Struggling 😕

Replies

• charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    I am wondering what your start weight and height are? It would be easier to respond if we knew. To put this in context, I am 5'11" and for me getting to a UK size 8 would be illusory. I am at my goal weight and am a UK size 14 or 16 (depending on the style/manufacturer).
  • Xtianne87
    Xtianne87 Posts: 28 Member
    I’m going to keep this short and sweet...
    two rules I follow that work every time I start a weight loss diet:
    Breakfast - heavily loaded with fat and protein- meat and eggs ...NO CARBS .. (sometimes I make an exception on the carbs if I go for sausage with the eggs as they have a bit of wheat or some other starch to bind. But not much. And I allow it as occasionally you must include some starchy foods x
    Between 12 and 2 I’m allowed anything except bread or pasta. Any carbs (nuts,rice)
    Then the second rule I live by when I want to shift weight...
    After 4pm:
    No carbs at all! And reduced fat!
    If I want quick results I follow this eating routine and my cardio&strength combined 15 minute session right before bed.
    It works!!! If you can stick to it for 2 weeks and combine it with stretches right before bed.... I guarantee 💯 you will see a difference in ONE WEEK ONLY. Please try this xxxx
  • Xtianne87
    Xtianne87 Posts: 28 Member
    If you do follow this routine or similar... please let us know how it is going xxx
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    I too lose and gain. And I too haven't ever had a LOT of weight to lose. But I also prefer eating whatever and how much ever I want so I always gain back whatever I lose. Not saying it won't happen again but I do think I've finally shifted my mindset and I'll share where I am. Most women need about 2000 calories to maintain. So if you eat 500 calories less, you should lose about a pound a week. If you exercise you can eat more but not much more unless you're REALLY burning a lot of calories. So if you have a big pigout day, you lose a lot of ground or if you go over for days in a row, you really slow down your progress. This time around I've been logging for 113 days and am down 13 pounds. I'm hoping that things continue as they have been until I lose the "last" seven pounds. BUT my plan this time around is to keep eating at that deficit when I'm at goal weight but start to eat back all my exercise calories and/or allow myself bigger meals a few times a week to get me to maintenance calories.
  • amioc
    amioc Posts: 175 Member
    Thank you both for the advice ☺️. The weight I’m at now is my starting weight so do you think maybe it will be a bit easier to get closer to my goal? At the moment I’ve not been exercising and am not eating healthy so I’m really hoping that once I go back to the gym tomorrow and start eating healthy it will give me a fairly good start in my weight loss 🤞. The most I have ever lost was 6lbs so I’d love to get past that weight in a way that is sustainable for me.
    That cutting out 100cals is such a good idea! I never looked at it that way. I could definitely stick to that 😊
  • PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 95 Member
    edited May 2021
    amioc wrote: »
    I have been trying to loose weight now for 3 years. My goal is to go from a uk size 10 to a uk size 8 without having to squeeze into them 😕 so probably need to loose around 12lbs ish maybe a bit less.
    My problem is I don’t stick to anything. I’ll loose like 6lbs and then gain it all back sometimes more. I can’t stick to healthy eating for long. Food is definitely my biggest problem. I joined the gym a year and a half ago and loved it but since COVID hit I haven’t been much at all because of lockdowns. I couldn’t get in to the whole exercise at home. I’m really struggling mentally because I hate to way I look and the past few summers I’ve felt so uncomfortable and I promise myself that next summer I will be at my goal but it never happened 😕. Is there time to get near my goal by June?
    So I’m hoping to get advice and tips as to how anybody started out on there journey? How much did you cut out in the beginning? How do you still manage to maintaining/loosing weight?
    I’d be so grateful to anyone that could help me ☺️. Sorry for such a long post!

"My problem is I don’t stick to anything."

Hi, this for me seems to be the biggest problem. Consistency is the key, along with diet. There is no mention of calories in/out.

I have restarted my journey from years ago. I am in week 3 of exercise and tracking calories. This is what I have done:

- I do cardio on my stationary bike and started off with 1 class. After 3 days, I added another class. I do it daily, religiously. Exercise isn't just for weight loss, it's for the high I get from exercising. It lasts all day.
    - I stick to my calories from MFP and track daily. Personally I do lose eat back my exercise calories, because according to my Peloton, 55 minutes of cardio with 2 classes means I burn 1000 calories (dubious!) but I will not eat that back. But I have a bit of a cushion if I am hungry. But I always end the day with a deficit.
    - on off days, I go for a walk for 30 minutes, brisk.
    - each week I journal about what I realized the week before, and make course corrections.
    - I cut out bulky carb stuff like pasta.
    - Every time I get a hunger pang I ask myself if I am really hungry or if there is something else (stress, emotional eating, trigger, etc).
    - I try to sleep as much as I can every night. Fail more times, but I still try. Up early, too.
    - I do not see exercise as the means to an end. The benefits that HIIT, etc bring outweighs the long term gains which I am sure exist.

I would look at why you cannot stick to healthy eating for long, maybe dig deep.

I am down 4 pounds my first week. I will continue and take things on a week by week basis. At some point I will introduce strength training to mix it up.

Go walking daily. Pack podcasts and listen to music.

Get rid of the goal. If you can't be consistent you will fall back on feeling badly about not meeting it and it will sabotage you :(

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    amioc wrote: »
    Thank you both for the advice ☺️. The weight I’m at now is my starting weight so do you think maybe it will be a bit easier to get closer to my goal? At the moment I’ve not been exercising and am not eating healthy so I’m really hoping that once I go back to the gym tomorrow and start eating healthy it will give me a fairly good start in my weight loss 🤞. The most I have ever lost was 6lbs so I’d love to get past that weight in a way that is sustainable for me.
    That cutting out 100cals is such a good idea! I never looked at it that way. I could definitely stick to that 😊

Exercise isn't essential, but it does increase your daily calorie needs. If you're weight-stable to start, and increase exercise enough, you should start to lose weight. (It takes quite a bit of exercise to amount to a pound a week, or even half a pound a week, all by itself. It also takes multiple weeks for half a pound a week of fat loss to show up on the scale, because most of us find that daily weight fluctuates by multiple pounds day to day because of changes in water retention and digestive system contents in transit on the way to becoming waste.)

Eating "healthy" is pretty much irrelevant, for weight loss, if by that you mean "eating healthy things and not eating bad things". (There really aren't "healthy" and "bad" foods, in any kind of universal sense.) A good overall balanced diet is good for health, though.

For weight loss, what matters is how much you eat ( in calorie term), and getting that a little bit below the number of calories you burn (through daily life and exercise) the overwhelming majority of days. You don't absolutely need to *count* the calories to achieve that, but counting them can be a relatively easy method that works for many people.
  • sedrikp36
    sedrikp36 Posts: 2 Member
    The exercise part struggle... Your lucky.. Coz my struggle is asthma and a torn acl.. I get tired three times faster than an average person. Let this motivate you and not waste your potential... Go go go!
  • amioc
    amioc Posts: 175 Member
    edited May 2021
    Xtianne87 wrote: »
    If you do follow this routine or similar... please let us know how it is going xxx

Yes of course I will ☺️ Xxx