• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    FiberousJ wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    They say that cardio makes your body too efficient at burning fat. Diet does too. I also believe the opposite is true. Extra eating makes your cardio inefficient at storing fat. That's why after a while when you've gained a certain amount of weight, it gets harder for you to gain more weight. You hit a plateau. The more fat and calories you eat, the more your body gets used to it and it gets tougher to gain. You become too efficient in the other direction. It only makes sense because it works both ways.

That's why one summer I ate nothing but cheeseburgers and pizza every day. I couldn't gain weight anymore because my body got used to those foods. My body got used to eating fatty meals and it didn't have the same caloric effect as before.

They say in cardio you got to switch it up because your body becomes too efficient. Same thing with eating and gaining. You gotta switch up the types of foods you're eating or your body gets used to it. Otherwise, you might actually start to lose a little weight if you don't switch it up. For instance, if you eat pizza every day your body gets used to it and so you start to get too skinny. So maybe try ice cream, to trick the body.

You may think it sounds crazy but this actually did happen to me.

That's not how it works. You most likely hit a threshold of body fat and your body kicked in satiety mechanisms. You actually ate less than you realized due to lower hunger.

Maybe. But isn't that just a different way of saying the same thing? More or less? The result was I still wasn't obese but could not gain weight no matter how much I enjoyed my pizza and burgers. Worked out every day though.

As you gain weight, the calories you need to maintain your current weight increase. Unless you eat more than that,you won't gain weight. This has nothing to do with pizza. If you were not gaining weight, it comes down to calories consumed relative to how many your body is using.

Well, that's true. But one of my points is people say that your body gets used to cardio and so it burns less calories. What I'm also pointing out as you just said is when your weight increases, your calorie burn increases. So in a way, it's like getting used to the fat you're eating. You can now eat more of it without gaining weight.

Because it takes more calories to maintain your weight, not because you're somehow immune to pizza calories.

People say all kinds of things. Your body doesn't get used to activity in that way and your body doesn't get used to burgers in that way. You're basing your beliefs on statements that aren't supported by evidence.

Well, maybe.... Maybe not..... There might be a place were the body starts to constrain metabolism at a certain threshold. Its starts lowering the amount of energy it is spending on non vital function.. IE Reproduction.... Evidence....
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4803033/

"We hypothesize that non-muscular physiological activity contributes substantially to activity energy expenditure2 and its adaptation to physical activity. Human studies and non-human animal models show that energy allocation across a broad range physiological tasks, including reproductive activity and somatic maintenance [5,13–19], may be reduced when physical activity increases, resulting in decreased activity energy expenditure2. Indeed, such physical activity-induced reduction in activity energy expenditure2 could potentially contribute to the beneficial health effects of exercise, reducing energy expenditure on inflammation and detrimental immune system activity"
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    They say that cardio makes your body too efficient at burning fat. Diet does too. I also believe the opposite is true. Extra eating makes your cardio inefficient at storing fat. That's why after a while when you've gained a certain amount of weight, it gets harder for you to gain more weight. You hit a plateau. The more fat and calories you eat, the more your body gets used to it and it gets tougher to gain. You become too efficient in the other direction. It only makes sense because it works both ways.

That's why one summer I ate nothing but cheeseburgers and pizza every day. I couldn't gain weight anymore because my body got used to those foods. My body got used to eating fatty meals and it didn't have the same caloric effect as before.

They say in cardio you got to switch it up because your body becomes too efficient. Same thing with eating and gaining. You gotta switch up the types of foods you're eating or your body gets used to it. Otherwise, you might actually start to lose a little weight if you don't switch it up. For instance, if you eat pizza every day your body gets used to it and so you start to get too skinny. So maybe try ice cream, to trick the body.

That's not how it works. You most likely hit a threshold of body fat and your body kicked in satiety mechanisms. You actually ate less than you realized due to lower hunger.

Maybe. But isn't that just a different way of saying the same thing? More or less? The result was I still wasn't obese but could not gain weight no matter how much I enjoyed my pizza and burgers. Worked out every day though.

