WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2021

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Alfie and I are hanging out...watching Love Boat..
    Homer was here for the day and basically slept most of it... but he and Alfie had a bit of a wrestle.. tomorrow i take Dan to work 11-4 and Sat 9-1
    It gets me out of the house and gives me something to do.
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 929 Member
    edited April 2021
    Question for those who are perimenopausal or postmenopausal. When you had hot flashes, was there something that you recall triggering them? I'm having mild ones, but they are quite annoying and want to try to figure out if there is a trigger to look for.

I know that common ones are caffeine and alcohol, but those don't seem to be mine.

Thanks.

Tina in CA
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,959 Member
    Well I busted my streak. I ate spaghetti when I knew I was out of calories. It was a long day. My parents totally forgot the cardiologist instructions from yesterday because of the minor car accident. So I called and found out my mom had an appointment today to get this 24 hour blood pressure monitor. So we drove to Wilmington to get that.

Then I had my horseback riding lesson. It didn't go well because the horse was extra tired. So we mostly walked.

Then home to make dinner for Dad. It was only leftover spaghetti, and I ate the last of it.

Mom has blood work to get done tomorrow morning, and then this blood pressure monitor needs to be returned. I tried to tell her she should wait on the blood work until the cuff is off, but what do I know? The lab might refuse to draw blood with that cuff on. We shall see. Meanwhile they are treating this all like a minor nuisance instead of a major health incident. Not that worrying makes much difference.

She is back in her spot on the couch. So as long as she takes her pills tonight, all will be as good as possible.

Time for my dumbbell exercise. I will sleep well tonight if I can stop worrying.

Annie in Delaware
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Hmm. My parents had a minor car accident on the way home from the cardiologist. It obscured the directions for my mom to get a 24 hour blood pressure monitor. Her blood pressure was 230 over something. And that was before the accident!

2 weekends ago my husband's BP was about that high and I rushed him to Emergency.

The doctors told me I did the right thing with one exception ... I should have called an ambulance.

If you mother's BP goes that high again, check it 5 minutes later to be sure then get her to a hospital!
  • Machka9
    edited April 2021
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Question for those who are perimenopausal or postmenopausal. When you had hot flashes, was there something that you recall triggering them? I'm having mild ones, but they are quite annoying and want to try to figure out if there is a trigger to look for.

I know that common ones are caffeine and alcohol, but those don't seem to be mine.

Thanks.

Tina in CA

Stress
    Warmish indoor temperatures
    Hot beverages
    Hot food
    Talking to people
    Shopping
    Doing homework
    Working on a challenging bit of code
    Taking the bus

Just to name a few.

If I'm fortunate, I have a day with maybe half a dozen. That's a pretty relaxed day in cool temperatures. But I've also had days where they just keep coming all day and I lose count.

I have found that having a fan right next to me at work and at home helps.
    It also helps to keep the temperature at home somewhere between 17 and 18C (63 or 64F). My husband is bundled up in fleece and I'm in a tank top and shorts.
    Drinking lots of cold water can help a bit.
    I don't seem to have them while exercising so if I go into a series of them at work, it can help if I go climb 10 flights of stairs. I'll be hot when I finish but it seems to stop the waves of nausea, dizziness and pins and needles that accompany hot flashes.

M in Oz
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 929 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

Thanks.

Tina in CA

Stress
    Hot beverages
    Hot food
    Talking to people
    Shopping
    Doing homework
    Taking the bus

Just to name a few.

Soooooo.....everything and anything?
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    Went to the YM for the second time this week. I am really enjoying being back in the pool.They have not resumed classes yet but having taught water exercise for over 40 years I can do my own thing quite easily and get a good workout. Hoping to improve cardiac fitness before echo in July. We shall see. Eating could be better. I do well for several days and then eat too much, not necessarily unhealthy food just too much.

DD is out mowing the yard. It is supposed to rain tomorrow and it looks like a hayfield now.

Our most recent travel nurse tenant moved out last weekend, a week early. She told us the hospital cancelled her contract, so basically she was fired. She left a huge mess in the cabin along with many personal and hospital items. If others are taking home as much as she did it is No wonder hospital bills are high.

Katla - were you taking Apple cider vinegar for reflux at one time? Is that no longer working for you? I think you are wise to consult doctor before using the PPI.

Meg - hope you have a relaxing summer.

Everyone take care Sue in WA
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,287 Member
    Arm hurts like stink, other than that, I'm fine so far after second shot. Fingers crossed it stays that way - a sore arm is a small price to pay.

Thank you to everyone for the experiences for you or your loved ones with Moderna. I'm an information ho - the more I have, the better I feel, whether negative or positive.

Later,
    Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »

Thanks.

Tina in CA

Stress
    Hot beverages
    Hot food
    Talking to people
    Shopping
    Doing homework
    Taking the bus

Just to name a few.

Soooooo.....everything and anything?

Yep!

Especially stress. I tense up slightly for one reason or another and BLAM, I'm hit with a hot flash.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Sue: No vinegar for acid reflux for me. I watch spice levels and take tums for acid reflux. I like vinegar in salad dressing & haven’t had any acid problems. After trying nexium I decided to talk to my doctor about whether it is right for me. I haven’t had a chance to talk it over with her yet or to discuss vinegar.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I have made my own salad dressing in the past. The vinegar I chose was BRAGG Organic Apple Cider Vinegar. I haven’t made the salad dressing in quite a while. You have inspired me.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Worked today so no formal exercise. But I did manage to get in 9,000 steps. The plan for tomorrow is to do an Ultimate Weight Training and Cardio DVD

kylia – I’m sorry you’re having such a hard time

Barbara – I just saw a pic that Denise posted on facebook that PJ has a bubble mower. But this one contains those three wonderful words “no batteries required”. That’s probably why Little Tykes toys get such high marks from parents!

