Is anyone using New Direction products for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• tricia1020
    tricia1020 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this plan for three weeks. I haven't had much success. The "meals" do not fill me up at all. My aunt has had great success on it, though.
  • pknew25
    pknew25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found the New Direction products tasty, satisfying, filling and my cravings are gone. I have lost 20 lbs. I am motivated to keep going. However, I have hit a plateau at week six. I need suggestions, please. Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it last? Any suggestions on how to get the lbs moving again?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Hello! My husband just started the New Direction LCD program. I'm trying to plan and prepare his meals. He was given a food exchange list but nothing that explains how to use it. It seems like he is missing something in his binder. Will call the dietitian tomorrow but I do not know what to ask for. Any help will be appreciated.

I suggest logging in MFP's food diary and hit calorie/macro goals eating your ordinary food.

Solid.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    FYI to y'all: just because a program is run by doctors, that doesn't make it a good idea. A lot of these programs are run by doctors who have decided to go from helping people manage their health to just plain turning profit. Like closing down a beloved mom & pop general store and opening a Walmart. Of course, nobody blows their savings at Walmart and leaves with nothing to show for it, but that's beside the point.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    So this is what £200 a month for all the appointments plus £60 a week for the food? Yeah I wouldn't pay that! Plus what are you all going to do when you hit your goal weight? Do you know how to eat a proper balanced diet?
  • blewvelvet
    blewvelvet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started this on 10/24. 2 days lost 2 lbs. I do have some headaches/ear aches....not sure if it correllates. Also. Im surprised these foods use aspartame. I'm not a fan as long term can cause kidney stones. Would prefer they use stevia instead. But overall the food/shakes/pudding/bars..aren't bad!!! I will continue on the two week trial..see what happens. AND I make it really easy on myself..I go down to the deli salad bar and use mixed greens, beets, tomatoes, some beans and a scoop of tuna or 2 hard boiled eggs into the salad. I do the same at home...If the food does not tide me over..I make a small salad version just before bed.
  • ericwhitt
    ericwhitt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    blewvelvet wrote: »
    I started this on 10/24. 2 days lost 2 lbs. I do have some headaches/ear aches....not sure if it correllates. Also. Im surprised these foods use aspartame. I'm not a fan as long term can cause kidney stones. Would prefer they use stevia instead. But overall the food/shakes/pudding/bars..aren't bad!!! I will continue on the two week trial..see what happens. AND I make it really easy on myself..I go down to the deli salad bar and use mixed greens, beets, tomatoes, some beans and a scoop of tuna or 2 hard boiled eggs into the salad. I do the same at home...If the food does not tide me over..I make a small salad version just before bed.

You have lost 2 lbs of water weight, nothing else. Don't fall for these things. Make yourself real protein shakes for half the price if that's what you are into. Just need a protein powder, some almond/coconut milk and a bag of frozen fruit. Will end up being ~300 calories or so depending on what you brands you get.

You will get the same results if you cut their foods out and just eat healthy like you described after. That's where all the fine print for these results come form "Results are from a balanced nutrition and exercise program."
  • blewvelvet
    blewvelvet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    4th day - 10/27 headache gone..but so tired...no energy. Woke up at 3:30am till 7am..went back to sleep 7-9:45am. I would recommend starting this on a Wed or Thursday. I might have a sinus infection or an allergy..not sure if that correllates. Still down 2 lbs.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    blewvelvet wrote: »
    4th day - 10/27 headache gone..but so tired...no energy. Woke up at 3:30am till 7am..went back to sleep 7-9:45am. I would recommend starting this on a Wed or Thursday. I might have a sinus infection or an allergy..not sure if that correllates. Still down 2 lbs.

ZOMBIE THREAD alert

I've done the weight loss shakes (different brand). Lost weight - then regained it......as an overwhelming % of people do with these types of diets. Meal replacements teach us nothing. We need to figure out what we are doing wrong & change it.

