Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Getting Started
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Struggling 😕

amiocamioc Member, Premium Posts: 60 Member Member, Premium Posts: 60 Member

I have been trying to loose weight now for 3 years. My goal is to go from a uk size 10 to a uk size 8 without having to squeeze into them 😕 so probably need to loose around 12lbs ish maybe a bit less.
My problem is I don’t stick to anything. I’ll loose like 6lbs and then gain it all back sometimes more. I can’t stick to healthy eating for long. Food is definitely my biggest problem. I joined the gym a year and a half ago and loved it but since COVID hit I haven’t been much at all because of lockdowns. I couldn’t get in to the whole exercise at home. I’m really struggling mentally because I hate to way I look and the past few summers I’ve felt so uncomfortable and I promise myself that next summer I will be at my goal but it never happened 😕. Is there time to get near my goal by June?
So I’m hoping to get advice and tips as to how anybody started out on there journey? How much did you cut out in the beginning? How do you still manage to maintaining/loosing weight?
I’d be so grateful to anyone that could help me ☺️. Sorry for such a long post!
edited May 1

Replies

• kathyrunsfastkathyrunsfast Member Posts: 4,858 Member Member Posts: 4,858 Member
    It can be easy to fall back into old habits after that initial loss. I refer to the last five pounds to lose as "the fighting weight" because it seems that last five is the one you really need to fight for!

You could make it a bit easier by avoiding flour and sugar. Those two devils cause a lot of food issues because they are easy to overeat.

Sounds like what you were doing works. Get back to it and set a goal on the calendar. Write it in so you commit to it. Hopefully you are still FREE to power walk or do an exercise video on youtube. Popsugar has some great workouts on youtube.

That being said eating well is 80% of the battle! Get back to it and good luck! You can do it!
  • Xtianne87Xtianne87 Member Posts: 28 Member Member Posts: 28 Member
    I’m going to keep this short and sweet...
    two rules I follow that work every time I start a weight loss diet:
    Breakfast - heavily loaded with fat and protein- meat and eggs ...NO CARBS .. (sometimes I make an exception on the carbs if I go for sausage with the eggs as they have a bit of wheat or some other starch to bind. But not much. And I allow it as occasionally you must include some starchy foods x
    Between 12 and 2 I’m allowed anything except bread or pasta. Any carbs (nuts,rice)
    Then the second rule I live by when I want to shift weight...
    After 4pm:
    No carbs at all! And reduced fat!
    If I want quick results I follow this eating routine and my cardio&strength combined 15 minute session right before bed.
    It works!!! If you can stick to it for 2 weeks and combine it with stretches right before bed.... I guarantee 💯 you will see a difference in ONE WEEK ONLY. Please try this xxxx
  • Xtianne87Xtianne87 Member Posts: 28 Member Member Posts: 28 Member
    If you do follow this routine or similar... please let us know how it is going xxx
  • TblackdogsTblackdogs Member Posts: 318 Member Member Posts: 318 Member
    I too lose and gain. And I too haven't ever had a LOT of weight to lose. But I also prefer eating whatever and how much ever I want so I always gain back whatever I lose. Not saying it won't happen again but I do think I've finally shifted my mindset and I'll share where I am. Most women need about 2000 calories to maintain. So if you eat 500 calories less, you should lose about a pound a week. If you exercise you can eat more but not much more unless you're REALLY burning a lot of calories. So if you have a big pigout day, you lose a lot of ground or if you go over for days in a row, you really slow down your progress. This time around I've been logging for 113 days and am down 13 pounds. I'm hoping that things continue as they have been until I lose the "last" seven pounds. BUT my plan this time around is to keep eating at that deficit when I'm at goal weight but start to eat back all my exercise calories and/or allow myself bigger meals a few times a week to get me to maintenance calories.
  • sedrikp36sedrikp36 Member Posts: 2 Member Member Posts: 2 Member
    The exercise part struggle... Your lucky.. Coz my struggle is asthma and a torn acl.. I get tired three times faster than an average person. Let this motivate you and not waste your potential... Go go go!
  • amiocamioc Member, Premium Posts: 60 Member Member, Premium Posts: 60 Member
    Xtianne87 wrote: »
    If you do follow this routine or similar... please let us know how it is going xxx

Yes of course I will ☺️ Xxx
    edited May 4
  • crb426crb426 Member Posts: 563 Member Member Posts: 563 Member
    Okay, if you’ve been trying and failing for three years you need to try something different. Doing the same thing is never going to work.

Here’s my suggestion. Stop dieting, stop trying to “eat healthy” whatever that is, and figure out one small change to your permanent life which will net you 250 more calories per day. That’s maybe half an hour of activity if you pick the right activity, or you can do it with food, if you can identify one food you eat regularly which you want to swap for something else.

