Weight loss

Is it okay if I just want to focus on a calorie deficit and have whatever I want but as long as I'm in a deficit . I'm 19 years old . I weigh 90kg and I'm 174 cm tall. I find it hard to weightlift and eat adequate protein . My goal right now is to be in a 500 calorie deficit and another 500 calories burnt daily through walking .I know I will lose muscle .but I also know if I get to my goal weight which is around 62 kg...I can build all that lost muscle and build even more muscle . Can you guys tell me if what I'm doing is wrong or should I continue with it?I also lost 17 kg last year but gained it back .

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    sultank101 wrote: »
    Is it okay if I just want to focus on a calorie deficit and have whatever I want but as long as I'm in a deficit . I'm 19 years old . I weigh 90kg and I'm 174 cm tall. I find it hard to weightlift and eat adequate protein . My goal right now is to be in a 500 calorie deficit and another 500 calories burnt daily through walking .I know I will lose muscle .but I also know if I get to my goal weight which is around 62 kg...I can build all that lost muscle and build even more muscle . Can you guys tell me if what I'm doing is wrong or should I continue with it?I also lost 17 kg last year but gained it back .

Honestly, your goals are your business. You can do what you like. The people here, your doctors, or whoever else you talk to, can tell you what may or may not happen, but you're the one who decides what you do with that information.

My thought is to start simple and slow, and then if you want to and feel good about it you can start doing other things. I have found as I track my food and lose weight that I wanted to do some exercise and so I started. And it was easier because there was less of me and I was feeling more energetic. And I noticed that while I'm not strict on macros my protein was lower than I wanted so I started focusing on it then. I'm not up to super high levels but I am hitting my target more often than I was a month ago. And while I've done mostly cardio (running and walking) I am beginning some strength training too. But now it seems like a fun thing to do, rather than an awful boring chore.

But if I had tried that all at the beginning, it probably would have been a real challenge to do so much at one time on top of my other life responsibilities.

So, take it one day (or week, or month), at a time, reassess later, and then adapt your goals if you want to. :)
  • sultank101
    sultank101 Posts: 87 Member

Honestly, your goals are your business. You can do what you like. The people here, your doctors, or whoever else you talk to, can tell you what may or may not happen, but you're the one who decides what you do with that information.

My thought is to start simple and slow, and then if you want to and feel good about it you can start doing other things. I have found as I track my food and lose weight that I wanted to do some exercise and so I started. And it was easier because there was less of me and I was feeling more energetic. And I noticed that while I'm not strict on macros my protein was lower than I wanted so I started focusing on it then. I'm not up to super high levels but I am hitting my target more often than I was a month ago. And while I've done mostly cardio (running and walking) I am beginning some strength training too. But now it seems like a fun thing to do, rather than an awful boring chore.

But if I had tried that all at the beginning, it probably would have been a real challenge to do so much at one time on top of my other life responsibilities.

So, take it one day (or week, or month), at a time, reassess later, and then adapt your goals if you want to. :)

So how much weight do you have to lose to reach your weight goal ?
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member

Let me do some conversions here (I normally think in pounds):

I started on MFP this time at about 206 pounds (93.4 kg) and am now at 183 (83 kg), so 23 lbs (almost 10.5 kg) down.

My goal weight is 135 lbs (61 kg), but that's subject to change. I just decided to go for smack dab in the middle of the normal BMI range for my height. I'm 5'6" (167 cm) and female.

If I messed up the conversions I apologize! I know it's hard for me to follow sometimes when I'm reading threads so I decided to just post both numbers. :)
  • sultank101
    edited May 2021

Let me do some conversions here (I normally think in pounds):

I started on MFP this time at about 206 pounds (93.4 kg) and am now at 183 (83 kg), so 23 lbs (almost 10.5 kg) down.

My goal weight is 135 lbs (61 kg), but that's subject to change. I just decided to go for smack dab in the middle of the normal BMI range for my height. I'm 5'6" (167 cm) and female.

If I messed up the conversions I apologize! I know it's hard for me to follow sometimes when I'm reading threads so I decided to just post both numbers. :)

Haha it's cool..I kinda got your point
  • sultank101
    Here's the thing: it's a lot harder to build muscle than it is to lose it, which is why many will recommend that you do what you can to preserve your muscle while you're losing weight rather than focusing on rapid weight loss followed by trying to rebuild muscle. 1,000 a day is a steep deficit. There's really no solid reason to make this a punishing process.

But I'll be enjoying the foods I love
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited May 2021
    A few thoughts. You certainly CAN lose weight by eating what you want, and making sure it fits in your calories. A 500 calorie deficit daily based on your stats should be reasonable for a while.

Exercising (Walking) to burn additional calories is also a reasonable objective. On this point, however, I would advise some flexibility. If you have a day where you're hungrier than usual allow yourself to eat a little more from the 'exercise calories'. Flexibility, in general, is the key to making weight loss thru lifestyle changes work.

Last, you might have unrealistic expectations for protein needs. What is your target? Eating protein can help preserve muscle. I don't know the right # of protein grams for you daily, but in general you should be eating some of each carbs, fat, protein daily. And you could build a routine of simple bodyweight exercises to help there also.
  • sultank101
    I'm trying to incorporate more protein but I also notice I have alot of carbs. Is that bad
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I'm trying to incorporate more protein but I also notice I have alot of carbs. Is that bad

Assuming you don't have a medical reason to limit them, high carbohydrate intake is only a problem if it causes you to go over your calorie goals or it's crowding out other things that you need.