As @ericwhitty pointed out - real food works for weight loss too. It's all about a calorie deficit. If you are tired & have no energy perhaps the calories of this plan are too low, or you need a different macro mix (protein, fat & carbs). There is no "magic" in weight loss shakes. It's merely a gimmick to make it easier to count calories. But these shortcuts don't help us fix our mistakes. Keeping the weight off will take an effort.
  • bettykay98
    bettykay98 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    lbee0030 wrote: »
    I'm using One Direction for my weight loss. Every time i listen to their 'music' i vomit profusely and voila ! weight loss achieved !

Bwahahahaha
  • spottedpony1
    spottedpony1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started New Direction 800 cal. Diet on 3/7/17' so far doing well with the shake, pudding, and drink. I was starving my self before so not sure if that effect weight loss? This is 2nd week and have lost 4lbs. I have knee replacement and only 45 degree bend with that leg and a bad Achilles (may need surgery). I go to pool 3x week and walk for over 1hour and 1 of those days that a water acrob. class and exercise class with new direction staff 1 day. It is hard to do exercise out of pool, do you think I will still lose a lot of weight
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I started New Direction 800 cal. Diet on 3/7/17' so far doing well with the shake, pudding, and drink. I was starving my self before so not sure if that effect weight loss? This is 2nd week and have lost 4lbs. I have knee replacement and only 45 degree bend with that leg and a bad Achilles (may need surgery). I go to pool 3x week and walk for over 1hour and 1 of those days that a water acrob. class and exercise class with new direction staff 1 day. It is hard to do exercise out of pool, do you think I will still lose a lot of weight

800 calories is starving yourself. Add in exercise and you're on a fast track to a bad time.

Also, 7 year old thread.
  • hannahv1209
    hannahv1209 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just finished the trial of the food and TODAY is my first "official" day in the program. I'm so excited there is a forum on here! I'm already down 17 lbs with just the two week trial.

Any insights from the seasoned veterans?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    I'm betting the original OP gained all the weight back. Liquid diets have the HIGHEST percentage when it comes to weight regain due to unsustainability for a lifetime.
    If users think it's a negative post, it's not. It's an informative post. What would be negative to a user is getting some results, then gaining all the weight back again after spending time and money. Money you can get back, but not time and I think it's good to let people know so they have the option to pursue a more sustainable way. Those that want to keep doing it, I can just say good luck and hope it works for you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lssbooks
    lssbooks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised at the profound lack of knowledge by those hostile to New Directions. I did a lot of research before getting on this program. Hospitals use this program. Clinical studies are done using it, such as this peer reviewed journal where Robard's VLCD New Direction products literally helped avoid liver transplants. Read yourself.

http://www.nature.com/nutd/journal/v3/n11/full/nutd201336a.html

I don't work or know them btw. So far in 4 days lost 4.2 lbs. 4 ND products plus 1 small meal a day.
    Be sure to drink your water or u will stall.
  • bevie19
    bevie19 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Started March 2017, lost 55 pounds. It was/is great. I'm eating regular food now and everything is going well. Now, I'm looking for where I can buy the actual product online.
  • babygtbck14
    babygtbck14 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    $180 every two weeks and the cost of the dietitian at each visit is $30. you must be on it for 12 weeks
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    elyelyse wrote: »
    I've been on the program since late November and I'm only averaging 1 to 1.5 lbs of weightloss per week. Its very hard to drink only liquids (800 calorie diet) and I occassionally cheat and eat solid food but I choose healthy foods when cheating. I'm disappointed in the cost of this program and wonder if other diet meal replacements would do the same thing for me at a much lower cost. I have 70 lbs to lose so I know it will be worth it in the long term, I just don't know if I can continue with the high cost and the deprivation of normal food (salads, proteins would be wonderful to eat again)!

i wish that people didn't feel the need to go to these extremes. Many people lose at that rate eating normal food, and a lot more calories. you don't have to feel deprived, you don't have to spend tons of money.

Agree except with the don't have to feel deprived point. If someone is used to eating 3000+ calories a day and needs to get to 1500-2000 to lose or maintain, there will most likely be some feeling of being deprived at least initially. This can be mitigated somewhat by lowering calories gradually

Saying you don't have to feel deprived sets a bit of false expectation IMO.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread.
This discussion has been closed.