Meeting calories as a vegetarian can be hard! Any tips? :)

coblekay
coblekay Posts: 3 Member
Just started 3weeks ago and im loving it but can be hard to meet the calorie requirements as a vegetarian, i eat fish so im eating it most days :/ no lack of omega 3 here! xD any other recipes or tips for a veggie would be appreciated :)

Replies

• 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    Peanut butter and ice cream :)
  • DyneSalcar
    DyneSalcar Posts: 45 Member
    Full fat dairy, legumes, olives, avocados, nuts/nut butters, healthy oils (olive, avocado, coconut). Some vegetarians eat eggs, which could definitely help, plus give you an awesome nutritional boost.
  • coblekay
    If you’re a pescatarian (vegetarians don’t eat fish), and you’re not able to meet your calorie target then add in some more dairy, nuts, seeds, fats (avocado, olive oil etc), grains, legumes etc.

I’ve been a vegetarian for a long time and have been overweight in the past, so it’s definitely not difficult to get calories without meat! 😂

I know it sounds silly but whenever i say im a pescatarian people don't recognize the word xD so vegetarian that eats fish is my go too explanation haha iv only cut out meat this last year so i guess im just getting used to it, im also lactose intolerant which doesn't help lol so i have to make everything from scratch with lactose free cheese/milk. Iv been snacking a lot to make up my calories, pom bear crisps, yoghurts and fruit.
  • EimearTheDreamer4
    EimearTheDreamer4 Posts: 49 Member
    I sometimes struggle hitting my calorie goals too; my go-to snack is dry roasted soy nuts at the moment! Just soak some soy beans overnight, drain, dry, salt and stick into the oven until crispy. They're also super-cheap and are a wonderful little protein-and-carb boost for after a workout!
  • georgieamber2
    georgieamber2 Posts: 229 Member
    Cut out the processed snacks, and eat bigger portions
  • IamFitISH
    IamFitISH Posts: 50 Member
    I am not a vegetarian and I am not sure what it’s like but maybe try more olive oils, nuts, healthy deserts (blueberry’s with whipped cream) or maybe caramel with apples. Also, maybe try dried foods like dehydrated apples, bananas, and Strawberries since it is smaller than its original form so it may be easier to eat more.
  • Rimtimtim
    Rimtimtim Posts: 21 Member
    edited June 2021
    What is your calorie goal now?
    How does your meal look like now? Would you open your diary?
    Do you have enough protein sources?
    Also; don't forget your supplements!

I have a low calorie goal to begin with, around 1500, but they are easy to adjust for more calories. My diary is open (though I'm not great at logging snacking on fruit/veggies). These are my good day meals. I am terrible at logging good days, so my diary is mostly candy and red bull.

400 calories - Smoothie: frozen fruit with a few supplements, some protein powder, and soy milk that has extra protein.

400 calories - Oatmeal with frozen smoothie mix, some protein powder, soy milk, and whatever nuts and seeds I have on hand (right now mostly chia, flax, and hemp)

500 calories - Frozen veggie mix of some sort, spalsh of oil, nutritional yeast frozen vegan protein source (edame beans, legumes, or mock meats), spices, dressing.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,820 Member
    I used to eat 100% plant based and was in the obese BMI category. Evidently getting enough calories wasn't hard for me 😉
  • Rimtimtim
    Rimtimtim Posts: 21 Member
    I used to eat 100% plant based and was in the obese BMI category. Evidently getting enough calories wasn't hard for me 😉

Depending on how strict you are Oreos and a lot of other junk food is vegan.

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Rimtimtim wrote: »

Depending on how strict you are Oreos and a lot of other junk food is vegan.

Not the issue. I've never been a junk food eater. Portion sizes were always the problem 🙁
  • tvm1970
    tvm1970 Posts: 162 Member
    I'm plant based and have no trouble hitting my macros including calories. I'd be interested to know what your target is.
  • coblekay
    Im currently on 1776 and iv lost my first stone! So i must be doing something right :)

Breakfast is usually coco pops
    I wanted something i would enjoy that would fill me

Dinner is always 400 calories roughly
    Cottage cheese with crackers
    Baked potato or
    Noodles

Dinner is usually fish with either rice or vegetables and mini hashbrown waffles or
    Veggie chilli
    Veggie lasagna

And i have some snacks if i have calories left which i always do.
    Mini haribo
    Ice lollies
    Seafood sticks
    Olives
    Muller corner yoghurt

I try always leave myself some snacking calories on a night now to curb those night time cravings
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    I have terrible trouble reaching mine! I can usually get to the total calories (right around 1400 for the day), but I have serious trouble getting 100 g of protein and sometimes even getting to 80. I add protein powder to almost everything I can! Each meal is around 300 calories and the snacks in between (cottage cheese and fruit, dried fruit and nuts, string cheese, etc) bring me up to the total, but I do have problems with protein.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    A plant-based (or predominantly plant-based) eating regime is going to be more satiating because of the fiber you're eating.

As mentioned a few times above, aim for calorie dense foods. For example, I had a cup of relatively plain quinoa last night: 300+ calories.

Another option would be to consider reducing your caloric expenditure via exercise so that you get to your net calorie goals for the week.
  • Agion3
    Agion3 Posts: 15 Member
    edited June 2021
    Add fat. 9kcal/gram.