Any other tall ladies get this?

Options
2»

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I think the very best response is: "Thanks for asking, but my doctor is so pleased with my progress".
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    "You don't need to lose weight you look fine"

This is really starting to grate on me. I get that being 6ft tall I have to put a significant amount of weight on before I look overweight. But I started my journey 2 weeks ago at 13st9lb which is overweight for my height. I just think, as somebody who is trying to adopt a healthier lifestyle my family and friends could be more focused on how that is and will continue to benefit me rather than telling me I don't look like I need to lose weight.

Do any other tall ladies get this?

I'm 5'10" and I do get this as well. My BMI crept up to 30.1 in 2020, so borderline obese, but most people would not have classified me as obese by looking at me. I mentioned to the lady I eat lunch with at work that I was watching my calories (because we eat together and sometimes order in so it is kind of relevant) and I got the "that's crazy you look fine you don't need to lose weight". As if it is only about how I look.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Yup. I am also 6ft and currently overweight by BMI. In the past when I let my weight creep up I absolutely got the comments saying I didn't "Need" to lose weight and such. Everyone has an opinion and no one realizes tall proportions! I had a girl once say to me that she thought people who weighed over 150 lbs were disgusting. She was trying to bond with me (gross) and I think I was 165 lbs (BMI 22.4). She had no idea that height added that much weight. She was also a bully but that's a different issue...

I've had a similar thing - a tiny petite woman talking about waist size and "how would it even be possible for a woman to have over 30" waist?".
    It's called proportion. But honestly when I was younger it really did get to me and I always felt like I looked manly and masculine because of my height and shape, so it took a bit to get over that.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I'm tall... I realize I can gain weight and carry it much better than someone short. I'm glad for it.. but also.. the weight can creep up..and overweight is overweight,. I also find... best to try and not discuss that I'm trying to lose weight,. It takes a lot of self control not to discuss it.. but then no one comments.. and gives their two cents.. and most do. And most important ... some even try to sabotage my efforts.
  • ladyoftherocks
    ladyoftherocks Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm not even that tall, I'm 5'6 and 175lbs but yeah I also get that. I think with my body shape also I "carry it well" because even though I knew I gained more weight than I was happy with even I didn't realize just how much.