Do you track everything in MFP?

2»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I track at Cronometer in part because one of my motivations for tracking is seeing if I can hit 100% or more of all nutrients, so I do, or my diet would look much worse than it is. I did even when I tracked at MFP, however, for the following reasons:

(1) I eat a lot of veg and wanted the encouragement to eat even more. Sometimes you think you eat more than you do if you don't measure/weigh and track.

(2) Because I eat a lot of veg and some fruit, my total cal goal would be quite different if I didn't include them, and I'd rather have a sense of my real calorie numbers.

(3) I want to be able to compare days that are harder and easier and seeing everything I eat makes that easier.

(4) If don't find that logging veg and fruit makes my logging at all more difficult, since they are easy to log (and when cooking I just put veg on the scale after chopping). But also, if I didn't feel like weighing, veg and fruit are low enough cal that they are easy to estimate, and I will use things like "a large zucchini" or eyeball "a cup of spinach" or "a medium apple" if that happens to be somewhat more convenient. I'd only recommend weighing veg (if you are weighing) initially if you think there's any chance you might be overestimating what you are consuming.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I do not track salad greens. So my wife's typical amazing salad is entered as 1/4 avocado and 1tbs olive oil. Thus, I've skipped the lettuce, cucumber, radish, onion, mustard, etc.

I do put something in for broccoli, cauliflower, potato, sweet potato, and all fruits.

(Note, I'm an approximate logger at this point and it mostly works out.)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,942 Member
    Yeah I have a generic "Small salad" in my MEALS. I put in it all the regular stuff I use at the approximate portions. I left out avocado and dressing because that changes frequently. Then I can just add a "Small salad" and all the ingredients will auto-populate into my FOOD diary. I can adjust portions quickly if I feel like it, but I mostly say, "Close enough" and then add the dressing and call it good.
  • sdailly13
    sdailly13 Posts: 37 Member
    Simply put, yes anything that has a calorie I add, or what's the point of calorie counting. No one can be 100% accurate all the time but there's a difference between a few extra calories and a few 100 extra calories per day.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It's not essential to log veggies and fruits, if you can lose weight successfully without doing so. Having a high maintenance number (because active or currently large) makes it easier to succeed while being more approximate, of course. Not eating very many veggies/fruit makes it easier to lose weight successfully while not logging them, though I think eating very few of them is a sub-ideal plan in a nutritional sense.

I do log all veggies & fruits (and weigh them, in normal circumstances). Here are some reasons why:

* I want to hit certain nutritional goals as minimums, and that's harder when not logging veg/fruit. (Veg/fruit have protein, fiber, fats, not just micros). I even have an explicit goal for veggie/fruit servings daily. (I shoot for 5x80g servings minimum, prefer 10+ servings.)

* I quickly figured out that MFP estimates my calorie needs really inaccurately (it's way too *low*), so while losing, I wanted to log everything with calories quite meticulously, in order to get a more accurate, data-based understanding of my actual calorie needs. (Knowing that has turned out to be really valuable in maintenance, and not just to get a single maintenance number and ride with that).

* This will be untrue for many, with different cognitive strengths/weaknesses than mine, but it's literally easier for me to weigh everything, on autopilot, rather than go through some thought process about whether to weigh, what the estimate is if I don't weigh, etc. It's a reflex now: Weigh, note, log. No thinking, just doing. (Yes, occasionally I still do screw up if distracted, and it doesn't stress me. *Then* I shrug, estimate, log and go on with life.)

* Also untrue for many, but careful logging *reduces* stress for me. I love food, want to eat as much of it as possible. But after spending around 30 years obese, then the last 5+ years at a healthy weight, I know healthy weight is so much better, healthier, happier. I want *both* current Ann and future Ann to be happy. Current Ann wants to eat as much yummy food as possible, every single calorie. Future Ann needs current behavior to deliver her a healthy body of a sensible weight, and good health via adequate nutrition, or she won't be nearly as happy. Logging carefully balances current with future needs, for me.

I also agree with pretty much everything Lemur said a bit above, and recognize that some of what I said is restating with a bit different spin.

Like many in the thread, I'm also someone who commonly eats *a lot* of veggies and fruits, often over a kg per day of them, sometimes lots over. It isn't just 100-200 calories; it can easily be 400+ . . . but it isn't always (depends on which veg/fruit choices). That's a big chunk of my TDEE potentially in play. If I don't log it, I don't have even a remotely reasonable estimate of intake.

Over the past year plus, I decided to creep my weight down ultra-slowly (averaging around a quarter pound a week) to lose a few vanity pounds in maintenance. Now I'm down 12-15 pounds. It was easy and painless. Part of the reason it was so easy is that I have a really good handle on my calorie needs with or without exercise, and a weight management process that I now trust to be very reliable, after almost 6 years of practice.

These are not things that will matter to everyone. Some find logging annoying, which I don't. Some don't have the same goals I have, which is fine: We're all individuals. I'm just sharing this as things to consider, as you (OP) plan how you want to go about this. I'm a huge believer that it's really important to success to tailor our process to our individual preferences, strengths, limitations, context. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice-versa.

