Weight up after workout

Scale was up nearly 3lbs this morning. Weigh myself first thing in the morning, nude after 1 cup of black coffee/using the rest room.
I guess 16oz of water explains one of the lbs but what about the rest?
I eat in a deficit.
I'm not doing new exercises but i am increasing the weight. 35lb dumbell hammer curls and 45lb dumbell dead lifts (so really only 90lbs. Thats not much weight at all for a mostly back exercise)?

Is this water weight for muscle repair? Would water pills the day of a workout be a benefit? Or is day after working out a bad idea to weigh in due to vanity?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Your body will retain water to help repair muscle after a workout. Why would you want to interfere with that process by taking water pills?

If it bothers you to see weight gain the day after a rough workout, then it would be a bad idea. Many of us find more success in just accepting our weight will fluctuate even when we're trending down and we take that into account mentally.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    SeanD2021 wrote: »
    Scale was up nearly 3lbs this morning. Weigh myself first thing in the morning, nude after 1 cup of black coffee/using the rest room.
    I guess 16oz of water explains one of the lbs but what about the rest?
    I eat in a deficit.
    I'm not doing new exercises but i am increasing the weight. 35lb dumbell hammer curls and 45lb dumbell dead lifts (so really only 90lbs. Thats not much weight at all for a mostly back exercise)?

Is this water weight for muscle repair? Would water pills the day of a workout be a benefit? Or is day after working out a bad idea to weigh in due to vanity?

Why are you doing a bunch of hand wringing over water weight...your body is comprised of roughly 55-65% water and that's always going to be in flux for a myriad of reasons...talk of water pills and such because you're worried about water weight isn't a healthy mindset at all. Your body is doing what it is supposed to be doing. Weight management is overall about long term trends, not this particular day or that.

Also, when in doubt do the math...you would be well aware of having consumed 10,500 calories over maintenance in a day if you actually gained 3 Lbs of fat.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Everyone answered your specific question so I'll go more general- don't worry about a single scale measurement. A single weigh-in is completely meaningless. Weigh yourself regularly with a rhythm that works for you (daily/weekly/at random), add them to a plot and then don't look at a time period smaller than a month.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    Just so you know: we all hate it when our weight fluctuates upward. It sucks!

Usually it's due to a combination of factors, including perhaps salt in your diet the day before. Anyway, your daily weight fluctuations are really inconsequential. You have to average over about 7 days to even measure a weight change ~1lb accurately.

If you are really watching your diet, it will be up one day and down the next with a slight trend down over time!

Best of luck!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Just so you know: we all hate it when our weight fluctuates upward. It sucks!

All?
    Not true!

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I don't think fluctuations upwards suck just as I don't celebrate downward fluctuations, they are just normal and expected. Data not emotion for me.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    edited April 2021
    Probably, No, Yes
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Doesn't bother me in the slightest, I don't think fluctuations upwards suck just as I don't celebrate downward fluctuations, they are just normal and expected. Data not emotion for me.

OK. Some of are apparently OK with it. When I'm on a cut, it bugs the sh1t out of me! When I'm trying to maintain, I'm only slightly less perturbed.