As you gain weight, the calories you need to maintain your current weight increase. Unless you eat more than that,you won't gain weight. This has nothing to do with pizza. If you were not gaining weight, it comes down to calories consumed relative to how many your body is using.

Well, that's true. But one of my points is people say that your body gets used to cardio and so it burns less calories. What I'm also pointing out as you just said is when your weight increases, your calorie burn increases. So in a way, it's like getting used to the fat you're eating. You can now eat more of it without gaining weight.

Because it takes more calories to maintain your weight, not because you're somehow immune to pizza calories.

People say all kinds of things. Your body doesn't get used to activity in that way and your body doesn't get used to burgers in that way. You're basing your beliefs on statements that aren't supported by evidence.

Well, maybe.... Maybe not..... There might be a place were the body starts to constrain metabolism at a certain threshold. Its starts lowering the amount of energy it is spending on non vital function.. IE Reproduction.... Evidence....

You might have differences over time, but you're not producing energy from nothing. That is, the point at which different people are in a deficit will vary...but you will lose weight when you're in a deficit. You run five miles, that requires energy, even if you do it daily.
  • psychod787
    Options

You might have differences over time, but you're not producing energy from nothing. That is, the point at which different people are in a deficit will vary...but you will lose weight when you're in a deficit. You run five miles, that requires energy, even if you do it daily.

I agree that the first law of thermodynamics applies, but CO is seems to be more complex than we thought. Read the study if you haven't. We do get "used" to activity at a certain threshold. Would changing the activity work? Probably not. I think the issue with op is he is talking about a free living, non measured intake situation. Doubtful he/she was just eating pizza and burgers, but if they were the mono diet effect might kick in. I still think the OP was just hitting a satiety road block and could have forced fed to gain weight on the same foods. CI is also very, very, very, complex.
  • psychod787
    edited April 2021
    Options

"We hypothesize that non-muscular physiological activity contributes substantially to activity energy expenditure2 and its adaptation to physical activity. Human studies and non-human animal models show that energy allocation across a broad range physiological tasks, including reproductive activity and somatic maintenance [5,13–19], may be reduced when physical activity increases, resulting in decreased activity energy expenditure2. Indeed, such physical activity-induced reduction in activity energy expenditure2 could potentially contribute to the beneficial health effects of exercise, reducing energy expenditure on inflammation and detrimental immune system activity"

Not sure that’s really claiming the same thing, since it doesn’t posit the non-muscular activity dropping because of exercise being a single, consistent type. Presumably when the body doesn’t have excess calories to devote to things like inflammation, that happens pretty immediately and ends when the energy is supplied.

That's why I said maybe, maybe not. There is a noticeable jump in people from low activity to moderate, but when reaching the higher levels of activity, there is a transient increase in calories that goes down over time. So, what I am saying is, yes... we can get "used" to higher activity rates over time. As I said above, I don't think changing the activity to "confuse" the body would work. Yes, if you could supply the calories, but there is a limit to how many calories can be digested, turned to fuel, and then used in a certain time frame. I think the Author of the studies proposes 2-2.5 BMR is the max that can be digested and used.
  • psychod787
    Options
    If my bank account becomes efficient, I’m golden. Booking my trip to Bali.

Can I come. I will fetch the Singapore Slings and towels for you..
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I agree that the first law of thermodynamics applies, but CO is seems to be more complex than we thought. Read the study if you haven't. We do get "used" to activity at a certain threshold. Would changing the activity work? Probably not. I think the issue with op is he is talking about a free living, non measured intake situation. Doubtful he/she was just eating pizza and burgers, but if they were the mono diet effect might kick in. I still think the OP was just hitting a satiety road block and could have forced fed to gain weight on the same foods. CI is also very, very, very, complex.

In the sense OP is talking about, our bodies somehow doing things without requiring any energy, we don't "get used" to activity.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

Not sure that’s really claiming the same thing, since it doesn’t posit the non-muscular activity dropping because of exercise being a single, consistent type. Presumably when the body doesn’t have excess calories to devote to things like inflammation, that happens pretty immediately and ends when the energy is supplied.

