How To Break Through Plateaus!

Hello everyone! Haven’t posted any new discussions in awhile so I thought I’d start a new thread for anyone interested. In my opinion, one of the biggest discouragements and reasons people stop exercising and staying consistent is when they encounter diet plateaus. I thought it would be very helpful for anyone new or novice in their fitness journeys to have ideas and strategies you have found successful when encountering your own personal plateaus. If possible, explain your situation at the time and what steps you took to overcome and continue past these barriers. Will be interesting to read and perhaps gain some insight as to better one another. And yes, we’re all different and what worked for you may not work for me; however it never hurts to hear motivational stories from other people to help us realize it’s a perfectly normal bodily process and doesn’t mean that when we encounter these difficult milestones we have done anything wrong per-say and throw in the towel.

Replies

• wowisforstuds1238
    wowisforstuds1238 Posts: 77 Member
    For me personally, I have been dieting and trying to lose weight for a little over 4 months. I have encountered 3 at this point so far and each time has lasted progressively longer then the last. For each plateau I have experienced, I have found that taking a little time off from dieting while still maintaining light cardio and weight lifting was the “trick” to tricking my metabolism and shocking my body back helping my metabolism to burn faster once again once I started back on my diet. Last week, I took the entire week off from not only dieting, but from exercising as well and put on a little over 4 pounds in water/fat; however when starting back I have dropped down even lower and finally broke through enabling me to stay motivated and consistent.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    I’m in maintenance now but back when I was losing weight and the scale didn’t move for weeks, what worked for me was going for an 8 mile hike. The scale would always go up for a few days after an 8 mile hike (from water retention) but then trend down again and I’d start losing weight again, of course I was still counting all my calories and always ate back all my exercise calories. Disclaimer: this might not be a realistic option for everyone to do and might not work for everyone though! Just my personal experience. The most important thing would be to tighten up your logging, weigh every food consumed and be honest in logging how much you are eating including snacks, cooking oils and condiments, drinks, etc. Be realistic about how many calories you earn during exercise. I found MFP calorie burn calculations run high so I don’t use those, I found an app (iRunner) that calculates my calories much more realistically and have used it for 7+ years and it’s been very accurate for me. Keep trying different strategies because through trial and error you will figure out what works best for you :) good luck!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    For me personally, I have been dieting and trying to lose weight for a little over 4 months. I have encountered 3 at this point so far and each time has lasted progressively longer then the last. For each plateau I have experienced, I have found that taking a little time off from dieting while still maintaining light cardio and weight lifting was the “trick” to tricking my metabolism and shocking my body back helping my metabolism to burn faster once again once I started back on my diet. Last week, I took the entire week off from not only dieting, but from exercising as well and put on a little over 4 pounds in water/fat; however when starting back I have dropped down even lower and finally broke through enabling me to stay motivated and consistent.

Three plateaus (six weeks or more without weight loss) is impossible in four months. I think the issue is that you're defining "plateau" as a short period without weight loss. There are virtually always going to be shorter periods without weight loss while one is losing weight. I think the trick for these is to do the usual checks to make sure one is estimating calories in and out accurately and then just stay on plan.