A guy and his wife are coming here this afternoon. Leave it to men to invite someone over for the next day at 8pm the night before. He was on Vince’s bowling team and mine.

Rebecca – good luck to you!

Annie DE – I’m so sorry for your mom.

Tina and Barbara – I think PJ will enjoy the bubble mower more, too. Denise liked the car. But then again, she is very very materialistic so that doesn’t surprise me one bit. But I think PJ will like the feeling that he’s the one who is control, not his parents. Not that they aren’t good people, but he needs to feel confident that he can make decisions. OK, I realize that he’s only 2 and I’m getting deep.

Tina CA – I’ve never found a trigger for my hot flashes. I do find that exercise helps them not to be as intense, tho. I remember there was a time when I couldn’t exercise and at times sweat would pour down my face or my legs. Ever since I’ve been exercising, sweat doesn’t pour down me.

Anne DE – that’s OK that you messed up one day. But just don’t let this be the start of every day messing up. Actually, in a sense it’s good. Confuse the body so it doesn’t know if it’s going to get more or less calories

The guy from bowling came over. Seems I knew his wife! We took the extremepump class together!!! Small world

Michele NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) Beautiful day here so Jake cut the grass and watered the flowers, and I pulled a lot of weeds and spread a lot of bark.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,687 Member
    edited April 2021
    👋🏻 Hi!

Still very busy but keeping caught up with the reading.

I saw a post today that Canada Post is releasing a stamp to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the invention (is that the right word)? of Insulin.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    Gorgeous autumn day ...

gqhaab4wf6el.png
  • Machka9
    Tomorrow is May

For the newcomers here, there will be a new thread which Barbie will start, for May. Stay tuned. :)

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    csofled wrote: »
    Did anyone else have the Moderna second shot, and did you have a flu-like reaction? If so, how long did it last? My first shot left my arm achy and ouchy for nearly three days, but that was about it.
    Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

My first Moderna shot was as yours with a very sore arm for about 3 days. With the second shot my arm started hurting immediately followed by the development later in the day of a low fever. Went to bed feeling like a truck had hit me. I ached from my top most hair on my head to the toenails. Lasted till about 3 am and then just disappeared. Both fever and aches. Then spent next several days feeling fatigued with a low grade headache.

Everyone's experience is different. Wishing you well!

Cheri
    in TX happily vaccinated
    csofled wrote: »
    Did anyone else have the Moderna second shot, and did you have a flu-like reaction? If so, how long did it last? My first shot left my arm achy and ouchy for nearly three days, but that was about it.
    Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

My first Moderna shot was as yours with a very sore arm for about 3 days. With the second shot my arm started hurting immediately followed by the development later in the day of a low fever. Went to bed feeling like a truck had hit me. I ached from my top most hair on my head to the toenails. Lasted till about 3 am and then just disappeared. Both fever and aches. Then spent next several days feeling fatigued with a low grade headache.

Everyone's experience is different. Wishing you well!

Cheri
    in TX happily vaccinated

I had my second maternal shot yesterday. Minor sore shoulder on first shot. Nothing on 2nd shot
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    edited April 2021
    Awake at 4.30. Anxiety getting to me. I need to get out more. Rejoin the world.
    Nothing is really wrong, just a lot of niggles that build up and start to get to me. When I start dwelling on things I just have to get up and read, or write to you.
    I still need to get DH on board with financial disclosure and LPA. I haven't broached it recently.

DH spent a lot of time last night filling in forms so that he can go to the cricket when it opens to members after May 17th. That's the date when the next phase of opening up the country starts - inside dining etc. Each day is a separate form and you have to write who you are going to sit with etc. They are only allowing limited numbers into the ground.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 838 Member
    Tracy, discovery of insulin maybe?

All this talk of acid reflux I have to get my two cents worth in. Hubby had a heart attack several years ago and the meds that he has been on caused him much digestive angst. He was taking Zantac (up to 2 extra strength per day!) He eventually changed one med which helped but was still on Zantac. When it came off the market, he was going thru Tums, Rolaids, Pepto and Gaviscon like crazy. I finally talked to our dr, well, actually his resident (teaching practice) and he suggested Pantoprozol. Hubby is very happy with it. I was having issues with acid reflux, tums was not doing it so hubby suggested I try his meds. Well, I love it! I have since spoken to my dr and have my own prescription for pantoprozol. I don't take it every day, I did at first, now I'm every two to three days. Hubby takes it every 4 or 5 days and sometimes if we're having something rich or a bit spicy, just as a precaution. I've had one episode of reflux since I started taking the stuff and that was because I had let too many days go without taking one. I've been on it for a few months now, and it is a wonder drug!

Michele, I also think PJ would like the bubble mower for the same reason that others have said, it will be something that he can do, rather than just sit in a car that someone else is controlling.

Rebecca, glad you have the colonoscopy "behind" you! (sorry! lol)

Allie, glad you have Alfie back!

I have finally got a date for my first shot, don't know if it will be Moderna or Pfizer, don't really care at this point! I know it won't be Astra Zeneca. Because of the blood clot issue, it's been made available to pharmacies and they can administer to those 40 - 65 by appointment. I just did it thru our government health system. I go May 9, hubby gets his May 2. I was hoping to be able to get it done the same day, but maybe it will be better if we get it on different days, if one of us has a bad reaction it will be nice if the other can take care of the sick one. Hopefully it won't be anything too dramatic.
    I'm sure I had a lot more to say, but it's getting late and tomorrow is a work day. One more year!

Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to any newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island