Eating 1,500 cal a day with exercise and still not loosing weight...

Hey MFP peeps,

I was wondering if anyone can help me. Over the last year, I embarked on a fitness/weight loss journey. To date, I have lost 20kg down from 101kg to 81kg. I'm 5ft 4 and 30 years old.

My issues are, at the moment I'm eating 1,500 cals a day with exercise at least 5 times a week (mix of gym, 5k run and rugby) and I can't seem to drop any more.

Weight in KG isn't really a problem as I am happy at 81kg but I want to keep losing size from my chest and waist and seem to have hit a wall :(

Any recommendations?

Thanks, everyone.

Adam

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    How long has your weight stayed the same? How are you counting calories? How are you counting exercise?

Open your diary for more helpful feedback.
  • ajsandham11
    ajsandham11 Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2021
    Hi both,

It has been about 2/2.5 months with no change. I have been focusing on 6 days 1,300-1,500 and one cheat day to have a frozen pizza and crisps. it's really the only way to keep myself motivated to stay on course throughout the week.

I count cals through myfitnesspal and track my exercise through my fitbit.

Thanks for your help :)

p.s. I think my diary is open now..
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Addressing another thing here. You can't choose where to lose from. You will lose all over of you lose more, not just your chest and waist.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    When you were losing steady - what was the rate of loss weekly?
    Or pick the last 4 weeks of normal loss, what was the total loss for that chunk of time?

Is the activity level all included about the same now as then?

And that was a total of 1500 calories no matter the level of activity?
    Of course as you weigh less you burn less doing everything, so not sure if you played the end game out as to where you plan to go as you come closer to goal weight - the game of how low can you go never seems to work well.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    It took me nine months to lose the last 15 pounds.

It's very slow going when you're already at a healthy weight.

Are you doing any weight lifting? That would give you the shape you're after without having to lose any more weight.
  • ajsandham11
    Yes, hitting the gym twice a week, one 5k run and two rugby training sessions. I would stick to 1,500 cals no matter the cals burned.

I was loosing on average 1/2 kg a week.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    Yes, hitting the gym twice a week, one 5k run and two rugby training sessions. I would stick to 1,500 cals no matter the cals burned.

What I meant was weight lifting...that's how you can reshape your physique. The running and rugby are good cardio, but the weight lifting would give you a more fine-tuned physique especially for decreasing your waist. Of course, some of it will be genetic but a lot of it is muscular and core work.
  • ajsandham11

What I meant was weight lifting...that's how you can reshape your physique. The running and rugby are good cardio, but the weight lifting would give you a more fine-tuned physique especially for decreasing your waist. Of course, some of it will be genetic but a lot of it is muscular and core work.

Yeah, weight lift two full body days per week
  • ajsandham11
    heybales wrote: »

0.5 kg x 7716 cal fat/kg / 7 days = 551 cal apparent deficit daily.

If truly eating 1500, you would have been only burning 2050 on average.

Perhaps you are very sedentary outside that activity.
    Perhaps that activity isn't burning nearly as much as I'd think.

But I'd sure think you are burning more than that on average.
    Which means you were actually eating more than that on average.

Your food logging is probably not that accurate.

Once you get accurate, I'd suggest 250 deficit too, or .25 kg weekly, this close to the end.

Out of curiosity, what amount of cals would you suggest? And if I workout, I don't add these cals on to the day?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    leggup wrote: »
    I have been focusing on 6 days 1,300-1,500 and one cheat day to have a frozen pizza and crisps. it's really the only way to keep myself motivated to stay on course throughout the week.

It is 100% possible to wipe out a calorie deficit with 1 cheat day. I'm actually quite good at doing just that myself, heh. Going through your diary time- are you using a food scale? Some of the items are a little suspect.
    • Yorkshire Tea - Tea, 500 ml Yorkshire Tea,50ml semi-skim milk 1/2 tsp(2g) unrefined sugar: is this a pre-packaged item? Otherwise, this should be tea and sugar separately with the sugar weighed.
    • Aldi - Xplosade, 500 ml: 146 calories: What an odd calorie count on a drink. Are you sure this is right?
    • Lidl - Vanilla & Yogurt Protein Bar, 45 g 194 calories: What an odd calorie count- are you sure this is right?

