Too much fibre?

2»

Replies

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    @Bella_Figura
    Did you increase your fiber intake quickly?

No, not really. Even when I'm not focusing on healthy eating I try to always get more than 25g of fibre a day, so I've only increased by about 5g a day. I rarely find it easy to poop, but it definitely gets more difficult when I reduce my fat intake.

It's also possible you have IBS and didn't know it, as some high-fiber "good-for-you" foods can actually increase symptoms. This is part of my problem, actually, so for me it's about finding the right balance and the right foods.

I've never considered that it might be IBS-C because I don't have cramps, gas, bloating etc. I know there's some overlap between chronic constipation and IBS-C, but I seem to have few or none of the other IBS symptoms. I will look into this though, so thanks for the suggestion.

I know this is TMI, but do you have other problems down there--like urinary frequency, leaking, not feeling like your bladder is empty after you go? Because if you don't experience any other digestive problems, than maybe it's related to your pelvic floor muscles?

I was thinking this too! I’m so glad you brought it up. I’m a 30 yo F with zero kids and I needed to go to pelvic floor pt due to urethral prolapse caused from straining. The PT helped me learn how to coordinate those muscles and it improved the way things evacuate because it makes you aware of how you’re using your body as you have a bm. If the increase in fat and others foods don’t help/ talking with your doctor... it could be worth a try.

Yeah, it's a definitely a myth that women can't have these kinds of issues if they've never had kids. In fact, these issues may prevent some women from getting pregnant (at least the old-fashioned way).I had pelvic floor issues long before kids, and only recently have I had an issues with peeing, almost 10 years after my youngest (and via C-section, too, for both).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member

No, not really. Even when I'm not focusing on healthy eating I try to always get more than 25g of fibre a day, so I've only increased by about 5g a day. I rarely find it easy to poop, but it definitely gets more difficult when I reduce my fat intake.

It's also possible you have IBS and didn't know it, as some high-fiber "good-for-you" foods can actually increase symptoms. This is part of my problem, actually, so for me it's about finding the right balance and the right foods.

I've never considered that it might be IBS-C because I don't have cramps, gas, bloating etc. I know there's some overlap between chronic constipation and IBS-C, but I seem to have few or none of the other IBS symptoms. I will look into this though, so thanks for the suggestion.

I know this is TMI, but do you have other problems down there--like urinary frequency, leaking, not feeling like your bladder is empty after you go? Because if you don't experience any other digestive problems, than maybe it's related to your pelvic floor muscles?

I'm not disputing that this is worth considering - not at all. It's a definite possibility.

But in light of multiple posts focusing on pelvic floor issues, I'd say this in the interests of what I hope is clarification: I'd had constipation issues starting back in my 30s/40s, and was diagnosed with IBS/C. Referencing the bolded in a quote from OP (below), I can't say that I've had any unusual issues with cramps, gas, bloating, etc.

Discomfort is a key part of the Rome criteria for diagnosing IBS, IMU, but that discomfort could be the unpleasant fullness associated with the constipation itself (which I don't think is necessarily "bloating", though the latter is a very non-specific term). Clearly, retained waste has volume, and the volume can cause abdominal discomfort, but is that "bloating"? I don't know. The discomfort can also be the sensations associated with passing very firm stool. IMU, it can be discomfort short of what most would call actual pain.

I'm childless, had zero other signs of pelvic floor dysfunction at the time I was diagnosed with IBS-C.

IMU, the diagnostic criteria for IBS are: "abdominal pain and discomfort lasting on average at least one day a week in the last three months, associated with at least two of these factors: Pain and discomfort are related to defecation, the frequency of defecation is altered, or stool consistency is altered."**

A reasonable doctor will also rule out other serious conditions that might cause those symptoms, of course.

** Described lots of places, but quoted from here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/irritable-bowel-syndrome/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20360064

I'm not diagnosing the OP - that would be irresponsible. I'm also not criticizing others for bringing up the possibility of pelvic floor issues, which is a useful thing to consider. I'm just clarifying that in my understanding, the definition of IBS-C may encompass a less severe symptom set that some might expect.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Discomfort is a key part of the Rome criteria for diagnosing IBS, IMU, but that discomfort could be the unpleasant fullness associated with the constipation itself (which I don't think is necessarily "bloating", though the latter is a very non-specific term). Clearly, retained waste has volume, and the volume can cause abdominal discomfort, but is that "bloating"? I don't know. The discomfort can also be the sensations associated with passing very firm stool. IMU, it can be discomfort short of what most would call actual pain.

