Who's HARDCORE - week 2

Options
13»

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    OK so I'll post a routine, I know a lot of you guys are still doing HotMom's so I'll just put it up there and you guys can do with it what you will.

1) Warmed up 4 minutes on the tread mill at medium pace
    1a) light stretch, make sure nothing it tight

2) bumped Tread mill up to about 85% of your maximum for 2 minutes, rest for 1 minute at a slow walk
    (I.E. if you can just barley keep up at 8 for about 10 seconds, then do 2 minutes at 7)

3) went on the eliptical for 4 minutes at 90% maximum, medium resistance, rest for 1 minute

4) tread mill at 80% for 3 minutes, rest for 1 minute

5) stair climber for 4 minutes at a hard pace, rest for 1 minute

6) tread mill at 75% for 3 minutes, rest for 1 minute

7) Bike for 4 minutes at 80%, rest 1 minute

8) tread mill for 3 minutes at 80% of max.

9) collapse on the ground heaving for 1 minute, then get up and breath

10) crawl over to the matts and do 1 minute of side planks on each side rest 30 seconds

11) 1 minute of ether hanging knee raises or bicycle crunches

go shower, you stink!

I don't have a stairclimber-what can I do instead? I'm doing this tomorrow...:wink:

Walking lunges or power step-ups if you have a step to propel yourself off of.
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    i'm still in! i plan on doing hotmom's tomorrow. i don't have anything to contribute, except bellydance drills... which i don't think anyone else wants to do... or do they?

maybe not a whole routine, but if you have something that we can throw into something else that is very hard on the muscle group they target, it might be worth it. I think so anyway. I ain't too proud to look stupid in the gym. :tongue: (male bellydancers probably don't inspire people very much).

without getting too much into the politics of bellydance, i'll just say they are male bellydancers out there who inspire me. 2 words: jim boz (purrrrrrrrr):blushing:

since banks and sbs are interested, i'll put something together for the routine after banks'. then maybe you can tweak to your liking...

We don't have to do it to Gypsy music do we?:laugh: :laugh: Bring it on-it's sounds like a great alternative!

of course you do!:laugh: well, maybe not gypsy music, but some kind of music would be good. i noticed that i'm writing everything in 8 counts... i hope it will be strenuous enough for you guys. you're all in such bad *kitten* shape, its intimidating!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Ha! em, it's a matter of perspective, there's a girl in my gym that chuckles at my workouts while she's doing hers.

Anyway, throw up the routine, and we'll try it out. And remember, there's only one way to get to "bad *kitten* shape" and we've all had to do it.

Oh man my wife is gonna laugh her *kitten* off when she see's me. I'm not (how do you say?) an elegant dancer. :embarassed:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    i'm still in! i plan on doing hotmom's tomorrow. i don't have anything to contribute, except bellydance drills... which i don't think anyone else wants to do... or do they?

maybe not a whole routine, but if you have something that we can throw into something else that is very hard on the muscle group they target, it might be worth it. I think so anyway. I ain't too proud to look stupid in the gym. :tongue: (male bellydancers probably don't inspire people very much).

without getting too much into the politics of bellydance, i'll just say they are male bellydancers out there who inspire me. 2 words: jim boz (purrrrrrrrr):blushing:

since banks and sbs are interested, i'll put something together for the routine after banks'. then maybe you can tweak to your liking...

We don't have to do it to Gypsy music do we?:laugh: :laugh: Bring it on-it's sounds like a great alternative!

of course you do!:laugh: well, maybe not gypsy music, but some kind of music would be good. i noticed that i'm writing everything in 8 counts... i hope it will be strenuous enough for you guys. you're all in such bad *kitten* shape, its intimidating!

Bellydancing works the abdominals in a way that most people aren't used to. I can do tons of sit ups, but when I started to use planks, which are less movement but much more stabilization, they were really difficult. I find that side-to-side movement while standing (like bobbing/weaving) leaves me really sore in the obliques the next day. If there are movements that include stretching/extending far, definitely include those too.
  • emtink
    Options
    Ha! em, it's a matter of perspective, there's a girl in my gym that chuckles at my workouts while she's doing hers.

Anyway, throw up the routine, and we'll try it out. And remember, there's only one way to get to "bad *kitten* shape" and we've all had to do it.

