Net carbs .. how do I know what percent fat and protein

Options
Hello my setting for net carbs is 30 g
How do I know what percentage/ grams my fat and protein should be set at

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Do you want to do keto? Peotein wiuld probably be at 0.8gr per kg target weight. Rest fat.
  • joanneelizabethmarshall
    Options
    I’m not doing Keto just lower net carbs. My set net carbs is 35 g (12 percent) I’m probably going to get down to 30 g. So I don’t know what percent my fat and protein are approximately
  • CaydensMommy
    CaydensMommy Posts: 315 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I'm also trying keto. I'm going to add yall! I downloaded Carb Manager and after you input your info: weight, height, gender, it'll give you and idea of how much fat and protein to do. If it doesn't work for you then maybe adjust it some.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    For the last few months My net carbs was in the 25-35 grams of carbs on most days... I just recently decided to shift my balance closer to 20 and increasing Healthy fats in it's place, only cause it seems to have made immediate improvements in my blood Ketone and glucose levels. But I would say you will be fine there, your pretty close to keto at that level really, you could probably add a bit more here and there with no ill effects. Personally I'm about 58-66% Fat calories, 6-9% Net Carb Calories, rest protein and I could probably shave the protein more in exchange for fat, but i just enjoy eating meat. :smiley:

If either of you guys want a peak over a shoulder at another low carbers daily food log, please send me a friend request. I promise you I make really yummy low carb food on the daily. (Plus I got lots of examples of what one can do with Legit best Keto Bread recipe.) I know I could use more "Low carbers" on the team! :)

You can also check out the https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    I’m not doing Keto just lower net carbs. My set net carbs is 35 g (12 percent) I’m probably going to get down to 30 g. So I don’t know what percent my fat and protein are approximately

That would be keto levels for most (assuming you are at all active).

But it doesn't really matter. What your protein and fat would be depends on your total cals and goals.

Personally, I think it's important to get at least 25 g fiber (I usually prefer more, but it can be harder with carbs so low), so would translate 35 net to 60 g total. Then, I would figure out protein as recommended above -- at least 0.8 g per lb of my healthy goal weight. For me that's about 96-100 g. To make the math easy for this illustration, that gives me 50 g total carbs and 100 g protein, so 150 g of carbs and protein, which comes to 600 cals. Let's say you want to do about 1500 cals, that would leave 900 cals for fat, or 100 grams.

If you want those in percentages, it's about 60% fat, 10-15% carbs, and 25-30% protein, but I prefer focusing on grams, especially if my carb goal is net carbs. It's simpler. I also would treat the fiber (25 g) as a goal, the carbs as a limit, the protein as a goal, and then the fat to eat to satiety/make sure I hit my cals or get close.

In reality, I do low carb, but don't really care that much about specific gram numbers of anything but protein (and fiber, but my fiber is always fine). I would get to a very low carb number just by cutting back on or avoiding foods other than non starchy veg, plus some nuts, seeds, and occasional yogurt. Since I actually just do low carb and don't aim for keto levels, I'd add back in some occasional starchy veg like potatoes, as well as beans/lentils (great for fiber), and fruit too. At this point I can pretty much guess around how many carbs I am eating, but tracking is how you learn that.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    [quote="jPersonally, I think it's important to get at least 25 g fiber (I usually prefer more, but it can be harder with carbs so low)

I agree with everything lemurcat2 said, and it for sure can be difficult to hit the fiber goals for many... But it can be done if you are of the mind set to attempt a stricter Keto. I'm still managing to hit 25 grams most days. Some days more some days less. I'm eating 1600 cals daily. But it does take effort for sure, and adding carbs does make hitting those fiber goals easier.

• JennBona
    JennBona Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I do lower carb not keto (20%) ..I just looked up an online calculator to help me with fat and protein im doing 30% protein and 50% fat ...add me if you like :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Poobah1972 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    [quote="jPersonally, I think it's important to get at least 25 g fiber (I usually prefer more, but it can be harder with carbs so low)

I agree with everything lemurcat2 said, and it for sure can be difficult to hit the fiber goals for many... But it can be done if you are of the mind set to attempt a stricter Keto. I'm still managing to hit 25 grams most days. Some days more some days less. I'm eating 1600 cals daily. But it does take effort for sure, and adding carbs does make hitting those fiber goals easier.

Yeah, agreed -- to be clear I wasn't meaning to say it couldn't be done. It does mean being a bit stricter about carb source, but I think there are reasons to be somewhat strict about that anyway when eating so low carb. It was more just my explanation for why I was assuming 60 g total carbs from 35 g net.
  • franklin5280
    franklin5280 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Don't make this harder than it needs to be. First, you should figure out your Protein, in most cases people here are trying to lose fat and gain muscle. 1 gr of Protein per lb of ideal body weight. Set fat to 25%, and Carbs get the remaining calories.