In the past 3 weeks from yesterday (21 days):
    • Days with 1400-1700 Calories logged: 7
    • Days 1700+ Calories: 6
    • Blank Days/less than 900 cals logged: 8

So--- in 3 weeks of data, you only logged 1/3 of your meals as between 1400-1700: that's 33%. Now- on days where you ate 1,700 calories, it says that you burned and earned a few hundred calories. It may benefit you to eat back a smaller % of your workout calories, particularly if you're getting any calories from lifting workouts. I typically eat back 90-100% of my workout calories if I am losing weight. If i'm not losing weight, I drop down the amount I'm eating back to 80% or even 50%.

Here's your real problem, though- Blank days. In 3 weeks there were 7 completely blank days and 1 that was 800 cals, probably not all you ate. You said "one cheat day" but 8 days in 21 is more than twice a week. Without complete data it's hard to say. I suggest logging even your "cheat day" and then calculating your calories net for the week. If I know that I want to eat more on a Saturday, have wine, etc, I will eat -200 for Thurs-Sat (or workout +200) and indulge guilt-free.

Thank for this :)

The Yorkshire tea, I'll start adding individually but I don't have sugar it's just milk and the tea bag.

In terms of the suspect calories. All the calories are what comes up when scanning on MFP and all cross checked with the packaging and they match...

I'll start tracking cheat days too.

Really appreciate your help ☺️

Really the simplest explanation is that you are wiping out your deficit on your cheat days :(

Yeah, if someone isn't meeting their goals and they have an unlogged cheat day, that's really the easiest and most logical place to start. It's really, really easy to eat enough on a cheat day to wipe out a deficit, especially if you're keeping yourself very low on the other days.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Once you get accurate, I'd suggest 250 deficit too, or .25 kg weekly, this close to the end.

Out of curiosity, what amount of cals would you suggest? And if I workout, I don't add these cals on to the day?

A 250 cal deficit would mean eating 250 less than you burn in the day.

Are you burning calories in the workout?
  • ajsandham11
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    leggup wrote: »
    I have been focusing on 6 days 1,300-1,500 and one cheat day to have a frozen pizza and crisps. it's really the only way to keep myself motivated to stay on course throughout the week.

It is 100% possible to wipe out a calorie deficit with 1 cheat day. I'm actually quite good at doing just that myself, heh. Going through your diary time- are you using a food scale? Some of the items are a little suspect.
    • Yorkshire Tea - Tea, 500 ml Yorkshire Tea,50ml semi-skim milk 1/2 tsp(2g) unrefined sugar: is this a pre-packaged item? Otherwise, this should be tea and sugar separately with the sugar weighed.
    • Aldi - Xplosade, 500 ml: 146 calories: What an odd calorie count on a drink. Are you sure this is right?
    • Lidl - Vanilla & Yogurt Protein Bar, 45 g 194 calories: What an odd calorie count- are you sure this is right?

In the past 3 weeks from yesterday (21 days):
    • Days with 1400-1700 Calories logged: 7
    • Days 1700+ Calories: 6
    • Blank Days/less than 900 cals logged: 8

So--- in 3 weeks of data, you only logged 1/3 of your meals as between 1400-1700: that's 33%. Now- on days where you ate 1,700 calories, it says that you burned and earned a few hundred calories. It may benefit you to eat back a smaller % of your workout calories, particularly if you're getting any calories from lifting workouts. I typically eat back 90-100% of my workout calories if I am losing weight. If i'm not losing weight, I drop down the amount I'm eating back to 80% or even 50%.

Here's your real problem, though- Blank days. In 3 weeks there were 7 completely blank days and 1 that was 800 cals, probably not all you ate. You said "one cheat day" but 8 days in 21 is more than twice a week. Without complete data it's hard to say. I suggest logging even your "cheat day" and then calculating your calories net for the week. If I know that I want to eat more on a Saturday, have wine, etc, I will eat -200 for Thurs-Sat (or workout +200) and indulge guilt-free.

Thank for this :)

The Yorkshire tea, I'll start adding individually but I don't have sugar it's just milk and the tea bag.

In terms of the suspect calories. All the calories are what comes up when scanning on MFP and all cross checked with the packaging and they match...

I'll start tracking cheat days too.

Really appreciate your help ☺️

Really the simplest explanation is that you are wiping out your deficit on your cheat days :(

Nooooo! hahah, I thought it would be the case :(

In real terms, do I have to stop my cheat day? No more monstermunch for me lol
  • ajsandham11

A 250 cal deficit would mean eating 250 less than you burn in the day.

Are you burning calories in the workout?

Yes, I have 1,500 cal plan and then typically lose 500 and still stick to the 1,500. Shall I be adding more to my cals