That's why I said maybe, maybe not. There is a noticeable jump in people from low activity to moderate, but when reaching the higher levels of activity, there is a transient increase in calories that goes down over time. So, what I am saying is, yes... we can get "used" to higher activity rates over time. As I said above, I don't think changing the activity to "confuse" the body would work. Yes, if you could supply the calories, but there is a limit to how many calories can be digested, turned to fuel, and then used in a certain time frame. I think the Author of the studies proposes 2-2.5 BMR is the max that can be digested and used.

I do wonder, though, if there's a "training effect" in terms of what can be digested/used. There would appear to be outliers (e.g., some elite athletes), but it's not clear what the underlying cause of that outlier-hood is, i.e., in which direction the causation arrows point: Do they become elite athletes because they have a higher innate ability to digest/use calories, or do they develop a higher ability to digest/use calories alongside developing other physical changes involved in being fit to their endeavor.

I don't think any of that research represents much of a practical barrier to regular people doing the amounts of exercise that regular people, even very active ones, really do, and burning calories from doing so, in a context where training has a sensible progression. My triathlete buddies have a higher TDEE than my mixed-media artist buddies, on average, among people whose jobs aren't triathlon or arts.

I think one needs to be a little cautious about what's a population effect, and what's an individual effect, in assessing some of this research. Most of what I've seen hasn't been long enough to assess any potential "training effect" at an individual level. I think it's good and interesting research, I just don't think that it very well supports that "body confusion" nonsense as a practical matter for typical people, even as I do believe that over-exercising (to the point of even subtle fatigue) can bleed daily life activity calories out of individual people's day in the short run. Intelligent fitness development matters, I suspect, and that's a long-term proposition.

Edited: Minor wording clarifications.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    No.

Just all no.

Well if you wanna make your body immune to gaining weight from fat, you gotta get it used to it.

No. Not how it works.

The "body gets used to cardio" thing is false, too. "Body confusion"/"muscle confusion" is a myth spread by Beach Body and their ilk to keep you buying new & different programs and equipment.

I was so relieved when I learned that was a myth!

LOL me too!
  • Lhenderson923
    Lhenderson923 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yeah... no.
  • FiberousJ
    FiberousJ Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Well I don't know. Jullian Michaels says you have to switch up your cardio because your body is similar to when you get a callus on your hand from lifting weights but then your body gets used to it. She says that happens when you do cardio if you don't switch it up.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    You can believe whatever you want, but this doesn't mean it represents reality.

I believe I am independently wealth..... Crap... still broke.....

Well, an analogy is the more money you make, the more taxes you're supposed to pay. So it gets harder to get wealthier.

The opposite is actually true. People with higher amounts of funds they can use to build greater wealth have an easier time accumulating wealth than those who must dedicate most of their money to meeting basic needs, even if the wealthy are paying taxes. Your initial statement is wrong and the analogy fails because it's also inaccurate.

And the more wealthy you are the more creative you can be in avoiding paying taxes.

This isn't even creative:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2020/12/09/americas-three-richest-people-are-now-positioned-to-pay-zero-state-income-tax/?sh=1b9487757b63

America’s Three Richest People Are Now Positioned To Pay Zero State Income Tax

Billionaires Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates all live in states that don't collect income tax.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options

Well I don't know. Jullian Michaels says you have to switch up your cardio because your body is similar to when you get a callus on your hand from lifting weights but then your body gets used to it. She says that happens when you do cardio if you don't switch it up.

If you want to develop a different dimension of fitness, then switching may be important. If my cardio is (say) running, my legs will only get stronger quickly from doing that for a while, then progress in leg strength won't be as fast if I just keep running the same distances. Maybe then I'd want to switch to some cardio, say cross-country skiing, that works more on upper body plus works lower body in a different way. That's about fitness capabilities, about a regular person wanting to be more well-rounded or keep making fitness progress in slightly different directions.

Calorie burn doesn't work that same way.

Elite athletes do pretty much the same things all the time, with some planned cycling of intensities and some cross-training, but mostly focusing on their sport. Cyclists mostly cycle. Swimmers mostly swim. They do those things for hours on a typical day, and those in endurance sports like that need to eat massive numbers of calories to keep up their workout schedule. They don't eat fewer and fewer calories as time goes by, to sustain the same general workout schedule.