I agree that "bloating" is a bit of a vague term but, having recently lost intestinal motility, I can confirm that significant amounts of retained waste definitely cause abdominal distention (at times I appeared about 5 months pregnant), which some would probably call bloating. Although my issues were likely exacerbated by using polyethelene glycol per my doctor's instructions, despite the fact that stool consistency was never the problem, which only added to the intestinal water content and volume. And, yes, there is a fair amount of pain involved when the distension reaches extreme levels. I used to wonder how much my bowels could possible stretch without exploding.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    Someone can react to casein the protein in dairy rather than the lactose. Its said casein intolerance is more common than lactose issues. Intolerances can happen at any age, are more inclined as one matures.
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,585 Member
    UPDATE

Well, I'm astonished. Yesterday (Saturday) was my first day of eating a low fibre diet. Presupposing that too much fibre was causing my issues (which was by no means probable), I didn't expect any alleviation of my hard stool/evacuation issues for at least a week or two, while the previously high levels of fibre left my system.

Instead, the effect has been astonishingly fast.

I woke up this morning at my usual time, and immediately felt that I could go. I pooped without any difficulty. While not being of 'toothpaste consistency' (not that I examined it TOO closely!) it definitely wasn't lumpy, pellet-like or hard. A couple of hours later, after breakfast, a five mile walk and a bit of gardening, I went a second time. Same result.

This is like day and night from how I've been pooping for the past two and a half months (since I increased my fibre and started eating less fat). My water/fluid intake is essentially unchanged. Here's the pattern for the past week (which has been pretty much the pattern since 17th March)

Mon: Fibre 30g / Fat 40g / Protein 82g / Water/Fluid 3.3 litres / Poop: Nope
    Tue: Fibre 29g / Fat 43g / Protein 57g / Water/Fluid 3.7 litres / Poop: Yes, hard, painful
    Wed: Fibre 29g / Fat 30g / Protein 80g / Water/Fluid 3.5 litres / Poop: Nope
    Thu: Fibre 32g / Fat 37g / Protein 44g / Water/Fluid 3.3 litres / Poop: Yes, hard, pellet-like, painful
    Fri: Fibre 32g / Fat 45g / Protein 60g / Water/Fluid 3.9 litres / Poop: Nope
    Sat: Fibre 9g / Fat 57g / Protein 49g / Water/Fluid 3.8 litres / Poop: Yes, hard, pellet-like, painful

Sun: Fibre 5g / Fat 59g / Protein 63g / Water/Fluid 3.7 litres / Poop: Yes, twice, painless, easy to pass

So just one day of lower fibre and higher fat and there was encouraging progress.

Hopefully tomorrow will show that this wasn't just a fluke....
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'm not disputing that this is worth considering - not at all. It's a definite possibility.

But in light of multiple posts focusing on pelvic floor issues, I'd say this in the interests of what I hope is clarification: I'd had constipation issues starting back in my 30s/40s, and was diagnosed with IBS/C. Referencing the bolded in a quote from OP (below), I can't say that I've had any unusual issues with cramps, gas, bloating, etc.

I'm childless, had zero other signs of pelvic floor dysfunction at the time I was diagnosed with IBS-C.

IMU, the diagnostic criteria for IBS are: "abdominal pain and discomfort lasting on average at least one day a week in the last three months, associated with at least two of these factors: Pain and discomfort are related to defecation, the frequency of defecation is altered, or stool consistency is altered."**

A reasonable doctor will also rule out other serious conditions that might cause those symptoms, of course.

** Described lots of places, but quoted from here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/irritable-bowel-syndrome/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20360064

I'm not diagnosing the OP - that would be irresponsible. I'm also not criticizing others for bringing up the possibility of pelvic floor issues, which is a useful thing to consider. I'm just clarifying that in my understanding, the definition of IBS-C may encompass a less severe symptom set that some might expect.

Oh, I agree with everything you've said. I'm one of the "lucky" ones who actually has both issues--IBS and pelvic floor dysfunction--yay! Sometimes it's hard for even me to know what is causing what, and unfortunately in my experiences doctors are quick to relate it to diet and/or throw medication at the issue. If I hadn't had pelvic floor stuff that caused other issues, I don't think I would've even thought it could be part of it. In my case, I *think* the IBS is more of the issue than the pelvic floor, but who really knows.

In any case, it sounds like the OP has got it sorted out and it was a relatively easy fix!