bursting forth, but the cold has stalled them, but only temporarily.

We are planning a walk after lunch with DYD and her dogs if the weather allows.

Not sure why, but my weight has dropped a couple of lbs despite having had Easter goodies over the last week. This process is often a mystery. more slowly than we are posting.

Page 12

☘️ Terri

Camellias? At this time of year? You're going into spring, aren't you?

Camellias are a mid-winter flower. Ours have fat little buds on them, and we'll likely start seeing flowers when it gets colder around the end of May.

M in Oz

My camellias are spring flowering.

Here they bloom all winter, and there's a brief overlap with spring when the daffodils come out and the camellias are in their last week or two. :)
  • Machka9
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    KJ: Not to alarm you, but lapses in hygiene is one of the indicators of onset of dementia. When I met DH, he showered 2x a day, and shaved daily. Now, pfffft! He looks and smells like a scruffy old man, and has no idea of how bad his blond hair looks. It's one of the biggest struggles I, and many others have, have as a caregiver.

Our new floor installation went okay. They hit a couple of snags, and caused a tiny leak on one of the toilets. They will pick up a new part and be here tomorrow to fix it. I have some more reorganizing to do in the master closet, but can only tackle bits and pieces of it between taking care of my two old guys. But overall, I am thrilled with the results. Bedroom still needs paint, window treatments and a bookcase. All in time.

Speaking of caregiving, our dear home care aid, Mary slipped and hurt her back. She hasn't been here this week, and I miss her tremendously. She has a few more weeks with this agency, and then will return to her career as an Occupational Therapist working with special needs children. I dread having to break in a new carer, but don't have any other choice. We would be so lucky to find another gem like her who has such a good way with my DH's advanced dementia quirks. 🤞🏽🤞🏽🤞🏽

Speaking of quirks...I have to corral him from the kitchen where he is trying to wash dishes but making a bigger mess.

Stay well friends. Cherish your health and that of your loved ones. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
    Just Flowing with It

The visit to the Dr which triggered my husband to start showering a bit more regularly included a discussion about dementia. He is likely to start deteriorating soon and as you say, forgetting personal hygiene is one of the indicators. When he heard that, he started showering a bit more regularly.

I'm sorry to hear your gem Mary will be moving on. It is hard to transition to someone new. We had Kaz who was fantastic. I could just about have moved her in here full time. But eventually she had to go to be with her mother and we had new people who weren't as good. I hope you can find someone as good!! :heart:

Hugs
    M in Oz

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I have low energy and wish for more. I’ve been too sedentary. I t is time to walk regularly & call my friend at the stable.

I’ve been watching a real trial on TV. It is in Minnesota. I hope to see the end and justice served.

Katla
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,931 Member
    Michelle- I am so sorry you got such terrible news from the vet- It is so hard. Love them so much but can't let them suffer.
    We just went through it less than a week ago.
    Debbie
  • Humdinger713
    Humdinger713 Posts: 5 Member
    This sounds like the group I need to be part of!
    Hello everybody! I have motivation, but am looking for some accountability. That really works for me!
  • Machka9
    2j4hg9qe8ane.png

Welcome newcomers to this thread!

It is a fast moving thread because there are quite a few of us here.
    Please don't feel like you need to read all the posts ... I skim! :)
    Please don't feel like you need to respond to all the posts ... just jump in wherever you feel comfortable.

When you're ready, tell us a bit about yourselves.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Here's a Getting to Know You question which we've had before, but this might be a good time to revisit it.

What exercise(s) do you like to do?

Machka in Oz

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    <3