Losing 100 lbs With Phit-N-Phat Podcast Discussion

Options
12346»

Replies

• mmdeveau
    mmdeveau Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am interested! I think she gives me a lot of "food" for thought.

I strongly agree with a lot of her philosophy, and honestly find it hard to disagree with someone who's had the personal success she's had. I do feel that her approach is all behavior modification - a must if you're going to keep the weight off.

If I have one thing that I disagree with, and it's more of a personal thing with me, is her view of calorie-counting as a method of aiding weight loss. I would love to be an intuitive eater in the long term. I do think that the things involved with calorie counting - weighing and measuring portions - work to reprogram your brain to recognize what a normal portion of food is. I know I need that cognitive therapy in addition to the behavior modification.

For what it's worth she talks about her weekly food prep practices so even if she is not calorie counting, she is practicing fairly strict portion control. She portions whole containers of snack foods into single serving sizes so she doesn't eat from the bag and unintentionally overeat.
  • orangequilt
    orangequilt Posts: 4,189 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, I think there is value in calorie counting. My approach, when I do it, is to plan the day's food in MFP, so it comes in under my cals, which I set quite high because I don't eat back exercise cals.
    Maybe we can post any thoughts here about the weekly podcast, it would discipline me to listen to it each week, what do you think?
  • orangequilt
    orangequilt Posts: 4,189 Member
    Options
    Ok well I have made a pledge to myself to listen to the podcast each week and post something on here about it, and see if anyone is interested.
    So I like the idea of weekly planning. I'm going to plan the week's meals in advance into MFP. I have two lunches and two dinners out this week so will try to be realistic about what those might look like.
  • mmdeveau
    mmdeveau Posts: 107 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    @orangequilt - I am on and off the grid so to speak. I hate to say it's survival mode, I at least record my weight and water intake to stay in the habit of tracking. It's amazing how one seemingly small change can shift everything in your life. That's what happened to me last September. My start time at work effectively moved back a half hour. I had to adjust in many ways - now working out in the evenings vs. mornings, for example. And I work for an employer who is a prime target for hackers. They limited a lot of casual personal use of Internet-based sites at about the same time - mostly personal e-mail accounts but I voluntarily cut back on other personal Internet use and stuck with phone apps. I have slowly added back some personal use, in the case of MFP that means logging my food and water. I'm mostly only reading boards when I need a quick break, reserving any posting I might be able to do at night on my own computer. If I'm not too tired to get on my computer at night.

Add in some heavy life events, and I've really struggled to maintain the tracking habit. I think if I'd not found Corinne and her podcasts, I'd have let go completely like I have in the past. I'd have been 60 pounds heavier at this point rather than about 20 pounds heavier. I'd have stopped my exercise habits altogether. I'd like to think that means I've learned something.

All of what I've added above is to apologize for being an absent participant, and to say that I think I'm mainly a 24-hour plan type of person. If I ever make a plan.

I've followed Corinne on Instagram, and sometimes her followers or perhaps tribe members post their 24-hour plans occasionally. It's something I do mentally rather than memorialize in a journal. Maybe someday. I'm also happy to see the detail that people put into their meal plans. It's a lot less detail than what I enter here in MFP, after I've eaten!