Got berated today at Planet Fitness for my mask

Replies

• rcdejong
    rcdejong Posts: 2 Member
    www.google.com

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Please correct me if I'm confused about the vaccine and ability to still catch Covid. It was my understanding, even if you've been vaccinated, you can still catch it but just a milder version so you won't end up terribly sick. And/or you could still be a carrier and pass the virus onto others? They've told people all kinds of things and I'm confused as usual, so err on the side of caution.
    FWIW I was fully vaccinated back in March and still will wear a mask, *especially* if a sign on a business tells me too. To me, it's common courtesy and respect.

[ I don't think anyone's grandma deserves to die horribly just so I can be slightly more comfortable in public.

Well now, evidently you haven't met my grandma.

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Please correct me if I'm confused about the vaccine and ability to still catch Covid. It was my understanding, even if you've been vaccinated, you can still catch it but just a milder version so you won't end up terribly sick. And/or you could still be a carrier and pass the virus onto others? They've told people all kinds of things and I'm confused as usual, so err on the side of caution.
    FWIW I was fully vaccinated back in March and still will wear a mask, *especially* if a sign on a business tells me too. To me, it's common courtesy and respect.

That was the experience in a long-term care home here (very vulnerable elderly population). The vaccinated residents still caught Covid, at least to the extent that they tested positive for the virus, but had either very mild symptoms or were completely asymptomatic. The virus definitely spread but impossible to tell to what extent it was transmitted by vaccinated or unvaccinated persons in that environment.

Contrast that with an earlier pre-vaccine long-term care home outbreak, which accounted for slightly more than a third of our total local Covid deaths.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    jmitts2 wrote: »
    He is following the rules, he is wearing a mask. The purpose of the mask is to protect those around you and he wasn't near anyone. If you are still worried about Covid at this point, get your shot or stay at home.
    Or if you don't want to follow the rules..................you stay at home. Cutting a hole in a mask ISN'T following the rules.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Everywhere we go, there are rules to follow, whether it's at the personal, local, state, federal, universal, etc. levels. Why is wearing a mask such a difficult concept to understand and adhere to? I just don't get it??
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I'm not sure which is more troubling, the varied opinions about the covid virus and its ramifications........ or the fact that the OP was training at Planet Fitness.

PF is the only game in town in some areas (or the only game in town that isn't $$$/month). My local area has a couple of Planets Fitness and several boutique gyms and studios, both general and focused on a particular sport (boxing, pilates, Crossfit, etc). Planet Fitness is ten bucks a month. The boutique gyms start at $50, for the crappy one across town that you can smell from the parking lot, full of 30-year-old equipment in various states of disrepair and weird stains on the floor. (Yeah, it's a Gold's, how did you guess?)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I canceled my PF membership because I can't work out with a mask on. I decided that I'll work out at home and in the future, decide if I want to get a new membership or not whenever all this is over. I'm also allergic to the hand sanitizer that people are smearing on everything. I could wear gloves, but that's almost as annoying as the mask.

If you don't want to cancel the membership, try getting one of the masks that has a vent thing built into it. If it's commercially made that way they won't count it the same as a hole.