Oh man my wife is gonna laugh her *kitten* off when she see's me. I'm not (how do you say?) an elegant dancer. :embarassed:

wish i could see you do choo choo shimmies... do you have a webcam?:devil:
  • emtink
    Options
    Bellydancing works the abdominals in a way that most people aren't used to. I can do tons of sit ups, but when I started to use planks, which are less movement but much more stabilization, they were really difficult. I find that side-to-side movement while standing (like bobbing/weaving) leaves me really sore in the obliques the next day. If there are movements that include stretching/extending far, definitely include those too.

a lot of these movements are hard to describe in writing but i will do my best... i may throw in some youtube links for the folks who are totally unfamiliar with the technique.

i'll try to have something posted tomorrow.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

wish i could see you do choo choo shimmies... do you have a webcam?:devil:

sure it's the lump with the shirt thrown over it. I'm not THAT dumb. :tongue:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

a lot of these movements are hard to describe in writing but i will do my best... i may throw in some youtube links for the folks who are totally unfamiliar with the technique.

i'll try to have something posted tomorrow.

please do.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Okay, workout #2 is done. :yawn:

What a day! All my classes were canceled so I got to spend time outside, get two great workouts, and even take a little catnap. I am lovin life. :smooched:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

What a day! All my classes were canceled so I got to spend time outside, get two great workouts, and even take a little catnap. I am lovin life. :smooched:

Jealous. I got 40 minutes of workout in. Had to scramble for food. And got grilled by my boss for updates on like 6 different projects. Ugh!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Jealous. I got 40 minutes of workout in. Had to scramble for food. And got grilled by my boss for updates on like 6 different projects. Ugh!

Well if it makes you feel any better, last night mall security called 5 minutes before closing to tell us we're getting written up for leaving boxes in a hallway that doesn't lead anywhere because it's a 'fire hazard'. So we had to break them all down and cram them into the backroom. And the manager who worked before me was supposed to do it but somehow didn't manage it in 9 hours. :mad:
  • emtink
    Options
    did a wimpy version of hot mom's tonight, and it was awesome! the wall sits with one leg, i didn't think i could do them... but i did...

since i wussed out a little, i'm going to do banks' on sunday. and i should be posting the bellydance routine tomorrow (i tried it tonight, then did hotmom's and decided to make it a little tougher).

off to prep for tomorrow's gig... nighty night...
  • emtink
    Options
    Bellydance drills

****Technique****
    Maintain basic posture at all times: spine straight and long, shoulders back, chin lifted slightly, knees soft, pelvis tucked (ie lower back pointing to the floor).

Arm positions
    2nd – arms straight out at sides, like you’re making the letter T, shoulders down and back, palms facing the floor, elbows soft and facing the back wall
    4th – arms straight up in the air, reaching the for sky, palms face each other, shoulders down and back
    Ballet 2nd – arms rounded in front like you’re holding a giant beach ball, hands in line with armpits and facing in, shoulders down and back,

Snake arm drills
    Movement break down:
    start with arm in 2nd
    lift the shoulder, then elbow, then wrist while raising arm to a high v
    drop the shoulder, then elbow, then wrist while lowering the arm to a low v
    smooth out the movement so it becomes fluid and snaky
    note: this is a controlled movement, so you should be aware of your shoulder, arms and hand muscles contracting and releasing
    try with the other arm
    when you have the movement down on each side, try moving both arms at the same time in opposition (as one arm goes up, the other arm comes down)
    if you own wrist weights (or a lot of heavy bracelets) wear them!

Choo Choo shimmy
    Keeping good dance posture, stand with feet about hip-width apart, on toes. Alternate tapping the floor with each foot (like taking tiny steps in place), and get up to a fast speed (3-4 steps per second). You should be transferring weight with each step so you can travel around while shimmying. You should be lifting the heels as far off the floor as possible (think stripper shoes) while maintaining control and balance. Hips are loose, and that’s where the shimmy part comes in!

Hip Slides
    In this movement, both knees are always bent, and the hips remain parallel to the floor at all times!
    Slide your right hip out to the right as far as it will go. Now slide your left hip out to the left. Slide back and forth a few times, upper body is still.

Hip Twists
    In this movement, both knees are always bent, and the hips remain parallel to the floor at all times!
    Twist your right hip forward as far as it will go. Now twist your left hip forward as far as it will go, shoulders and upper body remain still.

Horizontal figure 8’s
    In this movement, both knees are always bent, and the hips remain parallel to the floor at all times! In dance posture, twist the right hip forward and slide it out to the front-right corner. Now twist back so its at the back right corner. Staying twisted, slide the left hip through center to the front-left corner. Now twist back to the back left corner. Now slide through center to the front right corner and repeat. Imagine you are in a barrel, and you are trying to wipe the sides of the barrel with your hips, emphasis being on the backward motion of the hips. You can also reverse the motion, starting with the hip at the back and twisting forward.