Walking half an hour instead of eating an evening bag of chips would work. Taking up running or dancing three times a week for an hour would work. Deciding to eat berries and yogurt instead of ice cream would work, but only if you daily eat ice cream. I get the idea that there isn’t much give in your diet, and trying to cut is making you feel deprived, so that is never going to work in the long run. But adding a modest amount of activity will. If you make it “exercise” you are going to start feeling deprived again and quit. Don’t exercise, instead pick a hobby or activity which you enjoy.

If you net 250 fewer calories per day you will gradually drift down in weight. It may not be fast enough to get you into the size you want this summer. But it will work and it will last.

This is good advice. But I think it should be noted that this method will work best if also keeping track of calories. That way, you're not swapping out but ignoring the other calories for the day (and somehow eating back those swaps).
  • crb426crb426 Member Posts: 563 Member Member Posts: 563 Member
    Sorry I think I misread the end bit asking me to let her know how it’s going 😕. I thought she meant her way and any of the suggestions that were posted above if you get what I mean? I most definitely will not be cutting out carbs. Also I will eat what I want as long as I keep within my calories, well that’s the idea anyway I have an awful job sticking within my calories 🙈!!!

That makes sense. No worries.

We've all been where you are. We have struggled with trying to figure out how to do this the right way for success. And that can be really hard for some people who have never eaten in a healthy manner before. Don't be discouraged. Follow the guidelines given to you, and read through the posts (pay attention to good advice vs bad advice). You will have success. :)
  • cvdub16cvdub16 Member Posts: 62 Member Member Posts: 62 Member
    I am right there with you! I have been trying to loose weight for awhile and it just doesn't work I always loose focus. I know I am not much help but I feel ya!
  • meeppeepneepmeeppeepneep Member Posts: 54 Member Member Posts: 54 Member
    The only things I don't have in my house is things I can't have in moderations. So crisps and breakfast cereal. For most other things I can have a portion of it and be happy.

My way to avoid snacking on sweet stuff throughout the day, and eating reasonably healthy, is to have the good (and expensive) icecream at home, and if I have calories left at the end of the day I get to have icecream. And that is better than a sad chocolate bar that I eat just because it's there.
    edited May 7
  • PAV8888PAV8888 Member Posts: 7,948 Member Member Posts: 7,948 Member
    Endocrinologists are rumoured to know something about hormones.

Examine.com is often a good source (they don't sell supplements and, just as with MFP, I have yet to pay for extras when checking out things there)

I find https://www.naturopathicdiaries.com/ to offer an interesting perspective on most naturopaths

😱😹
  • PAV8888PAV8888 Member Posts: 7,948 Member Member Posts: 7,948 Member
    amioc wrote: »
    Funny you should mention about the carbs because that’s what I’m constantly craving!!! How do I find out if it’s because of something? 💕

You constantly crave: plain oats? Quinoa? Plain boiled unseasoned potatoes? Apples? Buckwheat? By themselves? Without extras? Plain pasta? No sauce. No seasoning. No butter. No oil. Plain carbs!? Do you often knaw on sugar cubes?

Do you crave tasty food you enjoy and over eat... or carbs?

(The above doesn't mean that I think all carbs are worth their calories; but it is meant to challenge your belief of what's at fault when you crave tasty, high calorie food combinations. And if you're a diabetic or pre diabetic, don't play with where you get treatment advice and yes the amount and timing of carbs you eat would matter beyond the level of preferences in that case)
    edited May 7
  • amiocamioc Member, Premium Posts: 60 Member Member, Premium Posts: 60 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    amioc wrote: »
    Funny you should mention about the carbs because that’s what I’m constantly craving!!! How do I find out if it’s because of something? 💕

You constantly crave: plain oats? Quinoa? Plain boiled unseasoned potatoes? Apples? Buckwheat? By themselves? Without extras? Plain pasta? No sauce. No seasoning. No butter. No oil. Plain carbs!? Do you often knaw on sugar cubes?

Do you crave tasty food you enjoy and over eat... or carbs?

(The above doesn't mean that I think all carbs are worth their calories; but it is meant to challenge your belief of what's at fault when you crave tasty, high calorie food combinations. And if you're a diabetic or pre diabetic, don't play with where you get treatment advice and yes the amount and timing of carbs you eat would matter beyond the level of preferences in that case)

I crave carbs like white bread, potato omelette, jacket potatoes, pasta, rice and crisps.
    I find that I want a lot of extra salt on meals.
    I haven’t been craving a lot of sweet things just chocolate around my time of of month 😕