What dose everyone think about the 5x5

2»

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2021
    nygator06 wrote: »
    Ok I have an appointment today with what sounds like a good trainer . Came recommended from a few people that visit my local gym . Thanks to everyone for the insight and advice.

That's a good start. I was always hesitant with large gym trainers. My son is a pretty decent power lifter and I know enough to be dangerous about it but not too much. I used to belong to a huge LA Fitness. There was one trainer out of like 5 that I would have ever listened to any advice from. His form doing lifting was fantastic. That's the issue with trainers. Unless you have recommendations or know what you're seeing to know if it's good or not, it's hard.

There were many in that gym that always used the rower. I do a lot of indoor rowing. Their own form (which is supposed to be similar to a deadlift) was horrific. Why would I ever want to learn from someone that has awful form themselves.

Find someone that does heavy powerlifting in your gym and looks like they have good form (there are videos on YouTube if you don't begin to know what it looks like). Ask one of them if they would use the same trainer that others are recommending. They will usually know the trainers who know what they are doing and the ones that don't.

That's the other issue. Usually, great trainers aren't in big franchise/chain type of gyms, where most of the population goes. Usually they have their own clientele to where they don't need the gym for new clients or they have a small gym with serious members.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited April 2021
    While the programming aspect is much maligned, Starting Strength does offer a decent mechanical analysis of the main barbell lifts.

It could be a starting point for analyzing your own form, or what someone else is attempting to teach you.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Starting Strength is a great beginner program with less volume than 5x5 programs (3x5). For that reason I would recommend it over 5x5 for a new lifter. You will work up to needing more volume eventually but SS will take you a long way.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    I did Starting Strength for awhile too.

My (and other people's) only problem w/it was the incorporation of Power Cleans which is a technically difficult lift that can easily result in injury if done improperly w/excess weight. I (and other people) dropped it in lieu of rows (used in Stronglifts) which means that I (we) weren't really doing the program.

Note: I learned the opinion of "others" in this regard from the Starting Strength Forum that I frequented when I was attempting to follow that program.

PS: the reason Rippetoe incorporates Power Cleans (and Snatches) in his program is because he designed the program more towards athletic performance where "muscular explosiveness" is important but not really important for most of us.

In any event, its's something that you'll need to if you decide to take up Starting Strength instead of Stronglifts as a beginning lifting program.
  • davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    What do people think about Bigger Leaner Stronger as a starting program? That’s what I’m doing
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,091 Member
    davew0000 wrote: »
    What do people think about Bigger Leaner Stronger as a starting program? That’s what I’m doing

I did the women’s equivalent. BLS is a body builders beginners programme isn’t it?
    I found TLS ok. It depends what your goals are. It’s not for powerlifters for example!

I just outgrew TLS after a year and I found a better programme which incorporates RPE and has more appropriate volume for me.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    davew0000 wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    No it isn't appropriate for someone untrained and certainly isn't "the best" program for said person.

Too much volume, no autoregulation, starting intensity is too low for most as far as a working set.

That being said if you want to and 5×5 SL is the only program you can see yourself adhearing to then go for it. There is just better options for most people, but its fine as long as you don't run the grindyness of deloading and thinking you will develop strength gains within that program specifically.

Hi Chief,

Which would you recommend? I’m following Bigger Leaner Stronger (this first program I picked up).

Not a fan.

I would recommend finding a good experienced trainer that can tailor make a program to your goals.

If that isn't a option as of now I would go with something along the bridge or my default programming that incorporates auto regulation and proper load management.
  • nygator06
    nygator06 Posts: 22 Member
    So have had two work outs with the trainer . Very good knowledge able guy . Has helped me a lot with just little things . Getting me on the right track so I can stick to it. Thanks to all for the help and advice.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    I got a quote from a trainer once. I really just don't have $9-$12k laying around for no purpose.

I liked 5x5. I went slow. I did find my hamstrings are a bit behind and I needed to add good mornings to the list of exercises though. But that's just a personal weak area.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Here is a decent treatment of the subject:

https://southfloridaathleticclub.com/5x5-workout/
  • nygator06
    nygator06 Posts: 22 Member
    Hello everyone I made it a full week feel great the trainer helped me out a lot . Today was my last session with him i will most likely go back to him in a few weeks . He will check on my improvements. Thank you all for all the great information and advice.