Condor Peak -San Gabriel Mountains

I’ve read about this hike and really only serious hikers do it. So I decided to try it and finish it before the really hot weather hits here.

Condor Peak is located in Tujunga Canyon and is 15.75 miles with 4,258 elevation gain. The peak is at 5046 ft and was originally named fir Condors who used the area as a habitat long ago.

This is a long hike with a lot of trail variation (smooth, sandy, rocky,scramble). I missed the first switchback so added some mileage. Overall the trail is narrow and ascends gradually

367qoxzit4hl.jpeg
nucjamdfg9h3.jpeg
nliny0bv1ekb.jpeg

I had some nice cool breezes along the way as the altitude climbed and wrapped around the mountains.

d63uv90xymo2.jpeg
w7uo26fayd2g.jpeg
v471nbfjnrcl.jpeg

The scramble at the end was quite the event. Someone told me it was a class 2. Views from the summit were clear and I could see on the descent the Big Tujunga Reservoir. I was the only person on the trail.

aieok6ailk0w.jpeg
oo9830rfgvpu.jpeg
h5hf2k616xzi.jpeg
d74nmduet334.jpeg
gibhfm0izio2.jpeg

Won’t be hiking here again until the fall due to high temps. It was a good day.

Replies

• bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Beautiful!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    You are a very brave, very fit woman! Thanks for that trip report, I would never even attempt that one.

What is the scramble at the end? I don't know that terminology.

Have a pizza! I'm buying. :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    I used my Google for the "scramble."
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    I used my Google for the "scramble."

Rock scramble means climbing up over boulders using your hands/feet . In this case it was a steep scramble through a cascade of boulders to get to the summit.