My Doctor Said I Will Never Lose My Weight

Options

Replies

• tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,315 Member
    Options
    YOU GO!!! Tell your doctor to take a hike! I'm 68 and down 40lbs. We can do this!!
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    No offense but that doctor is an idiot. Or perhaps he was trying to goad you in to doing it. Congratulations on your loss and continued success. I admit that at 72 it is much harder for me to lose that it was at 50 or 60 but it is doable if we do it.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    There is a good saying I always keep in mind when it comes to "experts and professionals". Not everybody graduates at the head of the class......Some of them barely made it.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Perhaps he was trying to give you the motivation that he did? He may be incredibly happy and pleased with your determination and success. In any case, WELL DONE!
  • FABRICWOMAN
    FABRICWOMAN Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I needed to hear this, I have been so depressed at 54 and needing to lose 180 lbs. Who said we can't do this anyway??!!

Higgkatt, never say never. We are never too old to take care of ourselves. I wish you the best in your health journey. I was also one who at first doubted myself that I could lose weight. Take one day at a time.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Seriously, a heart doctor told me "it's not gonna happen" when I told him my weight-loss plans. So naturally I am doing it. Down 60 pounds so far. 50 more to go. He said it because of my age: 66. What he didn't know is I am getting younger by the day.

Get a new Dr. congrats keep on at it…
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    This is like my dad saying that I'm too old to learn piano. I started learning at age 48. I'm 52 now. I regularly prove him wrong by sending videos of me playing various songs of medium complexity.

If you can find another doctor, consider it. If you're locked into this one by some kind of insurance network, enjoy proving them wrong!
  • heumpirej
    heumpirej Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Seriously, a heart doctor told me "it's not gonna happen" when I told him my weight-loss plans. So naturally I am doing it. Down 60 pounds so far. 50 more to go. He said it because of my age: 66. What he didn't know is I am getting younger by the day.

Unfortunately, most medical doctors know very little about nutrition and fitness.

Sad truth!
  • fietsvrouw
    fietsvrouw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Doctors are just as prone to prejudice against people who are heavier as anyone else and in fact, a recent study showed that weight prejudice is actually more prevalent among them. It definitely shows a lack of objectivity, genuine empathy and, frankly, scientific rigor, and that affects the care you get. You should have no qualms about finding another doctor. Someone like that is likely to write off every medical issue as being a side effect of weight, and that can be deadly.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!