Damn you, weather! Damn you Garmin

Replies

• bubus05
    bubus05 Posts: 121 Member
    edited May 2021
    Hehe..I live in Ireland. As you know we have absolutely fantastic weather. it is May and it's already 11 celsius or 51 F, I am delighted...LOL. And it looks we will have rain in the foreseeable future as well. The good thing about running or cycling in the rain it reminds you you're alive...also fresh.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    I'm about halfway through my 10k running training plan on Garmin and signed up for the 10k challenge this weekend. I have a 5mi run scheduled for Sunday, but I may attempt adding the extra ~1mi, and complete it.

Switching from Fitbit, I definitely enjoy these challenges a lot more! Instead of having challenges with friends getting tens of thousands steps above/below you, they put you in challenges with an average step goal to achieve. I think it's nice! I also love that my Garmin gives a more realistic calorie burn than my fitbit did(sometimes thousands of calories more than actually burned). I'm so happy I made the switch! I just wish they would have hiking as an activity, but I'll just keep using "Walk" for now!

Oh yes, the Garmin challenges are really nice. And for me the calorie burns are also lower and somewhat more realistic. For an 16k walk in flat terrain I don't get 1700 calories anymore but 'only' 1100. It's an improvement :D
    I also agree on the hiking. It's available in my watch, but if I use it then this doesn't count towards challenges I think. Hmm.. I wonder... if I make a copy of the walking option and call it hiking: maybe it still counts, though I doubt it.
  • yirara
    Well, I just changed working hours from Thursday to Friday. And now I NEED to run the 10k on Saturday if I want to get the silly badge :D
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Mine doesn't have hiking either, so I've been using the walk outdoors setting and letting the heart rate monitor and altimeter do their thing. The calorie burns have been quite accurate for me overall, hiking included. Looks like I can create custom workouts in mine too. I don't know if I will since I love the built in ones and am not sure I have the skill to really design my own, but I think it's kind of cool that I'm still discovering new features after having this watch for years.

Cheering you on for Saturday lol.
  • yirara
    Well, that was interesting. I ran 8km just now, which was the longest run since December. I can't say I feel great, but I'm half confident that I'll manage the 10km somehow, maybe with a short walk at 5km or so.
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Well, that was interesting. I ran 8km just now, which was the longest run since December. I can't say I feel great, but I'm half confident that I'll manage the 10km somehow, maybe with a short walk at 5km or so.

That is great! I think as long as you complete the 10k, it doesn't matter if you have to walk some of it! I haven't had to switch to walking for more than a few weeks now, but I have continued to tell myself if a run gets too hard, take a break and walk. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, no matter what distance someone runs.
  • yirara

That is great! I think as long as you complete the 10k, it doesn't matter if you have to walk some of it! I haven't had to switch to walking for more than a few weeks now, but I have continued to tell myself if a run gets too hard, take a break and walk. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, no matter what distance someone runs.

Exactly! a few years ago, when I was a bit fitter I trained for a half marathon. My strategy was to run 5km each and have some gel and water during a short walking break. And get through the 3 hours it would have taken me this way. Did I mention I'm a slow running? :D
  • SuzanneC1l9zz

That's awesome, you've totally got this!
  • yirara
    Ha, my whole planning is getting messed up now! I am working Friday and Sunday. Thursday is a public holiday where I can use the train for free. So my thought was: run the 10k on Saturday. It's the only day I can do this. Go on a long walk on Thursday from a town a hefty train fare away. And do a 65km cycle ride on Saturday as the weather will be nice.
    Some time later: oh, wait... :s

Oh well, I'm sure there will be other days with brilliant cycling weather.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    Yeah Saturday sounds a little intense on that plan! I'm taking this week off from formal workouts since my sleep hasn't been ideal and I just wanted a reset. Today... I think I'll go for a walk in the river valley. Got changed. Put away the dog. Shoes. Coat. Hat. WALKED OUT THE DOOR.... Riiiiight... hubby took my car this morning. <sigh>
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    So you've motivated me @yirara. It's a bit late in the month to start now, but for June I think I'm also going to do the longer walking one. If I log my dog walks I should be able to complete it fairly easily. Maybe I'll even get super ambitious and join the next 3 month one that starts in July... who knows?
  • yirara
    yes, do try it! And if it doesn't quite work out then you still walked a lot of steps or distances. Thus it does count. Maybe you could also try some light, relaxing yoga without strength or strong stretching elements. Btw, I'm still far behind on the strength badge. it's impossible to do everything!
  • yirara
    Well, I just did a 40 minutes bodyweight workout. So now I have 1/5hrs strength training for this month. I think I won't get this one. :D
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    Yeah, I'm going to wait for that one until I'm doing longer than 40 minutes a week. I rotate intensity on my strength training monthly and this month's a light one.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    It's been sunny here. In Seattle. We get about two weeks of this each summer, so everybody around here is out walking, running, cycling, and doing paddle board yoga in wet suits. We're all tired, but once a storm comes in we know it'll be 50 weeks until the sun comes out again so we're binging on vitamin d.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    Wow @NorthCascades I wouldn't survive with so little sunshine! It has such a massive effect on my mental health. Definitely take advantage of it while it's around.
  • yirara
    NorthCascade: I'd really love to visit Seattle, but the weather. You have my sympathy, having lived in two of the most rainy places in Europe (Stavanger, south of Manchester).

Right, did my walking today: about 21km. I'm still trying to do the 300k steps in a month badge that I'd failed a few times before already. Today is the 13th, and I'm currently at 160215 steps. Thus quite a bit ahead. Tomorrow will be a bit more walking as well as I'm working and will be on my feet for most of the day.
  • yirara
    Yay, I got the stupid 10k this weekend badge :D in 1:27:04. Oh well... not fast, but I did it. Needed two short walks, one at 6:20 for water and some gel as I'm currently very low in energy, and another one at 8:20 just for the sake of it. And it was drizzling for most of the run, and I got home soaking wet. But I got it. And now I'll build up properly to 10k.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    Great job! All I did for "official" exercise today was a 2 km walk with hubby and dog. Of course when we got home I mowed the lawn and planted my veggie bed (I'm not late, I'm in zone 3) so other exercise happened, just not the kind Garmin understands.
  • yirara
    So, after getting in pretty much all challenges for this month I decided that my running has to get better again. I started the 10k with timer running course with Coach Amy. I don't think I'll ever be able to run a 10k at a 7:30 pace, but it doesn't matter as that training seems to be the best for getting me to run just a bit more, a bit faster and hopefully a bit easier again. Lets see. I did the benchmark run today, strategically in the middle of my average long run pace of 8:30 and the 7:30 target. Lets see what the next runs suggests with regards to pace and distance.