Best wishes for success!

This 100% yes on all levels. AnnPT77 also track like you and it is not only automatic but I love it! The difference is I am very small and maitenance is very low.
    I track all my fruit and vegetables, otherwise I would have barely anything to track! I love veggies and my entire eating is based on vegetables.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,031 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    It's not essential to log veggies and fruits, if you can lose weight successfully without doing so. Having a high maintenance number (because active or currently large) makes it easier to succeed while being more approximate, of course. Not eating very many veggies/fruit makes it easier to lose weight successfully while not logging them, though I think eating very few of them is a sub-ideal plan in a nutritional sense.

I do log all veggies & fruits (and weigh them, in normal circumstances). Here are some reasons why:

* I want to hit certain nutritional goals as minimums, and that's harder when not logging veg/fruit. (Veg/fruit have protein, fiber, fats, not just micros). I even have an explicit goal for veggie/fruit servings daily. (I shoot for 5x80g servings minimum, prefer 10+ servings.)

* I quickly figured out that MFP estimates my calorie needs really inaccurately (it's way too *low*), so while losing, I wanted to log everything with calories quite meticulously, in order to get a more accurate, data-based understanding of my actual calorie needs. (Knowing that has turned out to be really valuable in maintenance, and not just to get a single maintenance number and ride with that).

* This will be untrue for many, with different cognitive strengths/weaknesses than mine, but it's literally easier for me to weigh everything, on autopilot, rather than go through some thought process about whether to weigh, what the estimate is if I don't weigh, etc. It's a reflex now: Weigh, note, log. No thinking, just doing. (Yes, occasionally I still do screw up if distracted, and it doesn't stress me. *Then* I shrug, estimate, log and go on with life.)

* Also untrue for many, but careful logging *reduces* stress for me. I love food, want to eat as much of it as possible. But after spending around 30 years obese, then the last 5+ years at a healthy weight, I know healthy weight is so much better, healthier, happier. I want *both* current Ann and future Ann to be happy. Current Ann wants to eat as much yummy food as possible, every single calorie. Future Ann needs current behavior to deliver her a healthy body of a sensible weight, and good health via adequate nutrition, or she won't be nearly as happy. Logging carefully balances current with future needs, for me.

I also agree with pretty much everything Lemur said a bit above, and recognize that some of what I said is restating with a bit different spin.

Like many in the thread, I'm also someone who commonly eats *a lot* of veggies and fruits, often over a kg per day of them, sometimes lots over. It isn't just 100-200 calories; it can easily be 400+ . . . but it isn't always (depends on which veg/fruit choices). That's a big chunk of my TDEE potentially in play. If I don't log it, I don't have even a remotely reasonable estimate of intake.

Over the past year plus, I decided to creep my weight down ultra-slowly (averaging around a quarter pound a week) to lose a few vanity pounds in maintenance. Now I'm down 12-15 pounds. It was easy and painless. Part of the reason it was so easy is that I have a really good handle on my calorie needs with or without exercise, and a weight management process that I now trust to be very reliable, after almost 6 years of practice.

These are not things that will matter to everyone. Some find logging annoying, which I don't. Some don't have the same goals I have, which is fine: We're all individuals. I'm just sharing this as things to consider, as you (OP) plan how you want to go about this. I'm a huge believer that it's really important to success to tailor our process to our individual preferences, strengths, limitations, context. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice-versa.

Best wishes for success!

This 100% yes on all levels. AnnPT77 also track like you and it is not only automatic but I love it! The difference is I am very small and maitenance is very low.
    I track all my fruit and vegetables, otherwise I would have barely anything to track! I love veggies and my entire eating is based on vegetables.

FWIW, while I'm not "very small", I'm not exactly a statuesque Amazon at 5'5", 125-ish pounds, age 65, sedentary outside of exercise. Admittedly, my maintenance TDEE is improbably high for some reason, for those stats, which is nice. I suspect eating lots of plants helps (both of us) a tiny, vanishingly small bit, via TEF. 😉
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    edited April 2021
    VegjoyP wrote: »

Best wishes for success!

FWIW, while I'm not "very small", I'm not exactly a statuesque Amazon at 5'5", 125-ish pounds, age 65, sedentary outside of exercise. Admittedly, my maintenance TDEE is improbably high for some reason, for those stats, which is nice. I suspect eating lots of plants helps (both of us) a tiny, vanishingly small bit, via TEF. 😉

You are super ! I'm 5' 5 but a little more than several .pounds less ...lol. I'm vegan so vegetables are LIFE! 😋😋😋
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    There are a few things I don't weigh but do count. A medium carrot is about 40 calories - 100g. I just log it. Same for Romaine. A plateful of Romaine is about 15 calories. Log it. But, when it comes to oil at 9 calories per gram, I weigh every drop. Not literally, of course. I weigh the bottle, pour the oil and weigh it again and subtract. None of this nonsense about teaspoons and tablespoons and 1/4 cup eyeballed which are inaccurate due to surface tension and oil retained on the measuring spoon.