Damn you, weather! Damn you Garmin

yirara
yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
Cursing badly at the moment. It's storming, and horizontal rain, and hail. And basically just being horrid weather. I found out that I apparently like the challenges Garmin gives me. Thanks to weather I missed out on the 300k steps in a month challenges three times already despite very long hikes. This coming weekend there's a 40k cycling challenge and a walking challenge. And the weather likely won't improve. Then the weekend after running 10k. I'm not quite there yet at the moment, but could get there, given good weather. Besides, I just upgraded my train ticket to include cheaper weekday offpeak rides, and the weather is so *kitten* that I won't be going anywhere.

Not looking for advice, only venting. Unless you're able to fix the weather for me :D I might do some yoga or strength session tonight, and take it from there.

Replies

• skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Pants!
    Rant away!
    It's *kitten* here too, but I've got so many bits and pieces to drop around the villages I'm gonna have to brave it anyway.
  • yirara
    Aww, poor you!
    I just went out because I had to. Just 1.6km walking to a shop, the post office and back. Basically, I got totally soaked and a big piece of tree blown against my legs. Mind you, now that I'm back inside the sun came out. Likely for just a few minutes though.

On the other hand, the weather has been so cold and poor for most of the year that my annual pollen allergy was nearly absent, and the bane of this region, oak processionary caterpillars might only make a moderate appearance as well.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    @yiara : I have diversified to swim, ride, and run. Also, SUP, kayak, hike, rollerblade. I'll toss a few weights now and again, but I've gotten really bored of it.

I don't mind running or hiking in a little rain, but there are limits! I never intentionally cycle in the rain.

I have an indoor bike option at home and the pool is open when it's raining (closes with lightening, oddly, although it's covered).

My corporate gym just opened, but the spring season is upon us and I may not go until fall!

Sooooooo, it's up to all us exercisers to find some reliable way to exercise on rainy days.
  • yirara
    Oh yeah, @Jthanmyfitnesspal I did the recommended routine on Reddit today. I certainly don't have space for any sports equipment other than a floormat, and pools are closed but there are things I can do with *kitten* weather. Like bodyweight exercises. Or just sitting behind the computer and enjoying life. Just tried to get my 10k steps in, and got thoroughly soaked. Meh, I should not have.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Sounds like those challenges are motivating you. 🙂
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Come visit Northern California! :D it’s been in the 90’s (Fahrenheit) for the past week and no end in sight. It is DRY DRY DRY so it’s basically fire season all year round at this point :( some rain, ANY rain here would be extremely welcome!!! :#
  • yirara
    Sounds like those challenges are motivating you. 🙂

Yes, mildly. They just add the tiny push on those days where I'm undecided between lazy and doing something. Weather is still *kitten* though. Woke up to sunshine, half an hour later it's pouring down again. There's a tiny shower of horizontal rain literally every 30 minutes. Meh!
  • yirara
    Weather continues being *kitten*. I went out for a little 7.5km walk to work on a treasure hunt thingy with about 25km walking I started a while ago. One more leg of 7.5km or so and I'm done. Oh yes, I did get soaked every few minutes.
  • yirara
    Talking about Garmin challenges... :D
    hozx1xorwaei.png
  • yirara
    Plan for today to Sunday evening: get measly 5km walking in and a 40km bike ride. I'd hoped to cycle today as the weather is half good. But my planned trip is too far away and I can only use the train with bike for a window that's likely too small for my planned 70km ride. Not good. So I'll walk, and finish a 'treasure hunt' around town today, and hope to find a place to cycle with good weather tomorrow. If possible as it'll be very stormy.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Not just me then? 😅

I signed up for the weekend walking one, which is this weekend. Even persuaded my sisters to join me. Then the forecast changed. It's supposed to be raining, 8C, and gusts. I'm still going to do it, but I won't blame my sisters if they bail. Maybe the tree cover and banks of the ravine will keep the worst of the weather off? 🤞
  • yirara
    Not just me then? 😅

I signed up for the weekend walking one, which is this weekend. Even persuaded my sisters to join me. Then the forecast changed. It's supposed to be raining, 8C, and gusts. I'm still going to do it, but I won't blame my sisters if they bail. Maybe the tree cover and banks of the ravine will keep the worst of the weather off? 🤞

😅😅 It's oddly motivating, isn't it?
    I did the walking one today and might go for a run a bit later on. I've also nearly finished the May Walking one (900m missing) and spent two hours planning a cycle route for tomorrow. Not sure yet whether it'll work as I'll have to do a brief cut through the neighbouring country, which isn't quite allowed at the moment. The difficulty was to find something that I can do from south to north, with the expected strong wind in the back. We'll see...
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    Yes! I just discovered the challenges a few months ago. My joints don't allow running or yoga and my bike is stationary so it's only the walking ones for me. Figured I'd do a few of the weekend 5 k ones before branching out to anything more ambitious. That's a distance I know won't be a problem and I have an assortment of lovely river valley trails to choose from 🙂
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    hozx1xorwaei.png

I can't believe they don't include hiking in these
  • yirara
    yirara wrote: »
    hozx1xorwaei.png

I can't believe they don't include hiking in these

I know! It’s beyond stupid they use walks for everything, not hikes. Mind you, I made a custom workout for dancing 😊
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    Which model Garmin are you using @yirara? I didn't know you could make custom workouts. I use several of Garmin's workouts and I really like them.

It is indeed raining. One sister is still enthusiastically on board 🎉 so I'm gonna have company and be able to catch up. We've had an on again off again half-hearted mockdown with restrictions that make no sense and keep changing so we haven't seen each other in over a year. Haven't heard from our other sister yet.
  • yirara
    So I did my 40km cycle ride. Or rather 39.8km, as the chain fell off a few meters from the end and I fell sideways into a huge puddle. I was already rather wet from the rain, but at that point I was soaking wet, bruised, and bleeding. And then I still had to sit 2 hours in a not very warm train. Sigh. I did walk the remaining 200m and decided I passed the challenge.
    Which model Garmin are you using @yirara? I didn't know you could make custom workouts. I use several of Garmin's workouts and I really like them.

It is indeed raining. One sister is still enthusiastically on board 🎉 so I'm gonna have company and be able to catch up. We've had an on again off again half-hearted mockdown with restrictions that make no sense and keep changing so we haven't seen each other in over a year. Haven't heard from our other sister yet.

I have a fenix 6. what I can do is make a copy of the 'other' exercise type, and then I edited the datafields to something that makes sense for the type of dancing I do, and switched off GPS. I think I can upload running and cyling custom workouts somehow and then execute them. But I've never done that before.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    u3osne1sditk.png

It was raining and blowing and just a few degrees above freezing, but both my sisters made it and it was so worth it!
  • yirara
    Congratulations!

My next challenge is to run 10k from Friday to Sunday. I'm not sure about it as the weather still looks rubbish, and I'm working on Sunday. Thus only two days left to chose from. I'm also not quite able to run 10k at the moment. Lets see what happens.
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    I'm about halfway through my 10k running training plan on Garmin and signed up for the 10k challenge this weekend. I have a 5mi run scheduled for Sunday, but I may attempt adding the extra ~1mi, and complete it.

Switching from Fitbit, I definitely enjoy these challenges a lot more! Instead of having challenges with friends getting tens of thousands steps above/below you, they put you in challenges with an average step goal to achieve. I think it's nice! I also love that my Garmin gives a more realistic calorie burn than my fitbit did(sometimes thousands of calories more than actually burned). I'm so happy I made the switch! I just wish they would have hiking as an activity, but I'll just keep using "Walk" for now!