Ladies lifting weights

Options
SachaLou29
SachaLou29 Posts: 13 Member
Recently gone back to the gym without a PT, decided that I could probably do it on my own, looking for ladies who are weight lifting for some advice ๐Ÿค—

Replies

• Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Have a look at this page: 'HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!' Will bump it for you.
  • SachaLou29
    SachaLou29 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    OK thank you!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    There are also some good lifting programs listed here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

(Maybe you already have a program, but I mention it because some don't, and it's better to use a well-designed program from a professional, rather than just going to the gym and doing stuff. ๐Ÿ˜‰)

That thread is also a good place to get advice on the programs.

There's also a thread where you can share videos of your lifting form & get feedback, when you're ready for that:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10756076/barbell-form-check-e-g-squats-deadlift-benching-presses#latest

In general, the strength training content tends to be in the Gaining Weight and Bodybuilding part of the forum:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/goal-gaining-weight

(Relevant even if you're not trying to gain weight or strictly bodybuild - it's where the most strength training discussion shows up, more than in the Fitness category. The culture there is that most of the guys are pretty supportive of women who lift, and will be helpful and give good advice, too. They're even nice to li'l ol' ladies like me (age 65). ๐Ÿ™‚ So, if you have questions, I'd say don't hesitate to post them there.)

Best wishes for gains!
  • Neil7905
    Neil7905 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't lift, my curves are my own ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    In addition to looking at the stickies with the program, have a plan in place, and don't just try to "wing it." Also, as a newbie, don't try to do too much at once. You will be sore, but shouldn't be so sore that you can't walk. Know what your goals are, and pick or tailor your program to that.

I've been lifting for quite some time, and I've noticed some people seem to take pride in how "sore," they are...but that's not necessarily an indicator of how *well* your program is working.
  • howardv7
    howardv7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just starting lifting weights for the first time in probably 30 years. I'm also in the gym without a trainer...ugggh...so frustrating. I feel my workouts are going well but now none of my clothes fit! I'm getting thicker ๐Ÿ˜ญ
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just starting lifting weights for the first time in probably 30 years. I'm also in the gym without a trainer...ugggh...so frustrating. I feel my workouts are going well but now none of my clothes fit! I'm getting thicker ๐Ÿ˜ญ
    Common when you start. Your muscles atrophy when they aren't used in a strength capacity. So they will "blow" up due to glycogen storage and water retention/repair. It WILL SUBSIDE if you're on a good calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• howardv7
    howardv7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh wow!! Thanks so much!! Yes, that was my next plan, "calorie deficit". I'm not looking forward to it lol.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Oh wow!! Thanks so much!! Yes, that was my next plan, "calorie deficit". I'm not looking forward to it lol.

If you're not so overweight as to cause urgent risk to health, consider losing verrrrryy sloooowwwwly.

If you have strength/muscularity goals, slow loss can also give you better odds of continuing gains, or at least avoid losing strength/muscle tissue. It can be practically painless, besides, especially if you're currently weight stable (or close to it).

I'm down 12-15 pounds over the past year and a bit, and it's been very, very easy . . . stupid easy, really. Time was gonna pass anyway, and I do dislike difficult! Even if you don't want to go *that* slow (it's like a 100-150 calorie daily deficit on average, around half a serving of peanut butter), slow is easier, and makes it easier to frame things as a permanent change in habits.
  • DaffyGirl88
    DaffyGirl88 Posts: 4,540 Member
    Options
    Hello!

One book that helped me a lot when I started lifting weights was "New Rules of Lifting for Women". There was a group for it which is inactive now, but you could still read through the threads and get some good information.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/2553-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women

You could also try the Strong Lifts 5x5 program.

https://runrepeat.com/stronglifts-5x5-workout