What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Kale is absolutely disgusting.

I like it raw, mixed with other greens in a salad. Cooked, not so much.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Me, too Suzy. But I can’t even chop it for a salad. I have to buy the bagged salad mix because I want it chopped really, really fine.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    I love canned peas
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    I love this thread!

Rice pudding is vile! Any dessert that calls up rice and bread is disgusting - I'm looking at your bread and butter pudding. Spinach and pumpkin are the work of the devil. Wholemeal pasta should be banned. Eggs are overrated.

White rice, white bread, potatoes and pasta from normal, non-wholemeal flour are gifts from God
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Instant mashed potatoes are actually really good.

right?! I hate when people are like "omg no you have to use ReAl potatoes"
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Instant mashed potatoes are actually really good.

right?! I hate when people are like "omg no you have to use ReAl potatoes"

We grew up on instant mashed potatoes: our mother worked fulltime, and they were a real time saver for her. While I do like mashed potato made from whole potatoes better, I have no complaint about instant.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I never had them until I was an adult and they taste weird to me, but of course it makes sense it's what you are used to. My mom also worked fulltime, but mashed potatoes have always been something of a holiday/for company kind of dish for us. I love them, but make them rarely, even though they don't actually seem very time consuming.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Regarding the 'fake' potatoes - I don't think I've ever had them. Perhaps at a crappy little diner during a road trip? How different are they to the real thing?
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Regarding the 'fake' potatoes - I don't think I've ever had them. Perhaps at a crappy little diner during a road trip? How different are they to the real thing?

They’re not “fake” potatoes. They are made of real potatoes, just dried, not fresh.

I don’t eat them on their own as a side, but I like certain stews and curries spooned over mashed potatoes, and they work very well for that.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

They’re not “fake” potatoes. They are made of real potatoes, just dried, not fresh.

I don’t eat them on their own as a side, but I like certain stews and curries spooned over mashed potatoes, and they work very well for that.

Ha! That's why I put the word in quotations😉
    I could see using them as a thickener in stews -
    Curious if they use them at places like Denny's/Perkins, etc., ?
  • pancakerunner
    regarding instant potatoes... these are good too. find them in the deli or refreigerated section
    eta6h08shoph.png
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    regarding instant potatoes... these are good too. find them in the deli or refreigerated section
    eta6h08shoph.png

When I had a wisdom tooth removed, I lived off of those Bob Evans mashed potatoes (and ice cream lol) and they are pretty good!
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited May 2021
    I won’t eat instant mashed potatoes - I think they are gross and mashed potatoes are so quick and simple to make anyway it doesn’t even seem worth it. But I do like those cheesy boxes of dehydrated scalloped potatoes. Grew up eating them and although they are probably gross too to most people they seem like nostalgic comfort food to me.
  • pancakerunner
    Going to get a lot of flak for this, but I think apples and grapes are more unhealthy than they are healthy
  • PAPYRUS3
    Going to get a lot of flak for this, but I think apples and grapes are more unhealthy than they are healthy

I'm sure there are better options regarding fruit 'health' wise - am curious what makes you think apples and grapes are 'unhealthy'?

I rarely even eat fruit - just not my thing. I actually prefer vegetables for sure😉
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member

I think it depends but over all for me grapes are ok if it's maybe 4 or 5. Apples I think are ok if they don't upset your stomach. It is really relative though for each person and where they are. I used to eat a ton of apples when I was much younger and a marathon runner but now I feel sick if I eat a whole apple.

I think that any meat consumed by average American is more detrimental and unhealthy because we are not the same as our ancestors plus the animals are much differently raised
    . Don't get me started on factory farms...
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    On that note...

I really dislike crunchy raw apples. I don't hate them, but would never have them unless there was absolutely nothing else to eat. I only like them cooked.