Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Qualifying for COVID vaccine solely on BMI

124»

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    It is still there.
    Closed for posting in but still readable.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    There was this one (that was closed):
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10827226/covid19-to-vaccinate-or-to-not-vaccinate#latest

But there was another that got even more heated than the one above and it is nowhere to be found...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Busy911 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Doesn't seem relevant to a discussion of vaccines.

Why do you think the vaccine is more risky than getting covid?

It's incredibly relevant because the drug hasn't been tested and even for drugs which are 'tested' and 'safe' there are problems which arise which no one can foresee. Why do you think the vaccine is less risky than Covid?

So far there are more than 1.2 billion doses of the vaccine in humans all over the world and it hasn't killed one of them.

So far covid has infected about 1/10 that number and killed 3.2 million people.

I think the vaccine is less risky than covid because I'm informed.

Let's talk about long term side effects. The vaccines are not known to cause any, that doesn't mean they won't. Covid is known to cause long term side effects in people it didn't kill, including diabetes and many others. nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03553-9_reference.pdf

Welllllll . . . the blood clots are a "maybe it killed a few people" thing. For sure not very many people, but possibly some. It will take a while to be sure.

The virus has killed many, many, many people; and disabled many more others partially or severely.

The relative risk calculation is in favor of taking the vax, any of the standard multi-country-approved vaxxes. Dramatically. No question.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Serves me right for making absolute statements. 🙂

Do we know for sure the vaccines are causing the blood clots? It's so rare it could plausibly just be blood clots?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    Serves me right for making absolute statements. 🙂

Do we know for sure the vaccines are causing the blood clots? It's so rare it could plausibly just be blood clots?

I haven't seen a definitive confirmation, but it seems to be a strong suspicion. They're a weird, really rare kind of blood clots with low platelet counts alongside. That's part of the problem: The standard treatments for more common blood clot types make this type worse, and with incorrect treatment, death is more likely.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Yeah I agree it's very suggestive and suspicious.