Hip Lifts
    Using only your core muscles, lift your right hip straight up and under the rib cage. Now try your left. Go back forth, try not to push your hip up with your leg. If you feel like you’re pushing off the floor, stand on one leg and try lifting the opposite hip. Notice that as one hip is lifted, the other hip goes down.

Vertical figure 8’s on the down (aka Maya’s)
    In this movement, both knees are always bent and pelvis should remain in a neutral position. To start the movement, slide your hip out to the right as far as it will go. Then, drop the hip down by lifting the left hip. As you drop the hip, slide back to center. Now you should have your left hip lifted. Slide the left hip out to left and drop it down. Now slide the right hip out and drop it down. Emphasis is on the downward motion.

****Routine****
    Put on some moderately paced music with a consistent beat (no speed metal, no wuss rock). Warm up and work out the kinks.

Snake arm drill-8 counts of 8 (half speed, taking 8 counts to complete a full sequence)
    Snake arm drill-8 counts of 8 (full speed, taking 4 counts to complete a full sequence)

Plie squat arms in Ballet 2nd , 4 counts of 8
    Right foot on toes, 4 counts of 8
    Left foot on toes, 4 counts of 8

Repeat snake arm drill

Both feet flat bend forward at waist with flat back, arms in 2nd, 4 counts of 8

Repeat snake arm drill

Walking lunges with arms in 2nd, 8 counts of 8 (taking 4 counts to go down and come up)

Choo choo shimmy –8counts of 8, alternating arm positions, or if you want your brain to explode, do really slow snake arms with it!

Walking lunges with arms in 2nd, 8 counts of 8

Choo choo shimmy – 8 counts of 8, twisting the hips and feet while keeping the shoulders still, 2 twists per 8 count

Half Time drills
    Hip slides - 4 counts of 8 (taking 2 counts move from side to side)

Hip twists – 4 counts of 8 (taking 2 counts move from side to side)

Horizontal 8’s to the back – 4 counts of 8 (taking 2 counts on each side)

Horizontal 8’s to the front – 4 counts of 8 (taking 2 counts on each side)

Hip slides – 2 counts of 8 (taking 2 counts move from side to side)

Hip lifts on right side – 4 counts of 8 (take 2 counts to lift and return to neutral)
    Hip lifts on left side – 4 counts of 8 (take 2 counts to lift and return to neutral)

Maya’s – 4 counts of 8 (taking 2 counts move from side to side)

Full Time drills
    Repeat above at double speed, movements will become smaller.

using the above movements, improve for a couple of 8 counts, just for fun
  • emtink
    Options
    Other fun stuff to try

Belly rolls
    Sit cross legged, hands on knees, try contracting and releasing your upper abs, middle and lower abs in sequence (aka downward bellyroll), back stays straight. Try the reverse, start with lower abs, middle, then upper abs.

Turkish drop
    Kneeling on the floor, slowly lower yourself back as far as you can while keeping your back straight. The goal is to end up with your back on the floor, and your legs bent by your sides. The goal is also to be able to get back up, without the use of your arms or hands! Please note this requires a certain amount of flexibility too so go sloooooow. For drilling, go back to a point that is strenuous, and then hold for as long as you can. Come back up and do it again. If you’re really bold, try it while balancing a sword on your head!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Bellydance drills

****Technique****
    Maintain basic posture at all times: spine straight and long, shoulders back, chin lifted slightly, knees soft, pelvis tucked (ie lower back pointing to the floor).

Arm positions
    2nd – arms straight out at sides, like you’re making the letter T, shoulders down and back, palms facing the floor, elbows soft and facing the back wall
    4th – arms straight up in the air, reaching the for sky, palms face each other, shoulders down and back
    Ballet 2nd – arms rounded in front like you’re holding a giant beach ball, hands in line with armpits and facing in, shoulders down and back,

Snake arm drills
    Movement break down:
    start with arm in 2nd
    lift the shoulder, then elbow, then wrist while raising arm to a high v
    drop the shoulder, then elbow, then wrist while lowering the arm to a low v
    smooth out the movement so it becomes fluid and snaky
    note: this is a controlled movement, so you should be aware of your shoulder, arms and hand muscles contracting and releasing
    try with the other arm
    when you have the movement down on each side, try moving both arms at the same time in opposition (as one arm goes up, the other arm comes down)
    if you own wrist weights (or a lot of heavy bracelets) wear them!

Choo Choo shimmy
    Keeping good dance posture, stand with feet about hip-width apart, on toes. Alternate tapping the floor with each foot (like taking tiny steps in place), and get up to a fast speed (3-4 steps per second). You should be transferring weight with each step so you can travel around while shimmying. You should be lifting the heels as far off the floor as possible (think stripper shoes) while maintaining control and balance. Hips are loose, and that’s where the shimmy part comes in!

Hip Slides
    Slide your right hip out to the right as far as it will go. Now slide your left hip out to the left. Slide back and forth a few times, upper body is still.

Hip Twists
    Twist your right hip forward as far as it will go. Now twist your left hip forward as far as it will go, shoulders and upper body remain still.

Horizontal figure 8’s
    In this movement, both knees are always bent, and the hips remain parallel to the floor at all times! In dance posture, twist the right hip forward and slide it out to the front-right corner. Now twist back so its at the back right corner. Staying twisted, slide the left hip through center to the front-left corner. Now twist back to the back left corner. Now slide through center to the front right corner and repeat. Imagine you are in a barrel, and you are trying to wipe the sides of the barrel with your hips, emphasis being on the backward motion of the hips. You can also reverse the motion, starting with the hip at the back and twisting forward.

Hip Lifts
    Using only your core muscles, lift your right hip straight up and under the rib cage. Now try your left. Go back forth, try not to push your hip up with your leg. If you feel like you’re pushing off the floor, stand on one leg and try lifting the opposite hip. Notice that as one hip is lifted, the other hip goes down.

Vertical figure 8’s on the down (aka Maya’s)
    In this movement, both knees are always bent and pelvis should remain in a neutral position. To start the movement, slide your hip out to the right as far as it will go. Then, drop the hip down by lifting the left hip. As you drop the hip, slide back to center. Now you should have your left hip lifted. Slide the left hip out to left and drop it down. Now slide the right hip out and drop it down. Emphasis is on the downward motion.

****Routine****
    Put on some moderately paced music with a consistent beat (no speed metal, no wuss rock). Warm up and work out the kinks.

Snake arm drill-8 counts of 8 (half speed, taking 8 counts to complete a full sequence)
    Snake arm drill-8 counts of 8 (full speed, taking 4 counts to complete a full sequence)

Plie squat arms in Ballet 2nd , 4 counts of 8

Repeat snake arm drill

Both feet flat bend forward at waist with flat back, arms in 2nd, 4 counts of 8

Repeat snake arm drill

Walking lunges with arms in 2nd, 8 counts of 8 (taking 4 counts to go down and come up)

Choo choo shimmy –8counts of 8, alternating arm positions, or if you want your brain to explode, do really slow snake arms with it!

Walking lunges with arms in 2nd, 8 counts of 8

Choo choo shimmy – 8 counts of 8, twisting the hips and feet while keeping the shoulders still, 2 twists per 8 count

Half Time drills
    Hip slides - 4 counts of 8 (taking 2 counts move from side to side)

Hip twists – 4 counts of 8 (taking 2 counts move from side to side)

Horizontal 8’s to the back – 4 counts of 8 (taking 2 counts on each side)

Horizontal 8’s to the front – 4 counts of 8 (taking 2 counts on each side)

Hip slides – 2 counts of 8 (taking 2 counts move from side to side)

Hip lifts on right side – 4 counts of 8 (take 2 counts to lift and return to neutral)
    Hip lifts on left side – 4 counts of 8 (take 2 counts to lift and return to neutral)

Maya’s – 4 counts of 8 (taking 2 counts move from side to side)

Full Time drills
    Repeat above at double speed, movements will become smaller.

using the above movements, improve for a couple of 8 counts, just for fun

No offense, but WTF? I can do a bit of hip hop and shake my booty-you're speaking to a retard here... email me the video darlin'! It sounds interesting, but I keep thinking of Hawaiian dancers, and I know that's not right. no wonder you belly dancers are in such good shape, I couldn't even hula hoop in Wii Fit!:laugh: :grumble:
  • emtink
    Options
    i can't get youtube at work, so i can't find links right now. i might have time to search for some tomorrow... or you could try searching youtube yourself. a lot of these terms are very standard (except for the arm positions, which you can totally ignore when doing the routine). i will try to post stuff as soon as i can. sorry for the confusion...
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :glasses: